Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the paid subscription to remote start from the app? It sounds cool to have and convenient if I lost my keys...but is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Escalade ESV Platinum
280 Posts
I've got a 2018 and it came with a few years free where I can use the app to remote start, unlock doors etc. The status screen in the app which shows tire pressures, oil percentage etc has been turned off but everything else is still working.

Anyways, I like having the ability to start from the app. When we visit places like Disney World in August, I use the app from within the park to start the truck when we're walking out so by the time we get to the truck it is cooled a little. Having the ability to start from a far far greater distance than the remote fob allows is nice. I also like using it to unlock and lock the doors if I'm in my driveway and need something out of the truck and my keys are still in the house.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the remote access plan, which is the plan you need for the remote start. it also includes:
Remote Key Fob
Remotely start/stop your properly equipped vehicle, lock/unlock the doors or sound the horn and lights, all from your compatible smartphone.
Vehicle Status
View your fuel level in percentage, approximate number of litres remaining and kilometres until empty. View your estimated remaining oil life as a percentage.
Vehicle Locate
See your vehicle's location on a map and set and share custom boundary notifications for arrivals and departures.
Amazon Alexa Skill/Google Assistant*
Enjoy even more ways to interact with your vehicle from a voice assistant device; commands only available in English.
Send-to-Vehicle Navigation
Send a destination to your vehicle so it’s ready to go when you are.
Smart Driver
Understand your driving habits. See how you compare to other anonymous drivers and get tips that can help you improve your driving.

I use Send-to-Vehicle Navigation a lot more than remote start. I paid $100ca for the year.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the remote access plan, which is the plan you need for the remote start. it also includes:
Remote Key Fob
Remotely start/stop your properly equipped vehicle, lock/unlock the doors or sound the horn and lights, all from your compatible smartphone.
Vehicle Status
View your fuel level in percentage, approximate number of litres remaining and kilometres until empty. View your estimated remaining oil life as a percentage.
Vehicle Locate
See your vehicle's location on a map and set and share custom boundary notifications for arrivals and departures.
Amazon Alexa Skill/Google Assistant*
Enjoy even more ways to interact with your vehicle from a voice assistant device; commands only available in English.
Send-to-Vehicle Navigation
Send a destination to your vehicle so it’s ready to go when you are.
Smart Driver
Understand your driving habits. See how you compare to other anonymous drivers and get tips that can help you improve your driving.

I use Send-to-Vehicle Navigation a lot more than remote start. I paid $100ca for the year.
This seems worth it. There’s plenty of times I wished the push navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
when you talk to them on the phone, ask them if they have any specials...sometimes they tell you right off the bat sometimes they don't. They are also negotiable on the price to some degree. actually really nice people to talk to, very accommodating.

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,278 Posts
Depends if you need it or if you park far from your house. If you park within range of your factory remote than I would pass.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,920 Posts
They offered it to me for 9.99/mo after my trial ended. I won't need it until winter months. BTW, if you don't have it activated, press OnStar, ask for a trial. Free month!

·
Registered
2018 CTS Luxury 3.6 RWD
29 Posts
They offered it to me for 9.99/mo after my trial ended. I won't need it until winter months. BTW, if you don't have it activated, press OnStar, ask for a trial. Free month!
I pay half regular price ($15). So after tax or whatever they add it’s about $8.50. Just called onstar when my trial was ending and told them it wasn’t worth their price to me even though it could be mildly convenient.

Summer heat in texas, worth every penny at half price to have it start as I get up from my desk.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,674 Posts
The question is..Are you worth the money? OnStar have saved me in a few situations (like locking my keys in my trunk...it's a long story). i love to remote start my car from my office. There's a minute delay though. It's reassuring that when i go to my local watering spots, my car isn't stolen because i got those locations registered under my vehicle locate address. it notifies me when the the car is moved. and if it's stolen I can OnStar locate it and help the police find it. when found thy shut the fuel system off for a safe capture. Should i get into an accident, it automatically calls me and the emergency personnel. just in case i can't. just something to think about.

·
Registered
18 ESV Pemium &18 XT5 Premium
85 Posts
I bought a year with a pretty large discount when I got mine. It runs out this week. They called and offered me 3 free moths and $14.99 after that. I passed. However, I've linked the My Cadillac app to my Alexa skills. Pretty neat. I've read I'll lose that when my subscription to the remote key fob runs out. Any tricks to getting a discount?

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
925 Posts
This is most curious....

I use remote start on the app all the time, but I have NEVER, EVER paid for any OnStar subscription.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,674 Posts
This is most curious....

I use remote start on the app all the time, but I have NEVER, EVER paid for any OnStar subscription.
(ssshhhh...)

·
Registered
2017 CT6 Plug-in
19 Posts
This is most curious....

Ditto. Until today. The app kept giving me an error and telling me to contact OnStar. I’ve never had to pay to use Remote Start in the app as long as I was registered for the free Basic Plan.

When I called OnStar from the car, I was told Remote Start only worked with a paid plan. Not sure when that changed but I received no notice and have been able to do this for years!

I also noticed that the app for my vehicle - the CT6 PHEV - no longer says Remote Start on the FOB screen. It now says Pre Condition. That’s new and when I did a search, I found that it’s designed to start the climate control but doesn’t turn on the gas engine so it’s not technically “starting” the car.

·
Registered
2017 CT6 Plug-in
19 Posts
This is still posted on the MyCadillac website:

That means we SHOULD still be able to use the MyCadillac app to remotely perform door unlocks and starts...for FIVE years on the basic FREE plan. There's no disclaimer that the free services are subject to change as long as the vehicle had the ability to access them in the first place. I'll be contacting Cadillac on Monday to see what they say. I took screen shots of everything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts