Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally finished the cam swap in my 88 brougham :yup: . weeeeeeee.

what a difference. some lope at idle. very nice. its also very touchy though. seems to have a lot more power than i remember. of course i have been driving a 1989 geo spectrum 5 sp, 70 hp since august. but the tire, sometimes tires just let lose immediately. so much fun. and when i hit the gas and they dont spin. the back end squats down and the nose goes way up. along with a hell of a rumble. no muffler!!!:stirpot: . im gonna have fun with this car. i cant wait till winter is over and i start driving it again.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Which cam did you install?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cam from a 307 vin 9. and i did some other odds and ends with tuning and advanced the timing slightly

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as to power at the crank not sure. the 307 vin 9 was rated at 180 hp if i remember correctly

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Yup, 307 "9"s were 180hp. You might find some drivability enhancement by resetting the carb to "9" specs too, they had a few different settings like rich stop and float level. BUT, the later carbs started doing away with rich stop adjustment, as people would mess with it and mess it up thinking they could make the car richer, so they took it away. It isn't for "power" per se, it is really for the centering the integrator (aka short term fuel correction), which is the ECM's interpretation of the O2 sensor readings into something the ECM can understand, a digital value of 0-255. Centers on 128 (0.45v O2, aka, stochiometric, or best burn for emissions), and lower is richer (higher O2 voltage--Pulling out fuel) and higher is leaner (lean O2--Adding fuel)

With this cam you will see some improvements in higher rpm power, and most definately see some power improvement with the older 5A heads and intake. The .440 lift cam (the "9") cam raises rpm levels for peak power, so it might hurt a little bottom end.

Low restriction exhaust would also be a bigger benefit now too.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it didnt seem to hurt the bottom end much at all.

the only problem i am having now is the maze of vacuum lines. and also i need to get new valve covers. i was unable to fix the leaks caused by the gorilla who took them off last time.

on examination of the valve covers, the edges were bent up as though the pried on one side at a time to get them off. so new ones are needed soon

my friend said that olds big block valve covers will work for olds small blocks, you just wont use all of the bolt holes.

is this correct?

D

·
0 Posts
pimpin88 said:
my friend said that olds big block valve covers will work for olds small blocks, you just wont use all of the bolt holes.
is this correct?
Yes it is!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet, thanks. that means i wont have to go spending gobs of money for aluminum ones. i'll get my valve covers for free!!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts