Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
ATS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the other day my wife reported seeing smoke coming from the engine compartment but no odor. I checked it out and didn’t see or smell anything. I checked the dipstick and the oil was a little low so I topped it off. The next day I drive the car and notice smoke coming from the engine compartment on the driver's side. I pull over and check and sure enough, I spot a drip, drip coming off of a connector wire waaay of in the back of the engine compartment and dripping onto block just about where the transmission and engine me. So we limp home (we were a few miles from home), during the ride home the low oil indicator came on. During both incidents the car never overheated. So we get home, park the car and let the car sit. After a while, I come out to check on it and there is a huge puddle of oil under the car just about where the engine and tranny attach.

All of that to say this. I tried my best to try to ascertain where the leak is coming from but cannot get back there enough to identify the location. I got under the car and inspected the drain plug, filter, and pan gasket to rule those out. The leak definitely seems to be coming from up top, it is leaking fast, and appears to be on the driver's side.

I know diagnosing something like this from your computer screen is a tall ask, but if I could get a hint, idea, tips to diagnose or some likely culprits that would be really helpful to give me an idea of what we are potentially looking if we have to take this to our Cadillac dealership.

About the car:
2014 Cadillac ATS Luxury, 4 cyl 2.5, non-turbo. 168k miles.

Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
833 Posts
I'm no expert, but that sounds like a rear main seal to me. Would at least require them to drop the transmission to get at. I'll defer to the more knowledgeable on here, though.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,046 Posts
... The leak definitely seems to be coming from up top, it is leaking fast, and appears to be on the driver's side. ...
Instead of the rear main seal which I'd think would be much slower to develop over time, I'd guess possibly something that accesses the oil gallery in the cylinder head is leaking onto the exhaust causing it to vaporize ("smoke") and/or run down the back of the motor to the area of the rear main seal and onto the floor. Where's the oil filter on the 2.5L?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Where's the oil filter on the 2.5L?
If it helps with the diagnosis, from every picture that I've seen the 2.5L LCV and the 2.0T LTG are almost identical. The filter's in the same place and almost all of the hoses are too. Heck, pull the turbo/exhaust manifold off and it's hard to tell the difference.

·
Registered
ATS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I took it to Cadillac. They told me the vacuum pump cracked/gave out. They said it is a high pressure item the oil travels through. Does that sound correct? Never heard of a vacuum pump before now.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If I'm reading things correctly, the vacuum pump is at the back of the engine and bolts up to the valve cover. In this picture, it's that cylindrical part with the blue connector cover sticking straight up:

s-l1600.jpg

and here's the pump itself:

ado-12660670_gj_xl.jpg ado-12660670_xl.jpg

Looks like it's driven by the exhaust cam. I couldn't tell you if it moves oil around or not (probably does), but being bolted to the valve cover (and potentially slotted into the end of a cam) I'd think it would at least let oil out when the engine is running. It looks fairly robust, too, I wonder how it cracked.

·
Registered
ATS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I'm reading things correctly, the vacuum pump is at the back of the engine and bolts up to the valve cover. In this picture, it's that cylindrical part with the blue connector cover sticking straight up:

View attachment 585649

and here's the pump itself:

View attachment 585650 View attachment 585651

Looks like it's driven by the exhaust cam. I couldn't tell you if it moves oil around or not (probably does), but being bolted to the valve cover (and potentially slotted into the end of a cam) I'd think it would at least let oil out when the engine is running. It looks fairly robust, too, I wonder how it cracked.
Thanks for the input...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts