Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 deville 4.1L and my alternator died on me. Well the first symption I noticed that the interior dash lights wasn't bright like they used to and when I would accerate the no charge like would come on. It flickered 3 times and between those two. First times the car ran fine but the lights were low. So I got to my destination and on the way back the radio display flickered like the battery was dieing and you could feel the car losing power. So I inspeceted the belt no problems. Alt connections snug and clean and. When I had the car towed home I put a voltage meter to it and it was at 11.0 volts and it drove into the garage and the no charge light was not on. I have a 240amp alt which is a upgraded high output but its oem fit. Could this be a bad cable or its the alt. Before I had alternator problems I tried to jump another cadillac a 93 4.9L and no sucess in that could this be the reason why my alternator died

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Best way to check the alternator is to look at the voltage with the car running. the bat v should be between 13.5 and 14 volts because that is the alternator output going out to charge the battery. If not then the alt could be bad or the voltage regulator inside of it is bad. Normally with correct hook-up jump starting a car would not damage the alternator

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i was getting 11.0 and it went upp a lil bit but stayed at that level. i know that the alt keep the car running after its started could the excessive demand by jumping the car kill the alt. or could it be my battery that was damaged.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 2000
16 Posts
Even if the battery was damaged the alt would still charge at 14.5 V it's possible that your voltage regulator died on you but you can still get it tested and repaired at a starter/alternator repair shop. Or if you can replace it yourself than check for a used one in a used parts store. You might have to get your battery tested which most parts stores can do for you once it is removed from the car.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
That alternator is pretty easy to split and repair. I recall having one die on a 4.1 and I removed it and opened it up. Turned out a diode had gone bad. I bought a diode bridge and a regulator (since I was already in there) for around $20 (many moons ago) and it was as good as new. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah my neighbor told me the diode could be the problem, i took a old alternator apart to see if i could put it back together and wasnt succesful . the part i was having trouble is the two springs that came on the bottom of the alt. wouldnt stay still. im going to have to get it fixed its an aftermarket alt and it costed me a pretty penny so till i can get it fixed my best option is to put a new one in there and keep it on the side in case my good one dies. i kno i can save money by fixing the other on but i need my car . sucks:(

·
Super Moderator
87,115 Posts
the part i was having trouble is the two springs that came on the bottom of the alt. wouldnt stay still.
Are you talking about the brushes? You have to stick something like a long slender screwdriver blade in from behind to hold them open when you put it together, THEN pull whatever you used and let the brushes snap closed onto the commutator.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nim might be the brushes its at the back of it where the alternator have the pos feed on it . in the inside there are two magnets connected there are two springs in the insidewhen i try to close it to put it back togwether the springs jump out of polace and it doesnt go back together. so is it worth rewbuilding . its a high output alternator and i dont want 600 to go down the drain

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Yes that's the brush springs. Easy as pie if you do it Ranger's way. the springs push the little carbon looking squares (brushes) against the spinning shaft thingy for a tight fit . Necessary because that's where the voltage is generated from. then goes to the regulator. At high rpms that raw unregulated voltage is enough to cook your battery. If that is what happened your battery it will look slightly melted here and there, possible destroying the plates so that it won't hold a charge. Get your battery re-charged and load tested at most part stores for free.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i put a oem one 120a and i went to a mom pop shop and got a second qoute for 75 rebuilt. i put the alternator in there let it run and i smelled a burning smell. but the not charged light wasnt on. my battery is 800cca 1000 cranking wht went wrong. the alt the one i had in the car was bad. a mom and pop shop told me tht if i use a smaller alt i have to get a smaller battery.

·
Super Moderator
87,115 Posts
If you have the alternator out it should not cost too much to have a shop that rebuilds them do it for you.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah thats my next plan i put a rebuilt one from kragen 120a and it got warm and smoked. i talked to one shop and they said they could rebuild it but since its aftermarket they duplicate it cause its has a higher amperage and its oem fit. i found another shop that can do it. im gonna try them tomorrow. could a dead cell in the battery make the alternator die like that

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thanks anyays im going to have it tested its free and doesnt hurt to have it tested

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i went to the shop and the guy told me i had a bad diode and the postive lead should had been bigger. so basically the shop sold me a bootleg half modded alternator. and he was suprised it lasted that long

1 - 15 of 15 Posts