Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2-15-2011 071a.jpg 2-15-2011 069a.jpg 2-15-2011 066A.jpg 2-15-2011 072a.jpg 2-15-2011 064A.jpg 2-15-2011 064A.jpg

Here's a few photos I took yesterday at Midwest Cadillac Repair/Palatine,Illinois.
I haven't gotten the car back yet and the proof,of course is in the pudding, but these guys have certainly given me the impression that they know what they're doing. They dropped that engine in about four hours and address not only the h/g issue but other things such as replacing gaskets and seals that are easily replaced with the engine out.

I asked Joe how many NorthStars he's done and he told me that mine was #55 since October.

On the lift next to mine was another '99 with 69,000 miles that they were just starting.

Cost is less than half than prices I've seen from other posters that went to Cadillac dealers.

I found out about Midwest from one of the major posters on this site.
I don't know if he'd want me to use his name so I won't.

They're definately worth checking out if you have the dredded H/G virus or just keep the number handy if you don' have it yet.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,936 Posts
I found out about Midwest from one of the major posters on this site.
I don't know if he'd want me to use his name so I won't.
Not a problem. Feel free. Glad you are happy with them. Hope you told Joe I sent you. Maybe he'll give me a discount should I ever need his services.

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommend that anyone with a Northstar that has or is experiencing overheating or in my case minor coolant loss with no external leaks that requires additional antifreeze to be added every week or so to check out the FAQ section from www.midwestcadillacrepair.com to determine if you have a blown head gasket.
My '99 started and ran smooth as silk so I wasn't even envisioning the problem to be the H/G.
I'm not too thrilled that my well maintained DeElegance with only 76,000 miles developed this problem but I'm glad that it was caught relatively early before the engine was ruined.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
the alignment dowels are out so i assume inserts have been installed in pics? piston tops sure look clean. i assume combustion chambers are cleaned as well?

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the inserts were not yet in when I took those pictures, in fact Joe had called the evening before and told me that the engine was out and the heads were off and if I wanted to stop by he'd show me where the gasket was leaking. Actually it was leaking into two cylinders but very small leaks. The car ran great, the oil was clean and a H/G issue was not even on my radar screen.
I changed the oil and filter every two thousand miles or sometimes less. That might account for the clean look on the engine.
I'm from the old school and habits are hard to break. I looked at frequent oil / filter changes that probably cost me no more than 15-18 dollars as cheap insurance to ward off big problems.
I consider this H/G issue a GM design flaw issue with no amount of preventive maintenence preventing it.

·
Registered
'99 DeVille D'Elegance
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ranger, when I first went in to talk with him early last week, he had a car there that he was in the process of doing and the inserts were already in.
I asked him about studs vs. inserts and he told me that the studs were about $400 more.
Or was it $200?.... whatever.... but when I asked him which was the better choice, he told me he'd go with the inserts so I'm assuming that he used the inserts on my car.

·
Registered
Many! I currently own & operate MIDWEST CADILLAC REPAIR
93 Posts
Ranger, when I first went in to talk with him early last week, he had a car there that he was in the process of doing and the inserts were already in.
I asked him about studs vs. inserts and he told me that the studs were about $400 more.
Or was it $200?.... whatever.... but when I asked him which was the better choice, he told me he'd go with the inserts so I'm assuming that he used the inserts on my car.
Yes the studs are around 200 more but we chose inserts considering the time frame we were working with and the fact that we had them on hand. Just clarifying this so we dont upset Jake . Soon I will have both on hand so theres no waiting for parts in the event someone wants studs. Anyway this was indeed # 55 and only a minor leak with no overheating and a super clean engine only starting to leak oil so the case half ,rear main, and oil pan were done as well.

·
Registered
Many! I currently own & operate MIDWEST CADILLAC REPAIR
93 Posts
the alignment dowels are out so i assume inserts have been installed in pics? piston tops sure look clean. i assume combustion chambers are cleaned as well?
Yes we did clean the pistons and com. chambers as well.Thes pics were right before tape up and drilling/ tapping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts