Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 Coupe Deville with 218k. When I get in the car and start it for the first time that day and drive it for a mile, everything is fine. After that I get a rich condition that is driving me wild.

I replaced the EGR and EGR solenoid about a year ago. I have replaced the plugs, wires and fuel filter also. It will throw a E45 code, and going through the charts in the service manual everything passes. I also replaced the TPS sensor about 2 months ago. I set the TPS sensor of the middle of the voltage range shown in the manual.

When the car is warmed up to operating temperature taking off from a start it will acclerate, but depending on the amount of throttle it will seem like it is comming on the cam and burts forward at about 1700-2000 rpm. I also noticed that when providing some acclerator in neutral at about 950 rpm there is a stumble and then if you give it more gas it will continue to build revs like it should.

The EGR solenoid appears to be still good. I can not pull a vacuum on the EGR valve though. I am thinking that the EGR may be faulty, but I would think that it would throw a code.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Oxygen sensor. I'm betting as soon as the car goes into closed loop it starts acting funny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveSmed said:
Oxygen sensor. I'm betting as soon as the car goes into closed loop it starts acting funny.
I forgot to mention that I replaced it not that long ago either. I did check it using the procedure in the book and it appears to be operating correctly.

Today that car was running pretty well. About the only problem that I had today was that when the accelerator is first applied from a start it hesitates, or stumbles.

The manual talks about the EGR valve being a Negative type. Based on what I have read, I should be able to pull a vacuum on it. I have not been able to get a vacuum on it, and really don't want to replace the EGR again if it is not truely bad.

Thanks
Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts