Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 - Performance
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 CTS. It recently developed a musty smell that comes out of the vents when the car is first started and the AC is on. It is getting stronger as time goes on. Has anyone else had this problem? I am taking it in for regular service at the dealer next week and would love to have a service bulletin number if available.

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
Well known issue. They can enable an after blower function that will dry out the HVAC system to help mitigate it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Please let us know what is the number of the TSB and more specifically what does it say to correct the problem.

·
Registered
04 CTS, 08 CTS, 12 CTS Prem, 14 CTS Prem, 16 ATS-V, 18 CTS-V
252 Posts
This memo came out this morning:
Date:5/18/2015Ref. number:Service / Service Operations / G_0000216765
Subject:Musty Odor from HVAC Vents on Startup
[HR][/HR]
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALESURGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY​
DATE
May 12, 2015
SUBJECT
Musty Odor from HVAC Vents on Startup
MODELS
2013 – 2015 Cadillac ATS and 2014 – 2015 Cadillac CTS Vin “A” Sedan
TO
All Cadillac Dealers
ATTN
Dealer, General Manager, Service Manager, Warranty Admin, Service Consultant, Service Technician

Owners of 2013 - 2015 Cadillac ATS and 2014 – 2015 Cadillac CTS VIN “A” Sedan may comment of a musty odor from the HVAC vents at startup. The odor is most noticeable in warmer temperatures and after the vehicle has been restarted after sitting in the sun for several hours. We understand that is a customer dis-satisfier.
A field service fix is in the process of being released. At this time we expect the field fix procedure and parts to be available the week of ~June 15. Until the field fix is available there is not a suggested repair that will provide a long term solution.
The field fix will include the following procedures:
  • Cleaning the evaporator core with an ATS / CTS unique tool
  • The addition of an Ionizer to the HVAC case
  • New HVAC module software for improved after blow function
  • Installation of a carbon cabin air filter
An additional Global Connect Message will be sent once the service procedure and service parts are available.
Thank you for your cooperation.

12,778 Posts
I have a 2014 CTS. It recently developed a musty smell that comes out of the vents when the car is first started and the AC is on. It is getting stronger as time goes on. Has anyone else had this problem? I am taking it in for regular service at the dealer next week and would love to have a service bulletin number if available.
Hi MScanlan,

I can understand how having a musty smell in your 2014 CTS would be frustrating. I'd be more than happy to help you with contacting your dealership if you would like. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and Cadillac dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Alison B.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

There is a TSB explaining how dealers should fix this. I have to take my car in as well.
Hi jghiller,

I would be happy to assist you with contacting your dealership as well if you would like. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and Cadillac dealership and someone will get back with you soon!

Alison B.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,782 Posts
Please let us know what is the number of the TSB and more specifically what does it say to correct the problem.
In addition to the recent update there was a TSB from last summer that addressed this issue. It was #99-01-39-004F Air Conditioner Odor. It spoke about Afterblow. You can reference that one too if needed. Dealer can review it if necessary.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 - Performance
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up report. I can at least confirm that my Cadillac service center received the above bulletin. I am now "on the list" to get this fixed whenever the parts come in so that is a step in the right direction.

Alison B. I tried to PM you but never heard back from you.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Is there any chance we can get the most recent service bulletin number or better yet a copy so that we can get it to our local service dept. It would really help me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-V
34 Posts
Mine was done about a week ago this is what they did . Deodorizer , Applied cooling coil coating and installed a Electronic Evaporator Dryer Kit. '' That's what the Invoice said '' So far it has help alot but we will see !

·
Registered
252 Posts
Did you read the bulletin i posted? A fix wont be available until around June 15th, you're wasting your time trying to get it fixed now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Theres not a bulletin yet, i work at a dealer, that was on messenger a few weeks ago letting us know that a fix and bulletin are on the way.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,782 Posts
Never heard from my dealer in SC but doesnt matter now that Im up north. Local dealer doing me this week. I will take memo with me to ensure they are performing described repair.

·
Registered
CTS 2.0, 2014
2 Posts
Does the odor have a vinegar"ish" smell on 1st start. I am now having this issue with my 2014 CTS.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts