Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,280 Posts
Late 60's frame-up resto Chevelle, Camaro, GTO. Dodge 440 6-pack. Olds 4-4-2 455 4-speed. 1957 Chevy with a 327 & 4-speed posi. Maybe --------------- a tricked-out mid 80s Mustang Fox-body 302.

Sure, it's easy to get a new "muscle car" (not a Hellcat) - they're a dime a dozen and you just walk in and write a check, or you spec one out, order it, then turn it over to Lingenfelter or Hennessey. The "older classics" are the ones with character, and just because some new pocket rocket might beat it in the 1/4 makes not ONE bit of difference. Anyone can buy a "fast car". Very few care for and drive the originals.

Spring has sprung ............. pack up the Cadillac, load up your ponytailed cup holder and head for some weekend grass lot classic car shows. Leave the checkbook at home.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
Buy one to enjoy and drive, but do not consider it an investment.
There are a very few lucky people who buy a car that skyrockets in value, but to buy a new car, store it and not enjoy it is a waste. Once you consider the yearly taxes, storage costs (even your own garage is space that could be useful for other things), and inflation, you won't make a dime.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,284 Posts
I agree. If you buy it, use it and enjoy it. Trying to guess which one will become worth a lot in 30 years (a looong time to wait) is like picking the right lottery number.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Yep it's a guessing game... Plus I wont be here in 30 probably so couldn't care less if worth a ton...
I had a 68 Firebird that was a complete POS and I bet today would fetch a couple grand. I also had a 1924 car that should have been worth a ton but never did appreciate.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 1969 El Camino SS396, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4,
88 Posts
In all the hot rods and muscle cars I have owned I have never thought of any of them as an investment. The tinkering, modifying, driving and just plain enjoying the car has always been first and foremost in my mind - I can't place a price on that.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
I am not an expert in Classics or muscle cars, but I can remember from watching car shows that restoring muscle cars "used" to be a good money maker, but all of sudden too many people started to restore muscle cars and supply exceeded the demand. As a result, these days you can buy a fully restored muscle car for less than the cost of restoring it yourself!

But again, if it this for hobby and personal enjoyment, it totally makes sense and I would say go for it, but I wouldn't consider it anything more than that!

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
I am with the gang on this one.
Don't be one of those guys who posts on Craigslist thay you have "$9,000 INVESTED" in the car they are selling for $4000.00. That is really not an investment then....

As to the options listed, I would look for a 6 cyl Firebird convertible, or the V-8 Gremlin. You will still have a ton of fun, and the car has much less collector value and therefore you can get a beautiful condition car on the cheap. But that is just me. I know a lot of guys out there still want "pin you in the seat" power. While I have enjoyed that in my past cars, some of my most longer for cars (now, years later) that I have sold, did not have it.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
^ If you're buying something older, buy the best one you can find, ie perfect paint and body work. That is the secret to not losing your shirt on an older car. Once you start stripping paint, you never know how much bondo you'll find or what other expensive and nasty surprises you'll run into.

Also be aware that if a car has a bad interior, it can be pretty easy or extremely difficult to restore. IE you can order every single last interior part out of a catalog for a 1968 Camaro, replacing the leather, wood, etc on something like a 1961 Fleetwood 75 can be a maddening and wallet busting experience, especially if its missing a bunch of parts that aren't reproduced.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Full size Ford Bronco.
This....or the 70s-90 k5 blazer..

BTW, if you want the power and head turning ability of a muscle car without the sticker shock, go for a mid-late 60s luxury coupe. It takes a long time to find a nice one near you, but they are fairly cheap as they aren't as desirable as camaro, mustang, etc. A friend of mine sold his near mint 66 toronado for 15k (flawless except for a split in the driver's seat and slightly faded carpet in a few spots).

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,254 Posts
Firebird 400. Loved it. Didn't turn or stop worth a crap, but floor it in a straight line and it would give you a case of yee-ha.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Firebird 400. Loved it. Didn't turn or stop worth a crap, but floor it in a straight line and it would give you a case of yee-ha.
I hear that my Firebird handled corners like a tank and braking was flaky at best, good thing it was light. More than a little fun for the first 100 ft..

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I hear that my Firebird handled corners like a tank and braking was flaky at best, good thing it was light. More than a little fun for the first 100 ft..
I had a '68 ragtop Firebird 400. It had drums all the way around. I almost rear-ended my own car as I came off of our flooded street to pull in behind my other car in the driveway.

I'd own another one if I could. Just need to update it with disks and suspension. Same goes for the '65 ragtop GTO I had.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,284 Posts
As far as investments go, I can tell you that the guy I bought my '69 Road Runner from did quite well. I can only hope for the same return. That said, I doubt I'll loose money and WILL have fun with it. What more can I ask for. :burn:

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
My 1992 Fleetwood hearse is not a classic car, and not a muscle car. But like a lot of other people, I wanted a car that was different, unique, and would stand out. As my daily driver, my car won't last forever. One day someone will hit the car, steal it, it'll perish in a flood, or it will eventually die from some other death. I bought it to drive, to tinker with, and have fun with. I think of it's value daily, but the value is simply what it is worth to me personally. At the end of the day, nothing else about the situation really matters. I'd say that if you really want to invest, buy gold! Or invest in one of the big auto parts stores - they seem to be steadily climbing in stock value. But investing in a car to keep for years and then hopefully get a return, when so many other things can happen to it (flood, tree fall, tornado, loss of consumer interest) just doesn't add up to me.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 1969 El Camino SS396, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4,
88 Posts
My 1992 Fleetwood hearse is not a classic car, and not a muscle car. But like a lot of other people, I wanted a car that was different, unique, and would stand out. As my daily driver, my car won't last forever. One day someone will hit the car, steal it, it'll perish in a flood, or it will eventually die from some other death. I bought it to drive, to tinker with, and have fun with. I think of it's value daily, but the value is simply what it is worth to me personally.
Well said and very much the same sediment for me as well.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
Agreed!

Buy what makes your heart sing, and no mount of money it costs will be a loss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love Cadillacs, and I have three of them. But my problem is that I love rare cars, and they are very expensive. I sold part of my house to buy a third car, and I need another one. I applied to the Bank for help, but I'm too old for a loan. My son gave me some money and I didn't know how to distribute it so that it would be enough for everything I wanted. Then I hired a financial adviser. He calculated my budget and made a plan for me to spend a certain amount of money every month and be able to buy a car!! I'm happy with. This was the best financial advice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts