Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
04 Cadillac SRX 4.6 Northstar AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow Cadillac owners,

After 2 years without a Cadillac we bought a SRX yesterday! I'm very happy to own a Cadillac again and was even more happy to drive it home yesterday.

Until we drove on the highway... When I hit the gas hard there was a hard clanking noise from underneath the car. At first I thought it would be the TC working, but after some threat reading out here I found out it could very good be a transfer case chain. After we drove it at normal speed en no problem. Until about an hour later when we got the message of TRANS HOT IDLE ENGIN. Went of the highway let it cool down and drove further. Had the same problem one more time before we got home with it.

It's a 2004 SRX Nortstar V8 AWD VIN# 1GYDE63A350102260 this is a European SRX but should be the same as a domestic SRX but then with a KM meter in it.

So here comes my questions, how can I solve the problems listed below:

- TRANS HOT (read about the bypass valve should be deleted with the 2005+ oil cooler line?)

- Hard noise when accelerating fast (transfer case chain?)

- Service airbag message

- Squeaking noise when driving slow and/or break at low speed (read some treads about it but did not find a solution)

- driver side mirror does not fold. Are there spare parts for the mirror or should is replace the whole unit?

As for my last wish, I would like to have a original GM 04 service manual for my car. Does anyone know where to get one (paper or digital). On Ebay there was only one available and costs $ 475!!!!!

Thanks in advance, hope to solve those nasty thing on this beautiful car so we can enjoy it for the next couple of years.

Ferdy

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,478 Posts
Welcome to CF !!! :highfive:

I'm not a SRX owner, so little information here. But, look at a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com. A multi-year is cheaper per annum, and the service is the GM service manuals plus a LOT more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks submariner. You helped me out in the past with my former 1993 sts North Star. Waiting for some SRX fans!

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
My first suggestion would be to buy a scanner so you can read the trouble codes (DTCs). Get one that will read all 4 code types, powertrain, ABS, body and communication. It should also then let you monitor most functions in real time.
Second, it seems you have a good handle on what possible problems and solutions are already existing.
As to the SIR warning there's probably a code or 2 waiting to be read that will steer you to a correction.
As to a service manual, I use the one available on the website "gpona", $15/yr.
Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok will try to get some codes tomorrow. I have a cheap scanner so hope to find anything. Will report back if I have the codes.

Where do I find the obd II connector?

Is it a official GM manual on gpona?

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
You did not state how many km are on the vehicle, but generally this message is unfortunately a bad sign. Typical symptoms are as follows:

1. initial TRANS HOT IDLE ENGINE is displayed after some highway driving, but then may not recur for some time
2. the vehicle shows no check engine light and no codes are registered
3. the message may reappear, but the transmission may continue to shift perfectly normally
4. the message becomes more frequent and certain gears (e.g. highest or reverse) cannot be used

If you are VERY lucky this could be a bad temp sensor or low transmission fluid - especially if you have difficulty getting into gear when the vehicle is cold. However, most times when this happens the transmission needs a major overhaul and or replacement. You may want to check and see if you can return the vehicle for refund.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Connector is below steering wheel slightly to the left. The SIR code will be an ABS code. SM is all GM through 2009, very useful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, pulled codes today but only got a engine code, something with a O2 sensor so nothing that has to do with any problem.
As for a refund that won't work, bought it really cheap with no warranty or whatsoever. Don't want to get rid of it I'd like to fix her and drive it.

So for the problems, not yet a real answer. For as far is I know the car is well maintained and looked after.

I will try to get a Tech tool 2 to read the codes. Also noticed that the 2 electric fans on the underside of the radiator where not working when we got the TRANS HOT massage.

How can I check my transfer and transmission fluid level? Only think I can find under the hood is the engine oil dipstick.

----------

Ok I see the tech 2 tools are out of my range to buy. Anyone got a good idea for what to use to read codes en try the modules?i would like to try if the fans are working.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
You don't need a Tech II, although it would be nice to have. There are many scan tools available that will do what you need. Actron is 1 brand name. If you google OBD II scan tools you should find many. You can get a suitable one for ~$200 US, just be sure to look for the right specifications and that it will work on post '05 cars.
To check the trans. fluid level the car has to be running and in Park. It is done through the fill port on the side of the trans., no dip stick.
To check fans, turn on AC, they should come on. The controller is engine temp dependent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have any experience with the tech 2 clone? I read some good things about them on a Saab and Pontiac forum.

I am not a China fan to buy such stuff but for only $500 it about a quarter of the really tech 2 price

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I'm not sure, but I get the impression you also need a subscription with GM to cover the latest updates etc. and even some of the basic module configurations.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glake, I read that a 3 day subscription to the tis2000 with gm would cost $50 and you can update as much as you want and can.

----------

Just orders the clone tech2. Will keep you all updated about it. Should arrive within 5 days.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD, 2008 STS V8 RWD
51 Posts
As far as transfer case fluid levels see my pics from the post about chain replacement. There are DRAIN and FILL plugs on it. The process sounds simple on paper - drain and refill - but in reality the plugs are hard to get to and for refiling you're gonna need one of those cheap hand pumps. No way you can get in there with a funnel with exhaust in place. I was refilling it with exhaust out and even than it wasn't a picnic.

·
Registered
SRX'05 4.6L
235 Posts
To read your codes you need any scanner that reads ABS and transmission codes, they say that in description. Very cheap ones only read engine codes.
I had the same problem with transmission and replacing bypass valve (thermometer) fixed the issue, part number is 24221232.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Hi Ferdy,

I used to have a 2005 SRX. But with other problems you describe. I did not have any noise driving it hard, but the cats played up.
Anyway, for a very good service on your Cadillac you should go to Van der Lans & Busscher in Den Haag. They are a funeral car service and have their own car service and parts supply. They are running Cadillac hearses and follow cars for decades and have a lot of experience with Northstar from the DeVilles they have. They also have one of only two XTS hearses in NL. They can also read the codes and order parts you need. Might be also good to join the Cadillac Club Nederland, even if you do not have a classic. Send my a PM for more info.

P.S. I am originally from Vlissingen ;)

P.S.II there are more differences between a US and EU Cadillac. The US version does not have the power folding mirrors and does not have the AUX/VIDEO IN plugs for the entertainment system. Also the taillights are clear in stead of red. And of course the DLR lights are disabled for EU.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,098 Posts
P.S.II there are more differences between a US and EU Cadillac. The US version does not have the power folding mirrors and does not have the AUX/VIDEO IN plugs for the entertainment system. Also the taillights are clear in stead of red. And of course the DLR lights are disabled for EU.
My 08 SRX with rear seat entertainment has composite video and stereo audio input jacks under the controls (US model). I thought that was the way they all were with RSE. Didn't know about the power folding mirrors (didn't know that was available in the EU models).

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Yes, all with RSE should have those inputs.
If you have Nav without RSE (not sure if that is possible in the SRX) then it may not have those inputs.

And yes export SRX, STS, (probably CTS and XLR as well) all were equipped with power folding exterior mirrors which is not available domestically.
One member did add them to his Canadian STS though using the export parts.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
My 08 SRX with rear seat entertainment has composite video and stereo audio input jacks under the controls (US model). I thought that was the way they all were with RSE. Didn't know about the power folding mirrors (didn't know that was available in the EU models).
The gen1 and 2 EU CTS and STS also have power folding mirrors. You are right about the RSE plugs. I forgot about that. The Gen1 CTS has AUX/VID IN in the armrest compartments which the US CTS doesn't have. It also has an analog TV module to compensate for XM radio which wasn't available for Europe.

Oh, the EU models also have tail fog lights and parking light; when you switch the turn signal to one side with the key out it will leave the tail light and parking light on on that side (to park on dark roads).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bought a Tech 2 clone last Sunday and got it yesterday. Works fine but could not find any codes except for a headlight level sensor code.

Also my third row seats won't come up after playing around with the Tech 2. Had it changed to US mode instead of Europe. So I do have DRL now!

Someone have experience with updating or changing major or minor things to its SRX with the Tech 2? I am wondering what we can do with the Tech 2 and our SRX

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Great news.that it works. Would you be kind enough to list what came with the tool and if you had to buy the subscription to get it to run. Did it include the PCMCIA card?
If one wasn't included, PM me your email and I'll send a PDF of the GM users manual. That might help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts