Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS Performance 52k
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 DTS has developed two leaks in the last month or so. Since it has been getting colder at night, car has begun leaking power steering fluid on the passenger side. Never leaks a drop when the car is warmed up but overnight it leaves a bunch of drops on the ground. I was told that the steering rack needs to be replaced. Since a rack costs over $600 for the part alone. I figured I would get some opinions on it. Not sure if a hose could be leaking down onto the rack making it look like the culprit. It is very hard to tell since there is a limited amount of space to look above the rack. But, the passenger side boot is definitely wet all around.

Second, the car's oil leak has become steadily worse over the past six months or so. It has been to two mechanics who both say there are no oil leaks that they can see. I had the valve cover gaskets replaced last year. If I clean the oil off the bottom of the engine and look at it after a few days of driving. the back of the oil pan is wet with oil. It is not coming from the drain plug however. Any ideas on what this could be? Maybe I need a mechanic who knows more about Northstars?

Not sure where to go from here. Hesitant to have the power steering fixed if it just continues to leak oil everywhere. I just need to get all the leaks stopped before winter hits. Parking in the street with plow trucks is not the best idea :)

Thanks for any tips any of you may have.

·
Registered
2011 dts premium
216 Posts
My 07 DTS has developed two leaks in the last month or so. Since it has been getting colder at night, car has begun leaking power steering fluid on the passenger side. Never leaks a drop when the car is warmed up but overnight it leaves a bunch of drops on the ground. I was told that the steering rack needs to be replaced. Since a rack costs over $600 for the part alone. I figured I would get some opinions on it. Not sure if a hose could be leaking down onto the rack making it look like the culprit. It is very hard to tell since there is a limited amount of space to look above the rack. But, the passenger side boot is definitely wet all around.

Second, the car's oil leak has become steadily worse over the past six months or so. It has been to two mechanics who both say there are no oil leaks that they can see. I had the valve cover gaskets replaced last year. If I clean the oil off the bottom of the engine and look at it after a few days of driving. the back of the oil pan is wet with oil. It is not coming from the drain plug however. Any ideas on what this could be? Maybe I need a mechanic who knows more about Northstars?

Not sure where to go from here. Hesitant to have the power steering fixed if it just continues to leak oil everywhere. I just need to get all the leaks stopped before winter hits. Parking in the street with plow trucks is not the best idea :)

Thanks for any tips any of you may have.
I am sure that if you researched this forum for oil and power steering fluid leaks, you will receive a a mountain of info pertaining to your issues. Hit search at top of page, type in oil leak and viola', plenty of first hand knowledge from people who has experience with them.
Oil leak, well if not oil pan than maybe oil filter gasket or half case just above oil pan? Power steering fluid leak, rack and pinion sounds like a good culprit considering your year.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 DTS Performance 52k
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I did do some research on the northstar engine leaks. After bringing the car to the mechanic and having a second opinion the steering rack is definitely leaking and needs to be replaced.

My problem now is I have had three shops look at the engine leak and none of them can figure out where it is leaking from. One told me it is not leaking, another told me they do not know without pulling the engine, and a third told me it would be very expensive and to just live with it.

I have had the underneath of it cleaned and it is leaking from directly above the oil pan ( drips off the back of the oil pan), and there is another leak that drips down onto the passenger side lower control arm.

I am guessing the engine needs a reseal at this point but I am really not sure. Does anyone have first hand knowledge / cost of doing this? I have not seen any post talk about it recently.

I know the car needs the steering rack and rear shocks and I am honestly procrastinating on these two repairs because of the unknowns with the engine. With 80k miles now. I am not sure where to go from here. I would hate to trade the car in without knowing the true origin of the engine oil leak.

If anyone has any tips / links / advice / shop recommendations in new England. I would greatly appreciate it.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
956 Posts
Thanks for the info! I did do some research on the northstar engine leaks. After bringing the car to the mechanic and having a second opinion the steering rack is definitely leaking and needs to be replaced.

My problem now is I have had three shops look at the engine leak and none of them can figure out where it is leaking from. One told me it is not leaking, another told me they do not know without pulling the engine, and a third told me it would be very expensive and to just live with it.

I have had the underneath of it cleaned and it is leaking from directly above the oil pan ( drips off the back of the oil pan), and there is another leak that drips down onto the passenger side lower control arm.

I am guessing the engine needs a reseal at this point but I am really not sure. Does anyone have first hand knowledge / cost of doing this? I have not seen any post talk about it recently.

I know the car needs the steering rack and rear shocks and I am honestly procrastinating on these two repairs because of the unknowns with the engine. With 80k miles now. I am not sure where to go from here. I would hate to trade the car in without knowing the true origin of the engine oil leak.

If anyone has any tips / links / advice / shop recommendations in new England. I would greatly appreciate it.
Yes I had those same leaks on my 06. In 2017 when the leaks got too much to live with I had to have the engine dropped and the engine resealed. The cost was just over $4000 but I replaced everything that was going to wearout soon while the engine was out. The water pump, the spark plugs, A leaking power steering hose, and couple sensors.

·
Registered
2007 DTS Performance 52k
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you had any leaks since having the engine resealed? I have experienced the same thing. A couple years ago it was one drip once in a while. Now it is a couple spots a half dollar big, every night. My biggest fear is having it fixed for $4000 and then have it start leaking again shortly after.

·
2006 DTS perf
956 Posts
Have you had any leaks since having the engine resealed? I have experienced the same thing. A couple years ago it was one drip once in a while. Now it is a couple spots a half dollar big, every night. My biggest fear is having it fixed for $4000 and then have it start leaking again shortly after.
Not a drop. If you do the work get a good mechanic. If re sealed properly it should last another 11 years.

·
Registered
2007 DTS Performance 52k
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have the headgaskets changed at the same time? It does seem like some mechanics avoid the Northstar. Almost like they are afraid of working on them :/
Going to have to do some searching for a mechanic who has worked on these engines a decent amount.

·
Registered
2006 XLR-V, 2011 DTS
4 Posts
Most dealers have a UV dye they put in the engine oil, then after running with it for a day or two, they will check the engine with a UV light and see exactly where the leaks are originating from.

·
2006 DTS perf
956 Posts
Did you have the headgaskets changed at the same time? It does seem like some mechanics avoid the Northstar. Almost like they are afraid of working on them :/
Going to have to do some searching for a mechanic who has worked on these engines a decent amount.
No the head gaskets are fine. Competent mechanics should have no problem working on the Northstar If your mechanic doesn't find a better mechanic.

·
2008 DTS
94 Posts
Have you checked the rear valve cover gasket? Just changed mine and the leak down the oil pan was similar to what you described up there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts