Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Seville STS (gone); 2001 STS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 STS is misbehaving.

This was my daily driver. I had 100% of all the bugs out (mechanical, electrical) - then I moved to another province. What with storage, and moving, and more storage, it has been undriven (but started and moved frequently) for near 4 years.

I'm trying to figure out the commonality point for why I'm now getting a brake/ABS controller, suspension, and steering error coming up all at the same time. I can Tech2 clear all the deep codes, and they come straight back. So it's not something that showed up during a low battery moment.

I know there's a notorious ground point under the air box where a lot of things come together, so I took that apart and cleaned it all up (on my '98 that one thing fixed about 10 problems at the same time!).

Any other common points to check before I start tracing out each and every wire?!

(unrelated 'victory' note - I've never had idle control on this since I bought it due to a bad IAC driver transistor, so I manually stepped it to 700rpm disconnected the IAC and left it. Grabbed a spare ECM the other day, flashed the VIN and software to it, and... it works finally! Yay!)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,194 Posts
I can Tech2 clear all the deep codes, and they come straight back.
That's because you didn't fix the problem. Post the codes AND their definitions. You're most likely looking for a C (Chassis) code.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - realize I hadn't actually fixed the problem. I was just saying that it's not a left over phantom code or something.

Pulled the following list:
C1225 - LF Excessive wheel speed variation
C1228 - RR "" ""
C1248 - EBCM turned indicator on
C1255 EBCM internal malfunction
C1282 Yaw rate sensor bias circuit

I did a snapshot while doing about 10kmh down the road. ALL the wheel speeds were at 255 kmh!
Voltage was good (14.8).
LF & RF rotors were at 318 & 256C (Pretty toasty for just having been in a cold garage).

I'm going to dig out the manuals and see where the common connection amongst all these is.
To go from 100% good for a year - park it - and all these come up?? Has to have something in common.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ye 'ole 3 volume set came out. Ok, so every one of these links back to the EBCM.

I know I said I fixed up the ground, but... I think the one I did isn't the one I thought it was! I thought that was G101, but now I'm thinking that G101 is further back closer to the coolant tank. After dinner - more is coming apart.

edit: Skip that. Mis-read, it's G110 that the EBCM grounds through!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to follow up on this.

So it turns out that the EBCM was actually toast. I pulled it out, stripped it down, reflowed the PCB - same faults.
Grabbed another from the wreckers for $40 (Cdn funds, that's like $1.49 US right?), tossed it in and everything is fine now.

One minor note - it was a part number 12218160 that was in it, and the one from the wreckers was a 12218170. Maybe because it was a Deville? Couple years newer? No clue. It works. All that matters.

·
Registered
03 SLS
14 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, hate when old problems don't get updated with the solution for future reference when mine goes bad down the road! Glad it got sorted out and your back on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts