Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my driver side muffler is hanging down a couple inches because both rubber supports (oval shaped) craked in the middle. Is there and easy replacement? Something I can buy at a hardware store to rig it up? Where can I find the genuine replacement part?

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
I'm sure you could get them from the dealership or you could go to the local junkyard to find them. I'm sure GM didn't design one strictly just for your car. Look under a Cavalier and it might be the same damn thing. Of course I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hey Jay, how bout I take some off your car wise guy!! ;) seriously, you aren't far off, I proped the muffler up with some blocks while I used a few pieces of thin metal wire to bring the muffler as close to normal as possible.

While I was down there, I cleaned my exhaust tips with windex, 409, WD40 and I even busted out the GUNK Engine Bright. 25 minutes later, exhaust tips look 75% like new and my hands still smell like petroleum!

·
Registered
586 Posts
i was only kidding... haha... thats how i hung the muffler on my tbird.

but thats how you clean the tips? i tried steel wook, but it didnt really help... maybe ill try that with the steel wool

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya most def, but here's the other thing....my mufflers are only 2 winters old and already they have rust spots, grime and other contaminants. I'd hate to see what exhaust tips over 8 years old look like!! Huge rusted out holes plagued my original mufflers. I'm sorta glad I got rear ended on the hiway (new exhaust system for free!!)

The Caddy mufflers are the worst in terms of longevity. I'm not gonna let them turn to shit this time. I plan to steel wool them, sand them, clean them, and then paint them with rustlomeum hi-temperature bbq black paint or something similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts