Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SG
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 STS V8 with the F55 suspension, and it appears the front driver's side strut has failed. It is leaking fluid and clunks over rough surfaces.

Do these need to be replaced in pairs, or will singly do? Does the computer need to be recalibrated for the new shock?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Pairs only. At 9 years old, the rest of your dampers are most likely quite worn.

Plug and play, no TECH II required.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SG
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

It's only got 60k miles on it. It hasn't been used very much. Or very hard.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
If you find one from an auto-recycler, it might be a close match. I've got about 107k on mine and they're OK; no excessive leaks.

Use a reputable auto parts recycler and they should have a short-term guarantee and belong to a parts network.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS
35 Posts
I have a set of MRC front struts in classified section if interested. They are brand new in the box, I bought to put on my car then ended up totaling car a couple days after they came in. $500 for the pair

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SG
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a set of MRC front struts in classified section if interested. They are brand new in the box, I bought to put on my car then ended up totaling car a couple days after they came in. $500 for the pair
Thanks for the offer. :)

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
jperry said:
Rwd or awd?

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
I would not go used on suspension or brakes, you run the risk of having to pay double if in fact the used parts fail. Chances are that if you replace with new ( not from the dealer) they will most likely will out last the vehicle. $500 is an extremely good offer for MRC struts. Don't forget to check out the mounts for wear much easier to do while its apart labor wise.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
BlueAngel#07 said:
I would not go used on suspension or brakes, you run the risk of having to pay double if in fact the used parts fail. Chances are that if you replace with new ( not from the dealer) they will most likely will out last the vehicle. $500 is an extremely good offer for MRC struts. Don't forget to check out the mounts for wear much easier to do while its apart labor wise.
If you buy and let the dealer install any shock THE PART is covered by GM good wrench lifetime warranty. You will be responsible for r&r of the part though.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SG
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just a little concerned that it failed before 60k miles. Seems like MRC is hit or miss on longevity.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SF white
24 Posts
My fronts failed last year at 120K, I think the backs are due as well. It may be age rather than miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts