Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past few weeks my gas mileage has decreased considerably.
The car seems to be running well.

But the outside temps have also decreased.
Would cold weather cause the mpg to go down on long trips?

I take the same trip every week.
112 miles each way.
Same route.
Same mph (72) with cruise on.

It has gone down from 26-27 mpg to 21-22 mpg.

Thanks.
Pat

Attachments

• 144.1 KB Views: 13

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Pat,

You might want to check/change your fuel filter for starters. Maybe some others will chime in with some better advice.

Don

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
how have winds been around you that will seriously effect your MPG. Fuel filter can also cause restriction as can the air filter. But i wouldnt worry too much unless it continues for a while

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Good point you made MYCADDY. Maybe you(Pat) should reset your computer each way on each trip to get an more accurate MPG result. Couldn't hurt to check the air/fuel filters as well. You may be killing your MPG by letting the car warm up in those below zero temps you have had lately.

Don

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
i'm with dead sled on the wind issue. it's been blowing really hard for last few days and my mpg is lot lower than before.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Pat,
That's a substantial change in MPG. A clogged air filter COULD account for this. Unfortunately, so could a number of other items.
If the MPG doesn't rebound, I'd take a look at tune-up parts such as plugs, wires, or possibly even an O2 sensor failure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
could it be that the gas stations in your area use winter fuel formulas? I've noticed here in Pennsylvania when the winter formulation gas comes around my mileage drops a bit - just something to consider if you live in an area where that comes into play.
Also - with the recent fuel shortages it could be that the fuel in your area is coming from another part of the country where the formulation is different - which could impact your mileage.

Steve

·
Registered
161 Posts
Colder temps = lower tire pressures = lower mpg. Check pressure.

Colder climates = winter fuel mixtures = lower mpg. Not much you can do about this except move someplace warmer.

The colder it gets, the less complete the atomization of fuel in the combustion chamber. This is why the colder climates get the winter mix fuel - to help the atomization. If you live in the midwest like me, it can be 65 F one day and 25 F the following night. Keep an eye on tire pressure as a result.

All said, I'd expect about a 10% decrease in fuel economy during peak winter months versus peak summer months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts