Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend the wife and I drove to Las Vegas from Los Angeles to visit family. I wanted to get a good idea of what kind of highway mileage I'm getting so I didn't reset the "average MPG" reading until we got on the freeway. I ended the measurement when reaching the offramp. So, basically all highway mileage.

27.4 mpg

I never drove over 80mph while mostly sitting around 75mph. I also used cruise control for most of the trip. I didn't want to mix the around town driving with the highway mileage since that is what seems to really drink the gas. Not a hiccup the whole way, not a drop of anything under the car at the end of both runs. It was also nice buying gas for about $1 a gallon less in Las Vegas than here in So Cal.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,043 Posts
That's a good highway mpg average for the VIN Y economy powertrain. Back in the early 2000s there were a few reports of about 29 mpg highway with a VIN Y Seville and Devilles. My VIN 9 STS never gets over 24.9 on MD - FL round trips, but that figure includes off ramps, Burger Doodles, and motel layovers. 87 octane, as recommended (no, running 89 or 93 makes absolutely no difference in mileage or ignition timing observed.)

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium
74 Posts
As with any car, the computer's estimate is usually a little ambitious, but I've found it to be closer to reality on the DTS than on others.

Folks say that the DTS gets terrible gas mileage, and while it isn't awesome, it is acceptable. I wouldn't call it a dealbreaker unless you're putting down a lot of miles per year and over the course of ownership.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,045 Posts
27 mpg is excellent . I average 15 mpg mostly city driving from my Performance. I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
80 Posts
Last Mothers day I ran my 07 from Minneapolis to Sun Prairie, WI - 290 miles 4 hrs. Ran about 75 to 79 MPH with cruise on straight through no stops. I got 26.1 MPG - recorded highway mileage only. I was actually pretty happy with that. :)

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
401 Posts
I think I was able to get 30-31 MPG on a long trip when my DTS had Michelin Premier A/S tires on it. However these tires were very worn after 40K Miles. I replaced them with BfGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport tires.

Now at most i'm able to get 26-27 MPG on a long highway trip. On regular highway trips I get ~23 MPG

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
194 Posts
As with any car, the computer's estimate is usually a little ambitious, but I've found it to be closer to reality on the DTS than on others.

Folks say that the DTS gets terrible gas mileage, and while it isn't awesome, it is acceptable. I wouldn't call it a dealbreaker unless you're putting down a lot of miles per year and over the course of ownership.
I wouldn't complain we had 03 dhs my wife drove to work, it's average was 23mpg. Now she drives 09 cts4 its average mpg is 19.1 my 09 yukon mpg 16.1

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really happy with the mpg I got. It has really changed my mind about taking this on some longer trips. Especially with lower gas prices once I get out of California. And, as I mentioned, the thing ran like a champ.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
140 Posts
my current average is 11.7 but work is like 4 minutes from home, it sees more remote start than actual driving usually.... i can get around ~27 highway if i try though

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,043 Posts
Most Northstar powertrains, whether VIN 9 or VIN Y, will get 11 to 16 mpg around town/near suburban; 16 to 20 suburban/near rural, 24 - 30 long term open road cruise. In really lousy traffic maybe <10 mpg. Remember - idling in a traffic jam your gas mileage is 0.

...........based on watching these Northstar FWD gas mileage threads for 15 years and assuming the powertrain and tires/hubs are in excellent condition and tune.

My STS (VIN 9, 300 hp, 3.71 final drive) gets 12 - 13 inner city, 16 - 19 suburban/near rural, 24.8 long term Interstate (includes gas stops, meals, motel side trips).

There was a ? 2001 ? ESC that got just over 31 during long trips in the Midwest. Years ago, Seville/Eldorado forum.

Look at it this way - You fill up, reset the fuel used and miles, then immediately get on the Interstate and drive for a half hour at 70 - the fuel mpg ratchets up to 25 mpg for the half hour. You get off the highway and are immediately stuck in heavy traffic for a half hour - fuel mileage is then essentially 0. So, for that driving hour your average fuel mileage is 12.5 mpg.

Every time you touch that gas pedal, fuel mileage changes. Long-term, all-conditions average is the true picture.

·
Registered
1968 Deville convertible
114 Posts
Most Northstar powertrains, whether VIN 9 or VIN Y, will get 11 to 16 mpg around town/near suburban; 16 to 20 suburban/near rural, 24 - 30 long term open road cruise. In really lousy traffic maybe <10 mpg. Remember - idling in a traffic jam your gas mileage is 0.

...........based on watching these Northstar FWD gas mileage threads for 15 years and assuming the powertrain and tires/hubs are in excellent condition and tune.

My STS (VIN 9, 300 hp, 3.71 final drive) gets 12 - 13 inner city, 16 - 19 suburban/near rural, 24.8 long term Interstate (includes gas stops, meals, motel side trips).

There was a ? 2001 ? ESC that got just over 31 during long trips in the Midwest. Years ago, Seville/Eldorado forum.

Look at it this way - You fill up, reset the fuel used and miles, then immediately get on the Interstate and drive for a half hour at 70 - the fuel mpg ratchets up to 25 mpg for the half hour. You get off the highway and are immediately stuck in heavy traffic for a half hour - fuel mileage is then essentially 0. So, for that driving hour your average fuel mileage is 12.5 mpg.

Every time you touch that gas pedal, fuel mileage changes. Long-term, all-conditions average is the true picture.

Wow good to know maybe I shouldn't think about it anymore. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
............based on watching these Northstar FWD gas mileage threads for 15 years and assuming the powertrain and tires/hubs are in excellent condition and tune.

My Bridgestone Turanza Serenty Plus tires are about 1 1/2 year old with less than 5k on them. Before leaving I set all tire pressure to 31 PSI. I checked the cold pressure and adjusted it over 2 days before the trip. The alignment is spot on. 98% of the highway mileage was measured while using cruise control. I just want to repeat, the 27.4 mpg was open road mileage only. Once I get off the freeway the mileage drops just like everyone else's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts