Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99' STS.
I would like to figure out a way to attach an mp3 player to the stereo. I have the FM transmitter thingy, but the quality isn't what I'd like.
My car doesn't have the CD changer, but there appears the be the connector for one under the storage "buckets" in the counsole. Does anyone know if that cannector can be modified to be some sort of hard wire attachment for an mp3 player?

Sorry to bring up this dead horse:duck:, but, just to be sure, the Z-rated STSs go 0-60 just the same as the others? They just have a 20 mph higher top speed?

·
Registered
1994 sts
809 Posts
IDK if this is helpful, but if you have a tape deck, i just use a tape with the aux end like headphones (available at walmart) and it works great!

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm, havent tried that one yet. That might be better than trying to get good quality sound from the radio.
Thanks;)

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
:yeah:

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
IMO you should get this specific adapter:

Amazon.com: Coby CA-747 Dual Position CD/MD/MP3 Cassette Adapter: Electronics

I ordered it from Wally "site-to-store". Read the reviews from the Amazon site as a user has posted instructions on how to remove one of the little gears inside the tape to disable the auto-rewind feature.

You'll likely note that when you insert the tape adapter the radio will quickly eject it (head does not detect any magnetic tape). Remedy (from member JimD):

Ignition ON.

Radio OFF.

Press and hold the SOURCE button for two seconds. The tape symbol on the display will flash three times, indicating the feature is active.

Insert the adapter.

Also, in the audio forum I posted some tips on maximizing mp3 quality through the Bose system: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/165335-improve-mp3-sound-factory-bose-system.html

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
That's what I use, except I paid considerably more for it. :mad: Works great.

·
Registered
03 Seville
4 Posts
I just installed the Harmon Kardon Drive and Play for my Ipod and was hating the FM transmission deal. I ended up adding an isimple IS77 unit from Best buy for around $90. You have to convert from the GM antenna size to normal into the unit and then back from normal to GM for the radio so there is some extra cost there.

The unit itself comes with an ipod cable, set of RCA's, and a mini connection that can be mounted in the glove box. It uses only one and you have an on and off switch to mount. When the unit is on it disconnects the antenna to eliminate interference and sends the mp3 players sound through the radios antenna connection on one of two possible channel choices.

Night and day difference in sound quality and I was able to tap into the lighter outlet for the power and ground connection making the wiring pretty easy.

·
Registered
1989 Seville
19 Posts
I agree with troys the kardon does work great, another alternative is a wired fm transmitter. that is what i have in my car and it sounds great. you plug it between the antenna and the radio (you will need the adaptor as GM has a different size antenna than most other cars) and mount the switch, plug in your mp3 player, tune into the radio frequency the wired transmiter transmits on and you will hear your mp3 player. It will sound alot better than the wireless transmitter i'm sure you were using before. Also I used to have the tape adaptor thing and it sounds great but i hated the look of the wire coming from the radio to the player, so this will solve that problem. But if you are not picky about the looks and just need to get the sound from your mp3 player to the speakers the tape adaptor works great too.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
I just installed the Harmon Kardon Drive and Play for my Ipod and was hating the FM transmission deal. I ended up adding an isimple IS77 unit from Best buy for around $90. You have to convert from the GM antenna size to normal into the unit and then back from normal to GM for the radio so there is some extra cost there.

The unit itself comes with an ipod cable, set of RCA's, and a mini connection that can be mounted in the glove box. It uses only one and you have an on and off switch to mount. When the unit is on it disconnects the antenna to eliminate interference and sends the mp3 players sound through the radios antenna connection on one of two possible channel choices.

Night and day difference in sound quality and I was able to tap into the lighter outlet for the power and ground connection making the wiring pretty easy.
That is exactly what I did on my Chrysler. I picked up the FM Modulator on ebay 5 years ago for about $35. It comes with RCA's only, though. It works great.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
I have solution for hard wired AUX input on every single '96 and up HU (BOSE or Base). See my threads for details:
1. BOSE require an external box:
this one witch attaches on a extension harness that plugs into the car harness at one end and HU on the other end and from the box you get an harness for AUX input (3.5'' jack)
2. Base required opening the HU and hacking into the audio processor
Here is the result. On base I can also hack the display processor to show the AUX is in, I can do-it also on BOSE (same idea) but is loooooooot more work.

By the way my original Base HU with AUX input is for sale, I don't need-it since now I got BOSE (I can not say it enough).

·
Registered
Cadillac
90 Posts
they make aftermarket plug ins that replace the plug that is supposed to go to the factory cd changer to a box that has an ipod cable and/or AUX in port. If you use these you can actually control the next track function of the ipod with your steering wheel controls and HU. just do a google search, they are easy to find and several companies make them.

·
Registered
2018 Camaro 2SS/NPP/F55/AQJ, Sold: 2015 Camaro, 2006 STS (EXP) 1997 Seville STS (EXP)
447 Posts
Congratulations... maybe you should fabricate some of these "N*Caddy AUX input box" and sell 'em as plug-n-play. I'm sure lots of members would be interested. I would've been a customer instead of doing it myself (which worked, but would've liked something cleaner and plug-n-play).
...as "mtflight" said in your other thread...:D

:worship:

...I would buy one 100%...:D

(...for mp3 I have to use a fm-transmitter-thing too....and that's very.....hmm...how should I say...."suboptimal"...) ;) :D

·
Registered
Cadillac
90 Posts
there are some out now that still retain the cd changer functionality. But I do get the concern about the $100+ thing. that's why ebay is great

1 - 15 of 15 Posts