Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Do it yourself and get help from friends/coworkers or just pay a pro?

• DIY

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Hire Movers

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on moving......

I have a move coming up in about a month and am goint to be hiring movers to take care of it.
The price difference between having it done vs having friends and coworkers help is about $700. (and lot of sweat and favors owed......to me it doesn't make sense imposing on friends and coworkers like that....not to mentioned I want my stuff insured and professionally handled)

I have noticed that people at the office go and help each other move, which is nice and I have done my share pitching in loading trucks etc.

But I think its kinda inconsiderate and unfair to ask coworkers/friends to help with something like this.
Moving is a serious pain in the butt, and people can get injured (not to mentioned your stuff can get damaged).

How do you feel about this?

PS I think its different if you're a student and you dont have much money and you have very little stuff......but I'm talking about young adults with decent pay (and in some cases they're getting moving expenses paid by the company....kinda like double dipping)

Its an ethics/cultural question I suppose.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to ask your friends or co-workers to help you out. Offer to buy them dinner for their generosity. My dad just moved his business and he was going to hire pros but decided not to and saved a bunch of money. The friends and co-workers might actually take care of your stuff better because they know what is really important to you when the professinal movers won't.

·
Registered
93 Allante, 06 CTS
723 Posts
I have moved locally here in Florida a few times and I only had to pay $75/hr per person, 2 hour minimum for movers. I packed everything myself and only used them as labor and transport but loading, transport and unloading only took 3 hours with 2 people, well worth the $450.

Friends don't ask friends to help them move ;-)

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
If you do hire a 'pro', check their credentials and background thoroughly. Get references if you can. I've heard lots of horror stories from people who use an inexpensive mover only to find that they tack on lots of hidden charges and then hold your stuff hostage until you pay. Saw a spot on the news about it, too. I know a guy that waited almost a year to get his stuff back, mostly because the case was tied up in court. They're counting on you a) wanting your stuff and b) not having the time or money to take them to court.

Jim

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah....I'm with you on that "friends don't ask friends to spend their weekends hauling heavy boxes in exchange for pizza" ;-)

I also have heard the horror stories and am therefore using a reputable (hence not cheap) moving company with references.
Luckily/unluckily, I was told that mvoing companies in california are the most regulated in the country. So they have to give you a 'not to exceed' cap on the price by law. (I'm sure there are proabably ways they can find to get more from me though).

So therefore its supposed to be the safest and most expensive state for moves.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Hahaha...havntcha seen the seigfeld episode? Asking another guy to help you move is like asking a woman to marry you! Nah, it'd make for a great weekend. If its an in-town move, do it at night with lots of coffee. Once its all at the new house, crack open the beer and whiskey, fire up the 2:00 a.m. bbq, and celebrate! Moving can be fun if you don't look at it as work...pain in the ass if you do, but I've always had a good time doing it, and I've moved a LOT for being a young guy...hell, buy me a Southwest ticket and I'll come help ya move! ... Ah, you're in La Jolla...I just flew a buddy of mine back down there cause he came up here to get out of town for a bit...Given more notice, I could gather a few people and roadrip to help ya!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These small movers have the strangest names..."2 guys and a truck" "starving students" "hungry artists".......but its always 2 mexican gusy that show up anyway. They may as well be honest and call it "2 mexican duded and someones truck"

BTW at 75$/hour per person and 2 hour minimum, its almost the same price as having it done by Allied/United/Mayflower/Bekins for me....or does the 75$ include the truck gas etc?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spyder said:
hell, buy me a Southwest ticket and I'll come help ya move! ... Ah, you're in La Jolla...I just flew a buddy of mine back down there cause he came up here to get out of town for a bit...Given more notice, I could gather a few people and roadrip to help ya!
d'oh!
Nice of you to say that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Huh...just realized I commented, but didn't vote...DIY if its in town or a short distance, buy the service if its more than an hour or so drive each way between homes...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My move is 110 miles, about 2 hours.
Altough I have friends/coworkers here to help with the loading,
there's only one dude on the other end who may be able to help.....

·
Registered
03 Escalade, 06 SRX
6,888 Posts
FSU_Noles said:
I have moved locally here in Florida a few times and I only had to pay $75/hr per person, 2 hour minimum for movers. I packed everything myself and only used them as labor and transport but loading, transport and unloading only took 3 hours with 2 people, well worth the $450.

Friends don't ask friends to help them move ;-)
I did the same type of thing. I packed all my own stuff and moved all the boxes myself. I only had the movers move the furniture. It was cheap and it took all the hard labor out of it. If you did it like that you could aske your coworkers to help out with some box moving and explain the rest. Follow it with the offer of going out to eat after your treat. I din't vote because I actually think a little of both is the right choice.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
urbanski said:
no way
some things are just NOT worth the hassle
pay somebody...even if it's not a biggie like Mayflower (especially for a 2 hour move). Check the BBB, ask friends for references, see what their insurance policy is....i'd give the "starving students" a chance :)
I met the starving students and the two guys and truck.
Both were two mexican dudes who didn;t really speak english.....I guess the starving students are corporate and now pimp day laborers

·
Registered
93 Allante, 06 CTS
723 Posts
powerglide said:
These small movers have the strangest names..."2 guys and a truck" "starving students" "hungry artists".......but its always 2 mexican gusy that show up anyway. They may as well be honest and call it "2 mexican duded and someones truck"
:rofl:

powerglide said:
BTW at 75$/hour per person and 2 hour minimum, its almost the same price as having it done by Allied/United/Mayflower/Bekins for me....or does the 75$ include the truck gas etc?
pretty sure it included the truck/gas/etc... of course I bought them the obligatory pizza - after they were done of course and off my "clock".

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Ive moved my grandmother 8 times , me and my parents moved 6 times , my other granprents twice , we did all those overselves with a racecar trailer ....then i perosonally moved several freinds .....

I had my place in alaska professionally moved down here....and i loved every second of it .....

Ive done WAY to much DIY moving , and ill NEVER do it again , its stressful enough for people like me to move , the professionals get rid of a good portion of it ......

I absolutely HATE moving , id really like to move maybe 2 more times in my lifetime , one to a apartment , then onto my own house where i can live the rest of my life ....

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
i move on 8-4-8-4... month cycles. i still live alone so i move myeslf, I don't own any valuable furniture yet. if i owned a TV or something that cost over $1,000 i'd have pros do it. if they break it, they replace it.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I have moved 20 times in my life and I have done it as many ways as there are to be done. I have moved myself, moved with movers, moved with friends and even moved with enemies.
I have to say paying professional movers is by far the best way, but here are some observations I have made over the years.

Professional movers CAN do a much better job packing than friends, that is if you plan to have your friends actually pack stuff. The last movers we had did a superb job of packing, although you wouldn't believe the mountain of boxes and paper that it left behind.

If it's a pretty small move, I'd pack the things myself and maybe have 1 or 2 friends help me load up the truck/trailer on one end and make sure to OVERcompensate them, feed them and give them cash. I'd rather not be able to blame my friends for breaking my stuff.

As for asking friends to help, it depends largely on the type of friends you have. I would go help almost anyone I know pack and move if it were a short distance. My move before last we relied on a team of helpers that we fed and paid, but sadly it took almost twice as long as we had intended it to. I couldn't express to them how much I appreciated their help. Some of them couldn't even stay as long as it took, and techncially my Wife and I had to continue on the next day by ourselves!

I can't imagine having done our last move alone, we moved 2,800 miles with almost 20,000 pounds worth of stuff PLUS two vehicles that we had to pay to transport. We flew with one way tickets since my Mother in Law lives with us and my son was 2 years old at the time. No way I was going to drive nearly 3,000 miles with them in the car!
The total cost was almost $25,000 but thank God my wife's company paid for most of it.
The movers were so nice and they packed everything and unpacked a great deal but when it got to a certain point we told them it was enough and we did the rest. I still have about 20 boxes in the garage and 10 more in the basement that still need unpacked and it's been a year and a half.

Anyway, what it boils down to is
1. How much money have you got
2. How much junk have you got
3. How far is the move
4. What kind of friends you have
5. How much time you have

There are lots of variations but you never want to ask someone help you move if they don't want to. They'll hold it against you for years. I know some folks I would never ask to help me move and some friends would be there in a heartbeat.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
A 24 foot truck from Penske is $89.00 per day plus mileage if it's not a one way move.

The Mexican guys at Home Depot will load and unload it for around $8-$10 per hour each.

Pack it all up yourself and supervise the loading and unloading it real good.

That last advice is for which ever way you choose to move. "2 Guys and a Truck" still drop stuff, as will your friends or Juan and Miguel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts