Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Mounting AIR Pump

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  LV_Cady 
#1 ·
Replaced the fuel pump and while putting everything back together I'm wondering how anything ever worked. I'm sitting here with one long bolt (according to parts and illustrations, the 130mm bolt) that threads into the ac compressor adjusting bracket, two cylindrical spacers and missing the other bolt (M10x1.5x120mm -- which i've ordered). There is also another small bolt that slips into the bottom of the bracket into a nut on the other side (M8x1.25).

What i'm having trouble comprehending is that the ac compressor looks like it has 2 spaces for bolts. One of those bolts is going to go for the adjusting bracket I just mentioned. The other bolt slips in perfectly (from the back) with a spacer in between the bracket and the compressor (like indicated in the exploded parts diagram), but hangs out the other side unthreaded. Ignoring that glaring mistake, you are also left with the AIR compressor. The rear adjusting bracket bolt is fastened, there is a lower adjusting bracket bolt, and the AIR pump aligns perfectly with the AC compressor -- but there isn't enough room to squeeze the AIR pump bracket in there AND a spacer. The parts diagram clearly shows two spacers used in between the compressor and the bracket.

AIR Pump Reference:

Bolts 60 and 63

AC Compressor Reference:

I may be missing something simple. Hopefully.

Thanks in Advance.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Brackets on pre serpenteen engines can be a PITA.
Some newbees back in the day would have trouble with reassembly.

Off the ilistration it seems you have a 86-90 Olds 307 (5.0 L).
I'm guessing you're trying to restore a Fleetwood that was not complete.

A few general tips:
Standard bolts, 3/8-16 were used to attach to the front engine block & head.
There's a 7/16 bolt & spacer on the block side for the power steering bracket.
The head bolts had a stud on each side, maybe 7/16 or 1/2 for a bracket.

Metric bolts were used going thru the brackets to an accessory or nut.
All accesories were threaded metric.
The alternator back thread may be an exception depending on replacement case may be an older design.

Spacers were never doubled up.

All the GM accesories had 3 bolts or more.
Think they always had a back bolt.
Such as 1 thru bolt, 1 front bolt, 1 back bolt.

Try searching for pictures of 86-90 Olds 307 engines.

There's got to be some videos on the olds 307 front engine repairs.
Try looking up water pump A/C compresser, or air injection pump replacement for the Olds 307. The same engine in the Cutlass & Delta 88 of those years.

Factory service manuals can be a lot of help for things like this.

Pictures may help us understand what you have going on.

#6 ·
In pic 1 the top air pump bolt head faced the front of the car.
Most often it was this way.

The new A/C compressor bolt in the same pic looks a bit long.

Bottom pic I don't know what area I'm looking at.
Bt the spacer never goes between the bolt head & bracket.
If that's the correct size spacer for that location it would go between the item & bracket.
Or between the 2 brackets.
Even with the spacer the bolt looks too long.

One place that may have the answer is the local salvage yard.
If you can find the same Olds engine in the same 1980's era with all the pasenger assesories ypu would be in luck.
They put the 307's in full size GM cars except Chevy and mid-sized Olds Cutlas.
Then you can get the correct hardware & spacers.
While you're at it you might look at changing the 2 brackets with the square adjusting hole if yours are questionable.
Shouldn't cost much besides time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.