Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'01 Pearl White - Sold 10/11, '09 Raven Black :)
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this is possible or has been done? It would be nice to have though...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He means the liftgate on the regular Escalade. Like the Navigator and the new body Escalade.

Frankly, I'd be just fine with power automated open and manual close. It's opening the damn thing with your hands full that's annoying.
LOL, there you have it - you got me and I am guilty as charged lol. Anyway has anyone seen or done this mod?

·
Registered
99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT
1,363 Posts
how far does the liftgate have to open before the factory shocks take over and lift it?

i have an idea

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Back in the day on my Acura Integra, I shaved the door handles. Theres a door popper that goes inside the door (tailgate) that remotely pulls the release mechanism to open the tail gate. Now you can put 2 "door poppers".... one on each side. They make poppers that have 105lbs tension. Total would be 210lbs of pushing force. The problem is most only "pop" about 2 inches. So you will have a QUICK 210lb push for 2 inches, I dont know if that would be enough to make it 12 inches. Also, this will only open the tailgate, your going to have to close it manually, but you guys wanted it to open when your hands were full :) I can help you with wiring or w/e if anyone has the nuts to try it.... I was drunk last night when I made that post ^ .... usually I dont think too clearly, but hopefully it works! Anyways I have an EXT so this doesn't pertain to me.

You will only need one popper solenoid if you have an alarm with an AUX button.... the rest is useless. The gate will still open, close and lock the same.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
heres the basic idea.... these are standard 45lb poppers from what i can tell

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey I just thought of this - although it sounds kinda extreme but what if there was a way to replace both the stock shocks with air cylinders to open and close? You could run it off a small compressor I guess and use air valves to control them....

·
Registered
escalade
19 Posts
Hey I just thought of this - although it sounds kinda extreme but what if there was a way to replace both the stock shocks with air cylinders to open and close? You could run it off a small compressor I guess and use air valves to control them....
Sounds promising.
How would it work?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
4 Posts
I've always wondered this. Except everywhere I read said it's still almost impossible for NBS Tahoes/Yukons that don't have it equipped. Thank god our ESV and Hoe have them.

My dad took apart our totaled 2008 Denali, and I took a look at the liftgate motor. Isn't there some way an electrician could wire it to open/close anything as long as it gets power? That's what I would think would be the easiest option. Order the motor, set it inside the same compartment where the NBS Escalades have them, hook up its shocks where the manual ones went, then wire it to the battery somehow to get power, and wire a switch to it to install on the dash somewhere.

Sound legit?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah that sounds pretty straight forward but I suspect there has to be some sort of "control module" for it to detect an overload or if something or someone is obstructing the liftgate, etc. ...

So do you have the actual electric tailgate mechanism? Maybe you could post some pics so someone could perhaps figure something out... :)

I am wondering if I should start looking for a used mechanism to play around with...hmmm....

·
Registered
escalade
19 Posts
Yeah that sounds pretty straight forward but I suspect there has to be some sort of "control module" for it to detect an overload or if something or someone is obstructing the liftgate, etc. ...

So do you have the actual electric tailgate mechanism? Maybe you could post some pics so someone could perhaps figure something out... :)

I am wondering if I should start looking for a used mechanism to play around with...hmmm....
That would be great.
And pics too.
Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I guess that makes another one for the book of "The stuff GM screwed us over in the Escalade" - don't get me started on the audio system...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts