Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this item in the latest Motor Trend, GM has definitely killed off its planned rear-drive platform, which means no big RWD Buicks or Impalas/Monte Carlos.

Big mistake, I say. Buick could return to profitability with a great successor to the Electra, Wildcat, or Riviera, and the next Monte Carlo/Impala really needs to get back to its roots. If the world's biggest car company can't invest in its own future, where can it go from here?

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Yeah, they're betting on their new SUVS for '07 with the DoD engines to get them through. But as we all know, SUVs are fading out. They just aren't popular anymore. Now that you have larger cars, like the Dodge Charger and the crossovers, there's no need to get gas guzzling, road hogging SUVs. And people won't even pay attention to the DoD stuff, they will just pay attention to gas prices, and they will see that Honda Accord 250 HP V6 that gets 38 MPG because its a hybrid. And they will look at GM, who, as usual, won't have anything to compete with it, because Bob Lutz thought hybrids were "impractical" and "just a fad".

They were a fad, but now they've become a truly viable option. Gas prices are high, and hybrids are making Toyota look like even more of great car company. Not only are they delivering excellent fuel economy, but they are "environementally friendly" while GM just puts out Chevy Suburbans that suck gas like there's no tommorow...:nono:

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Ya know Motor Trend always, ALWAYS steps on GM. They never have anything positive to say about GM. I for one can't stand MT magazine for this particular reason. GM is definately making a mistake here with the cancelation of the RWD platform but you know how these things are never final. Let some money roll in first and we'll see what happens. I have a lotta faith in the '06 models success.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
You have to realize that there is about a threemonth lead time to press for these magazines. GM announced the revival of the RWD platform long after this info went to press.:)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
ben72227 said:
Yeah, they're betting on their new SUVS for '07 with the DoD engines to get them through. But as we all know, SUVs are fading out. They just aren't popular anymore. Now that you have larger cars, like the Dodge Charger and the crossovers, there's no need to get gas guzzling, road hogging SUVs. And people won't even pay attention to the DoD stuff, they will just pay attention to gas prices, and they will see that Honda Accord 250 HP V6 that gets 38 MPG because its a hybrid. And they will look at GM, who, as usual, won't have anything to compete with it, because Bob Lutz thought hybrids were "impractical" and "just a fad".

They were a fad, but now they've become a truly viable option. Gas prices are high, and hybrids are making Toyota look like even more of great car company. Not only are they delivering excellent fuel economy, but they are "environementally friendly" while GM just puts out Chevy Suburbans that suck gas like there's no tommorow...:nono:
you realize hybrid cars are just a stepping stone? they really aren't all they are hyped up to be...

and people with Prius are getting 36mpg... and not 50 like they claim.. and on the highway, DoD is so much more effictive then Hyrbrid which is not effictive...

hybrid is nothing more then something to hold us over until an alternate fuel source is made... and GM is dumping loads of money into hydrogen cars, THAT is what we'll be driving in 25 years, and right now, Toyota and Honda are not doing a damn thing, but giving you an Accord that gets 26mpg...

I don't see why people complain about GM and the lack of hyrbid intrest... there is realy nothing good to be had in that market... more money to buy (over gas-only version) which takes about 5 years to just offset... not to mention all the extra junk in a hybrid car... they are extremly difficult to work on... I'd like to see if a Prius is just as good in 27 years as my '79 DeVille is now... oh yeah, when you gotta replace those batteries, which is only warranteed for like 3 years.. that'll be a huge chunk of money, you can't get them at Radio Shack after all....

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
They really have to quit yanking my damn chain with this RWD, wait NO RWD, wait RWD again, wait NO RWD.... this is bullhonkey.

Hybrids are a stop gap. That is all.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
I couldn't have said it better myself. GM's not behind at all, they're a step ahead of everyone else. Hybrids aren't gonna be around forever.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
What's all this fuss about RWD saving Buick from certain destruction? :hmm:

I thought only 3 living people in the whole US even knew why RWD was better than FWD? And they weren't the old farts living in Costa Del Rio Florida who buy Buicks for those savage winter Florida snow storms!! :D

But seriously, GM doesn't know what the hell GM is going to do, so how could MT possibly be the last word (or any magazine)?

GM would do well to offer a good, no a GREAT Chevy Sedan and Coupe, with a better equiped and better looking Pontiac Sedan and Coupe.

We don't need 3 RWD sedans/coupes anymore than we need 5 flavors of Trailblazers. 2 of each is more than sufficient to cover your bases.

With Pontiac and Buick sharing the same showroom, you don't want Buick being a POontiac cross dressing in grandma's clothes. Let the sexy little Pontiac be miss thing so there are no cat fights, and let grandma Buick do what she does, with her full width bench seat.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, the article set asside then, it's still no secret that GM has been starving Buick for decent RWD product for years, and likely it will continue. I think that's what the article was implying. Many people would rather have a RWD sedan, especially the Impala SS in RWD format to compete with the "gaining in popularity" RWD sedans out there.

Many people here are complaining about GM not bringing back a Fleetwood in RWD from Cadillac, it is likely the same criticism from loyal Buick fans since they axed the Roadmaster, for example.

To offer a "great" sedan, many would only seriously consider a RWD, and NOT a FWD. If GM does not give Buick a decent RWD vehicle, it will continue to struggle and it could be argued Buick is starving to death.

First people bitch that there are too many FWD vehicles, and people will still bitch there are too many RWD vehicles, or so it seems. If Buick and Chevy want to compete, they need a RWD platform. The return of a RWD Electra would be a start.

Hopefully GM will do the opposite of the article, but I'm not holding my breath on that one...

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
HotRodSaint said:
GM would do well to offer a good, no a GREAT Chevy Sedan and Coupe, with a better equiped and better looking Pontiac Sedan and Coupe.
Sorry that should have read "GREAT RWD Chevy Sedan".

Buick still doesn't need RWD to survive.

Pontiac absolutley does and it would also help Chevy.

That said, it would be nice if Chevy built a mid and a full size RWD car. Pontiac could have the mid and Buick the full.

But a mid size should be GM's priority, and Buick doesn't need a mid RWD anymore than GM needs three flavors of the same car.

Base and Sport is all they need in a mid RWD sedan. Call it whatever, and price it well below 30g's.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How can one imply RWD WOULD help Chevy AND Pontiac but somehow it would NOT help Buick?? MANY Roadmaster and GSX fans would argue that one. Buicks fame was built on great cars from the glory days like the Wildcat, Electra, GSX, etc. To simply say "it would NOT" help Buick is understatement or very innacurate IMO, unless they do not care if Buick survives at all, which is NOT focussing on the long-term, or the current trends. With increasing engine power from all makers, RWD is the next logical step in having a better and balanced automobile and the STS-V would be a perfect example of this, and the NEED for RWD. Buick needs RWD and another vehicle for "Affordable Luxury." The Allure (Lacrosse) is simply not cutting it.

Why would a nice Buick mid-size RWD NOT benefit Buick?! I think it certainly would! How about a new mid-sized RWD GSX to stir things up with the Ford Mustang since it dominates the sales in this niche, and bring some much needed publicity to the starved division...

If GM continues with too many FWD vehicles, they are and will be left behind. Buick might hold it's own sales wise, for now, but to be GREAT again, they need RWD, especially Buick, since they were known for "affordable luxury, and a smoother ride throughout history."

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
the article is old ...honestly , remeber those monthly magazines are basicly done 30 days ahead fo when you get it ....

the same spies that proclaim the death of the RWD also claimed the lucerne would get a 5300 .....spies arent exactly the most accurate folks in the business , nother error there is that IRS didnt make it to the Fullsize SUVs , i just got 2 techs back from GM school in detroit , where they were taught the new escalade , while they didnt see the body , they got to work with the drivetrain , a turbodiesl ,7speed auto and IRS ....belive me , i set there and argued with my shop foreman ....it made it or GM wouldnt have bothered teaching them how to fix it ....

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Ralph said:
To simply say "it would NOT" help Buick is understatement or very innacurate IMO, unless they do not care if Buick survives at all, which is NOT focussing on the long-term, or the current trends.
AWD would be better for Buick.

And GM's problem has been focusing on todays trends, while not planning for tomorrows. That's why they have good SUV's and very little else.

But that's my opinion, like it or don't.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
GM as a whole has been starving for product ....

i mean , who wouald have thought in 1959 that in 1996 The best cadillac would be built out of an "Impala"

or ask a buick exec in 1959 if theyd be selling little german cars called opel kadets

ask pontiac in 1965 if theyd find themselves having ther best selling car be built by ....TOYOTA

Ask chevy in 1985 if theyd find no more camaros on lots ....

GMs been staveing for years ....this trouble didnt happen yesterday

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HotRodSaint said:
AWD would be better for Buick.

And GM's problem has been focusing on todays trends, while not planning for tomorrows. That's why they have good SUV's and very little else.

But that's my opinion, like it or don't.
AWD is a different issue in THIS thread (about RWD), as it would obviously benefit ANY car, especially in a 4 season climate. That is not being argued here, and it goes without saying, it's a given. You are implying what I said regarding GM "should consider the long-term" and NOT be short sighted for today's trends, that is nothing new in my wording either.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stoneage_Caddy said:
GM as a whole has been starving for product ....
I don't think that has been true for Cadillac and Saturn, as of late. If I recall, GM has plans to re-invest in all of the divisions, but whether they use that money wisely, is up to each division, more or less.

I think it is more than safe to say the re-investiment has been paying off for Cadillac...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts