Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just replaced the motor in a 2006 CTS I picked up for dirt cheap. Replaced it with a 2009 3.6. I’m getting a whole handful of codes pertaining to the variable timing system. P0010 p0013 etc. I’ve replaced the solenoids and checked grounds. Has anyone ran into this issue and what can I do. The car seems to be running fine my issue is the check light on the dash but most importantly after driving the car when I turn it off it will not crank back up until I clear the codes. Once I clear the codes it starts up and runs great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was told halfway through 2009 they change some stuff up including going to direct injection from port injection but mine seems to be identical to the old motor

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,492 Posts
DI was available the first year of Gen II CTS with the LLT, the LY7 in Gen II ('08-'09) was port injection.
Agreed that your main hurdle here is likely module related.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,295 Posts
VERY different engine controls, emissions, and calibrations. Even the VIN-set PCM in the 2006 is very different from the 2009.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The early 07 and under 3.6 used a different timing set up including camshaft phasers and camshaft timing sensors as well as the timing chain itself. The newer motor has the new components which your 06 ecm isn't able to interpret correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys I’m the owner of the car in question and the guy that did the swap so I bought the used motor and was told it came out of a vandalized 09 it had no accessories so I transferred everything on exterior of my 06 motor and put it on the 09 motor even the original ecm to the vehicle the camshaft position sensors and solenoids I did all the other senors to but I’m not have problems with nothing else other then the camshaft position sensors and solenoids there both ly7

·
Registered
16 Posts
The rings on your cam gears are different than the ones in your old motor. If you pull both valve covers you will see the difference rhe one with the sharp teeth is gen 1 cam phaser and the rounded teeth are gen 2 phaser. The part on the outside of the gear is the timing ring for the cams they are completely different. I went through this tith my 07 as it had the gen 1 cam gears which broke. I replaced them with gen 2 gears and the matching timing chain which didn't work so I replaced all the gears a second time with the correct ones and another new timing set and boom all was good. By the way my car is an early 07 which had the old style gears in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you still have the old motor you could pull the phasers and just buy a new timing set. I got both sets of cam phasers from a local junkyard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you still have the old motor you could pull the phasers and just buy a new timing set. I got both sets of cam phasers from a local junkyard.
I just posted pictures of the phasers on the old motor unfortunately I took the car to a local mechanic so I can’t look at the ones on it but I’m pretty sure this is my problem I’m like 99% sure the ones on the running motor are the rounded ones so just to put this out there the codes that I’m getting off the car are some all the solenoid codes are control circuit I’m getting a exhaust camshaft position sensor performance bank 2 and a intake camshaft position sensor circuit low voltage

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would definitely be inclined to say that since the ecm is looking for cam timing from the old reluctor rings on the cam gears that it would throw some timing related codes like the ones you have. Out side of that make sure all the grounds on the ecm are tight and corrosion free and i would think problem solved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts