Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I need motor mounts for my caddie sts 1994. when you put the engin in drive you can see it kick up more then its supposed to. because the bottom left (looking at engin)mount may be broken. was wondering if how much it may cost me.

21 cadillac driver and half ass mechanic
appreciate any insight
I love credit so far

·
Registered
586 Posts
try GMpartsdirect.com. send them an email and ask, and include your VIN so they can find the right part.

but its gunna be about $100-120 for the part... from the dealer, expect to pay around $150+

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanic gave me price for lower left motor mount and 2 top stabalizers for 292. sounds about right where i live now in south florida one guy said 502. Everybody thinks I'm rich now cause of the car when I'm just some broke kid that made a couple bucks off fungus.

·
Registered
586 Posts
xxxaxel said:
Mechanic gave me price for lower left motor mount and 2 top stabalizers for 292. sounds about right where i live now in south florida one guy said 502. Everybody thinks I'm rich now cause of the car when I'm just some broke kid that made a couple bucks off fungus.

the top ones cost $100 total shipped (max... mine were $93 to my door). the bottom one might be a little more, but no more thna $100. If you wanna save some money, the top ones take literally 10 min to do yourself. You may want your mechanic to do the bottom one for you if you dont have alot of mechanical knowledge.

·
Registered
192 Posts
xxaxel brings up a good point--people think you're rich if you're wheelin that Cad (I guess that's a tribute to their marketing efforts) but really I just needed a 2 door car that rode nice and could get out of its own way...Is that like reading Playboy for the articles?

·
Registered
1992 STS
4 Posts
Hi,

I drive a 92 STS and I just brought my car in for an oil change today. My mechanic showed me that my engine motor mounts are failing and the engine is popping up quite a bit when I accelerate.

I do not know too much about cars and I've never seen this problem before. So I'd like to know:

1) Is this a serious problem? Should I fix it immediately or can it wait? (My mechanic told me that I should get them fixed ASAP, because it is possible that i may not be able to stop the car if it the engine gets stuck and also because it puts stress on the other mounts) Is that true?

2) How much would it cost? My mechanic told me including labor about $600, which I honestly find hard to believe. Is he ripping me off? Or should I just bring it to a cadillac dealer to take a look at it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
AZ_ Cadillac said:
Hi,

I drive a 92 STS and I just brought my car in for an oil change today. My mechanic showed me that my engine motor mounts are failing and the engine is popping up quite a bit when I accelerate.

I do not know too much about cars and I've never seen this problem before. So I'd like to know:

1) Is this a serious problem? Should I fix it immediately or can it wait? (My mechanic told me that I should get them fixed ASAP, because it is possible that i may not be able to stop the car if it the engine gets stuck and also because it puts stress on the other mounts) Is that true?

2) How much would it cost? My mechanic told me including labor about $600, which I honestly find hard to believe. Is he ripping me off? Or should I just bring it to a cadillac dealer to take a look at it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Like stated above, the mount(s) themselves are not too expensive, only about 100 or so. It's the labor which is driving up your mechanics price quote. He will probably start on your car, eat a few sandwiches, wash that down with a pepsi or two, then go back to your car for a while. After that he will take another long, uneeded break, get back to work again, and continue the cycle.

In all honesty, mechanics usually charge "book hours" to do the job. Whether they finish a job which the book calls for six hours, and they can finish it in three, your going to be charged for six hours labor.

If your mechanically enclined, you can do the mounts yourself. I bet I could train a monkey to do the top one. With no skill level, your first time doing it ever, it would probably take you about two hours to hit both of the motor mounts tops.

You don't want weak, or broken motor mounts. It puts unecessary stress on the motor, driveline, and other mounts, due to excess movement. It is definately not something you should ignore for very long.
Spend the money and get it fixed, and get it fixed right, but also seek out a few other estimates on the work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cadillac says that the mount that breaks the most is the mount on the left side of the engine, which corresponds to the front of the engine near the radiator.

I bought it today for $109.00 at Cadillac. This engine makes so much power, it is easy to "torque" the engine up and strain the mounts.

I am lost as to what you mean by upper and lower mounts. I am on my way outside to install the "front" mount.

Wish me luck.

GSEREP1

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Imagine that...that is the worst mount I have. I have thought about doing it. I have a copy of a post from caddyinfo.com that says you can cut the end off a hard rubber mallet and use it. you would have to make it the right circumference and put a hole thru the center, of course.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Motor Mounts? MOUNTS ARE IN!!!

MAN,
What a HECK of a job to get the "front" mount in. It is pretty labor-intensive, and worth a lot of money to change.

I jacked the car up and put the jackstands on the front frame..(or CRADLE) of the car. This is my first Northstar, but won't be the last one I will work on. PARTS of it are pretty annoying, but overall, not bad.

After positioning the jackstands, I used the 2 1/2 ton floorjack to jack up just the engine, and saw the mount separate. This mount is closest to the radiator. The mount bolts to a "cradle" which connects to the engine up high near the valve cover.

I had to do a little manuevering to get the mount in and out of the car. IT WAS tougher than I thought. I had to drop the lower crade to get the mount through it, and out.

Once bolted in, reassembly was a snap, and there is NO appreciable slop in the driveline. It is a joy to drive

One of these days, I will get pictures.

GSEREP1

·
Registered
1996 STS
1,489 Posts
Re: Motor Mounts? MOUNTS ARE IN!!!

Mounts suck, to replace that is. Find a cheap mech. They are sometimes labor intense, but hard to mess up. No "moving parts" so to speak.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Eldyfig said:
Imagine that...that is the worst mount I have. I have thought about doing it. I have a copy of a post from caddyinfo.com that says you can cut the end off a hard rubber mallet and use it. you would have to make it the right circumference and put a hole thru the center, of course.
Okay, now I see. My worst one isn't the one on the front of the engine. It is in the front of the car, but back side of the engine. I was actually talking about the dogbone near the topside. My repair manual calls them engine support struts. The post I read before said you could use the ends of a rubber mallet to replace the rubber in these dogbones. What do you think?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If that motor mount cost $22.00 at an auto parts store, then I agree, I paid way TOO MUCH!

Well that tears it..from here on in, I will research more places before going to the dealership for parts.

I am not sure I have that kind of parts store here in San Diego, but maybe some other store has the same kind of deal.

UPDATE: I checked the website, and the mount I needed was $54.99 not $22.00 as you claimed. The cheaper mounts are for the transmission, not the engine. But it is a good price nevertheless. By the time I pay shipping, and wait for it to get out here, it is easier to pay a bit more and save time.

Thanks again!
GSEREP1

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are talking about the mounts on either side of the car, then you will have to jack up the car and support it with jack stands. Remove the lower plastic cover from underneath to make it easy to see from the bottom and top. Then remove the accessories on top necessary to see the mounts..(example air cleaner snorkel, air hoses, and the like.

Then support the engine from underneath using a floor jack and a block of wood to protect the aluminum undercarriage when jacking up the engine. Jack un only high enough to make bolt removal easy. If the unit is jacked too high, the car will start lifting off the jackstands, and you will not be able to get the mount off.

Find the motor mount you want to change. I have a 175 psi air compressor and tank to run my air tools, so bolt removal on the mounts are easy. Turning the mounts off by hand is really labor intensive, and takes considerably longer.

Remove and replace the mount, and tighten back. Then move to the other side and repeat. Replace everything and test drive.

Thanks
GSEREP1

·
Registered
95 seville sts Z, 2001 STS Z-rated
22 Posts
whats eeven better is replace the rubber pieces on the motor mount and file in with black windows silicon...or make your own with some sort of round mold...and using black window silicon at home depot or something...it works sweet..less engine shake/vibration...and better acceleration...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts