Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
cts
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if your motor mounts are bad? Everything drive tran wise trans bushing, carrier bushing, rear diff bushings were shot on it leads me to wonder about my motor mounts but I dobt know how I can tell if they are?

·
Registered
2004 CTS luxury package
300 Posts
Easiest way is to open the hood and look at the engine while someone else sits in the car and taps on the accelerator. Stand to the side for safety,
and have him put the car in various gears while firmly holding the brakes with one foot, and tap the accelerator with the other. See how much the engine
moves on its mounts. There should be a little movement, but not a lot. Certainly the engine should not buck and make clunking noises, but it will
if the mounts are torn up, allowing more movement.

A visual inspection of the mounts, accompanied by manually moving the engine around with a carefully placed prybar, will tell you the same thing, and more.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V automatic
307 Posts
From underneath the engine, look to see if there has been fluid leaking and streaming away from the cylindrical rubber motor mounts. The engine movement is dampened with this fluid and the mounts are shot if they have leaked, even though the engine does not move around excessively as would happen in older cars. This is by design.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts