Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Eldorado ETC
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm too busy to put my own car up on the rack and I've never paid attention before...but how many motor mounts does the Northstar have (excluding the dog bones)?

I looked it up and my parts supplier has access only to the right-side motor mount. I was wondering if that's all I could get...

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It varies by year and I have seen so many it's hard to filter them out by that criteria.
If I had to guess I think I'd say three other than the dogbones.
If I had a memory, I could look while I was working on one.
I don't have any slated for today. I do have 3 XLRs to finish up :( and a Seville to road test. I have a radio on order for an SRX and 2 more cars I haven't even looked at yet... but if I can remember :D I'll try to take a look if you REALLY want to know. Bump this thread a couple times today and I'll see it. I usually check on here when I get too stressed out!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think that you will find 4 all total. The dogbones are really torgue struts and not included in the count. Almost all GM front drive cars have 4 yet they are not called "motor" mounts. Transmission mounts are included in this, which may be as many as three and one motor mount. Check with your local dealer if you don't have a manual for your model and be specific that you want a listing for all mounts both engine and transmission. You may be told something like this;
1 Front left trans mount
2 Rear right trans mount
3 Front right engine mount
4 Rear left trans mount
It is not as simple as two side mounts and a trans mount like it used to be.
lry99eldo

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There are two "powertrain" mounts that are actually transmission mounts.
One is centered on the left side under a bracket in front of the trans side cover.
One bolts up near the extension housing on the right side of the trans and one is located right behind the A/C compressor on the engine. So techncially it has 2 trans mounts, one engine mount and 2 dogbones, or torque struts.
At least according to the factory service manual, and what I can remember.

·
Registered
1993 Eldorado ETC
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for your input...I put it up on my lunch today and found all the mounts. RR trans mount is soaked with oil (surprise) so I'll probably have to find that little problem, too!

Is the oil sending unit, by any chance, at the RR of the 93 Northstar (vin 9)?

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
The mounts are hydraulic, so if that transmount is covered in oil, I would be suspicious of a leak coming form the mount itself.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Oil sending unit on a northstar is near the oil filter on the front of the engine.
Which reminds me, I was looking at the wrong engine when I looked at the mounts in the manual, but.. then I realized they are in the same place because the subframe is the same... duh!
N* mounts should be hydraulic yes. The oil may have come from inside the mount as suggested.

·
Registered
1993 Eldorado ETC
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I did them...they're not fun (especially the front). A lift would be invaluble, and I found that disconnecting the upper "dog bones," removing the cooling fans, and dropping the subframe were all helpful.

I did the front and the RR mounts in just under three hours time (I'd never done a mount before). The LF mount looked like a cinch, but mine was still good.

NOT a fun job, but not really that hard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the reply....Yea, I have a lift so I think I will take it on....I ordered the parts this morning and plan on replacing all them this weekend.....:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts