Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always love threads with carnage.
these mounts are off my 05 with only 31,000miles
drivers side, it has lot of play

passenger side starting to separate

I got the CS Grey mounts installed. I really didn't want to deal with this in the driveway on my back. no heat shielding because my installer didn't like the way they fitted and said they were not needed.. im thinking about trying to wrap them with some header wrap but is it really necessary?

Mounts are a must do mod IMO. My car had relatively low miles and the mounts were toasted. SOO I cant even imagine what guys with 50k look like. My car feels brand new with these mounts. Well i don't know what this car felt like when it was new so i'm guessing this is it.haha no new noticeable vibrations that would annoy me. took her up to triple digits and she feels like a rock. however, I notice certain new cues but that is only because i know the car well. my friends couldn't even tell.. i told them i did a new mod and took um for a ride.. they couldn't figure it out:hmm:

When coming to a stop in Neural. i can feel the motor slowing down. Shutdown is like a kill switch. instantly dead.. before it would take 2-3 seconds of dieseling before it stopped. overall allot of my clunk has disappeared. i can still hear the pinion lash but its softer. I changed out the tany fluid to Amisol Torque Drive ATF and the T56 shifts like butter. Im really surprised with what a difference it made on DD. :bouncy:

oh and so far(50miles) i haven't had any weird idling issues like whislter.. rock solid at 900rpms. bogging the car(i.e.being in the wrong gear/wrong rpm) is more noticeable now as it should be.

·
Registered
cts-v
2,741 Posts
cool you got them on. i have the trans mount in, once i get my headache back on the road i will put in the motor mounts.

bw my stock mounts lasted till about 51k or so the ones in the car were warranty when my diff was swapped and they look fine but they are coming out anyway.

·
Registered
NONE.....Yet
5 Posts
Didn't like the "look" of them?!? You may end up wishing you had the heat shields installed. My CS motor mounts MELTED without the heatshields.

Graham

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol: yea, i got them installed..

Didn't like the "look" of them?!? You may end up wishing you had the heat shields installed. My CS motor mounts MELTED without the heatshields.

Graham

so whats gonna happen when they melt? my headers are wrapped so temps shouldn't be that bad under there...

·
Registered
NONE.....Yet
5 Posts
so whats gonna happen when they melt? my headers are wrapped so temps shouldn't be that bad under there...

When mine melted (CS forgot to send the heatshields) they sent replacements to be and covered the shops labor. The melted ones ended up looking worse and shaking worse than the original stock mounts in only 500 miles of babied driving. Short and simple you will have to replace them.

I don't know if they are putting out some bad batches but my replacement mounts (installed with heatshields) have started to bubble and are starting to allow vibration after 1500mi........:suspect:

I can't speak for the wrapped headers and whether or not that will help.

My fingers are crossed for you.

Graham

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
phak me.. i hate working on this car on ramps... why are the heat shields optional if they are necessary??:hmm:

·
Vendor
04 Black CTS-V
400 Posts
phak me.. i hate working on this car on ramps... why are the heat shields optional if they are necessary??:hmm:
The heat shields are not optional, they are required. What was the problem that your mechanic had with the way they fit? He should have used both the factory and our heat shields, they work just fine together. Putting heat wrap on the mounts has worked good for others here on the forum too.
As far as what is going on with Grahams car.....it's a mystery to me. There's a 100 cars out there with our mounts with no melting issues since we started shipping and requiring heat shields about 10 months ago. There is definitely something different about his car or the way the mounts are being installed. His car has stock manifolds with a cat-back and the mounts are a no brainer to install, I know, but some thing is askew. 1 car out of a 100 :cookoo:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can some one please confirm that these heat shields fit with Longtube Headers installed.. My mechanic asked me to find out, shes going back in on monday :(

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
906 Posts
1000mi on my gray mounts
headers not wrapped but coated
3/4" between steering rod and header
even distance from fueal rail to strut brace
mounts have CS heat shields, full inswool sock around mount and then wrapped in reflective tape..

If I eventually have problems, there are bigger problems to worry about - so far A-OK

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Can some one please confirm that these heat shields fit with Longtube Headers installed.. My mechanic asked me to find out, shes going back in on monday :(
I have the CS motor mounts and Kooks 1 3/4" headers not coated. My shop (SNL Performance) checked my mounts this morning and they are perfect. We have the heat shields on and they are working perfectly. I have aprox 1000 miles on my mounts and love them.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Finally got around to reading this thread all the way through, Will. Maybe your installer didn't realize that the heat shields are designed to be bent at a 90 degree angle? :hmm:

That's the only thing I can think of. There is plenty of room for them in there. Come over and take a look at mine if you want.

+3 for headers (coated) and heat shields fitting perfectly. Hopefully he isn't charging you to throw these in second time around when he should have done so first :mad:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the CS motor mounts and Kooks 1 3/4" headers not coated. My shop (SNL Performance) checked my mounts this morning and they are perfect. We have the heat shields on and they are working perfectly. I have aprox 1000 miles on my mounts and love them.
good to hear that they are still perfect after 1k... i have been reading about some scary problems recently of these mounts failing. well see

Finally got around to reading this thread all the way through, Will. Maybe your installer didn't realize that the heat shields are designed to be bent at a 90 degree angle? :hmm:

That's the only thing I can think of. There is plenty of room for them in there. Come over and take a look at mine if you want.

+3 for headers (coated) and heat shields fitting perfectly. Hopefully he isn't charging you to throw these in second time around when he should have done so first :mad:
yea hes putting the heat shields on right now. getting the job done right.no charge. i hate not installing mods but i just don't have the equipment to support the engine

1 - 20 of 24 Posts