Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother currently has a BMW 330 Cd, she loves it, but she wants something with four doors and a big "trunk" for tooling around in. Sometimes it isnt easy for her to get out of the beemer because its so low down, she is looking to spend about £10k UK. ($17k US) with a maximum of £15k, which is about $24k US, but you knew that :p

So she wants a big, cheap, comfortable four door, relatively powerful, smooth four door car. Preferabely with a V6

So far I have spoken to her about:

Toyota Camry (2002 - £11k)
Nissan Maxima QX (2002 - £10k)

I have thought about:

Volvo S80 2.4 (2002 - £11k)
Skoda Superb 2.8 V6 (2002 - £9k)

For those of you who dont know what a Skoda Superb is its basically a VW Passat with a long wheelbase and similar superb quality for less money

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
I would say if she's looking for a nissan to go with the Maxima. *I don't know what Nissan's are available across the pond compared to here in the US* but the Maxima's are awesome cars and have good power and have a decent amount of options. I myself will be looking to get a Maxima in the spring. i would love to get a 2002-03 Maxima with a 6 speed manual but I think that will be out of my budget range, so I'm looking for 2001's with a 5 speed manual for the time being

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Honda Accord EX V6 ranked number one in the segment by car and driver.
I used to have one, its just great, quick, reliable as hell (80K miles not one problem).

Camry is coming out with an all-new model next year, so you can wait for the new one or use this info to drive a hard bargain. (I prefer the Honda)\

Maxima's ofcourse are nice. But I'm not big fan of the design or Nissan.

VW Passat
Audi6

...here's a thought....how about you give her your Buick !!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We got this Maxima QX, we dnt get the gorgeous new one America gets, they just scrapped it here:

Its a good car, but nobody bought them because of their lack of prestige badge, a luxury/BMW 5 series rival with a Nissan badge is never going to sel well here, same story with the Camry, so theyre dirt cheap, and they have a V6 too :D

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
powerglide said:
Honda Accord EX V6 ranked number one in the segment by car and driver.
I used to have one, its just great, quick, reliable as hell (80K miles not one problem).

Camry is coming out with an all-new model next year, so you can wait for the new one or use this info to drive a hard bargain. (I prefer the Honda)\

Maxima's ofcourse are nice. But I'm not big fan of the design or Nissan.

VW Passat
Audi6

...here's a thought....how about you give her your Buick !!
Didnt see this post!

She wont drive the Buick its LHD, she isnt very confident with them.

The VW is not an option really, because you have to hunt for the V6 models, most are Diesels or 1.8 Petrols. The Camry is no longer sold here, Im looking at maybe 2002-2003 model cars, thats why the Maxima ranks, it isnt sold here either, I thought about the Honda, but its the enxt class down really, along with the Passat. There are some European ones I also considered, primarily the Skoda, but also the Peugeot 607, the Vauxhall Signum (Omega replacement) and the Renault Vel Satis

Pug 607:

Vauxhall Signum:

Renault Vel Satis:

The Vauxhall and Renault are hatchbacks, but because of depreciation, they are great used buys!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jesda said:
Tidbit: The international Nissan Maxima is the same car as the US market Infiniti I30/I35.
Yeah, I thought it was, didnt you used to get that as the Nissan Maxima though?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jesda said:
No. :) But they're awfully similar under the skin, with tons of interchangeable mechanical and interior parts.
Similar outside too, the rear doors are a giveaway.

The same way America doesnt get the Nissan Primera, but you got the Infiniti G20?

They sell their ROW cars as Infiniti alot of the time?

^^ Primera ^^

^^G20^^

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LittleB said:
Dang Mccombie!! Your family is constantly buying vehicles LOL, I'm jealous!
Its mainly me, but we are a car family, my mother just needs somethign to carry her pensioner friends in :D

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
For 10K she could get a very nice Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Probably a 2002 model.

I'd suggest it's an easier car to get in than a saloon.

The Skoda is a very good car. A friend of mine has a VRS.
Not convinced with regards the seat material and general look of the trim, but no doubt hard wearing.

As Volvo's look good nowadays I'd consider one of them, also maybe a SAAB.

A Nissan isn't my cup of tea and while the Renault is quite plush and the Peugeot very pretty, I'd be worried about door handles coming off in my hand (don't laugh, I shut the door on my friends 3 month old Peugeot and the door handle actually fell off). Plus, a large French car is something you're liable to be stuck with forever.

But are other saloons any easier to get out of than a BMW?

(also, have you consiered Mercades or a large Audi?)

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
mccombie_5 said:
Similar outside too, the rear doors are a giveaway.
The same way America doesnt get the Nissan Primera, but you got the Infiniti G20?
That older Primera in your first pic is 100% identical to the 92-96 US market G20. I'm not sure if the later 99-02 G20 (your second photo) has a European sibling?
Our Infiniti M45 is the same as the Nissan Fuga with a new grille and tail. The old M45 was the same car as the Nissan Gloria. And there's more...

Every Infiniti in the US except the original 90-96 Q45 (which was sold in Japan as an Infiniti Q45) is a rebadge from Japan.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For 10K she could get a very nice Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Probably a 2002 model.

I'd suggest it's an easier car to get in than a saloon.

The Skoda is a very good car. A friend of mine has a VRS.
Not convinced with regards the seat material and general look of the trim, but no doubt hard wearing.

As Volvo's look good nowadays I'd consider one of them, also maybe a SAAB.

A Nissan isn't my cup of tea and while the Renault is quite plush and the Peugeot very pretty, I'd be worried about door handles coming off in my hand (don't laugh, I shut the door on my friends 3 month old Peugeot and the door handle actually fell off). Plus, a large French car is something you're liable to be stuck with forever.

But are other saloons any easier to get out of than a BMW?

(also, have you consiered Mercades or a large Audi?)

She dislikes 4x4s...

The French car thing worries me too, she probably wouldnt like either of those anyway.

The problem with the BMW is its a Coupe, a saloon is easier for her to open the doors (coupe=huge doors and they cant always be opened as wide as she needs) so a saloon is the best bet, V6 so it isnt a slouch, and four doors just for practicality, along with some leather seats and nice toys. £10k is a good price to pay fro alot of these, particularly the Volvo, since it was over £30k new.

The basics are: cheap, easy to enter/exit, four doors, V6. The Nissan, despite being boring is a good car, along with the Camry and the others, although the Frenchies are dodgy.

B: I wouldnt expect you to have a drivway full of cars, I pay a price too remember, I am old enough to have my mortgage paid.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jesda said:
That older Primera in your first pic is 100% identical to the 92-96 US market G20. I'm not sure if the later 99-02 G20 (your second photo) has a European sibling?
Our Infiniti M45 is the same as the Nissan Fuga with a new grille and tail. The old M45 was the same car as the Nissan Gloria. And there's more...

Every Infiniti in the US except the original 90-96 Q45 (which was sold in Japan as an Infiniti Q45) is a rebadge from Japan.

We got this Primera for a few years before the 2002+ model was launched, otherwise, the Primera originally shown, was in circulation with minor changes for six or seven years.

This is the current Primera (2002 onwards):

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ben72227 said:
What about a new Vauxhall Astra? Or a used Vectra?
They sort of sit in a different league, if it were to be any Vauxhall it would be the Omega (yes your US Catera) because its a four door, V6 powered executive express.

The newer Vectra is a big car, but its VERY common, everyone and their granny has one. The Omega is slightly less common, but much smoother and has more toys.

The Astra is good, but as far as im aware its only available with a hatchback and a four pot engine. Its too small really.

The reason we liked the Camry adn Maxima is because they are luxury but they are cheap cheap cheap, a BMW of a similar year would be abotu £25k, and less smooth.

So far the Maxima is in the lead, but for £17,000 she can get a VW Phaeton 3.2 V6 (the golf R32 engine)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts