Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Porsche Panamera just left the dealership after three weeks and a 9 page report of what was completed. grand total $48,000. They replaced the cpu and did a full engine replacement. Car had 7,000 miles on it. It was never raced or abused. It went it because the service engine light came on and after they replaced the computer, it didn't go away so they pulled the engine.

The car should have been lemoned out but they wanted it fixed. The original engine and cpu was crated up and is being shipped to Germany for the engineers to examine.

For those who are interested the engine costs $35,000 plus labor.
This was a record for the Porche dealership.

a few wheel clicks and sunroof noise in nothing compared to this

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V / 2015 Porsche Cayenne
725 Posts
That doesn't surprise me considering the price of the vehicle (at least 160,000+) and the lack of parts availability as well. Be thankful, because at most dealerships (such as Porsche) they charge you a diagnosis fee for every complaint that you bring forth (min charge is usually 1 hr per complaint) at 140-150$ hr labor. I have never been charged at any Chev dealership in my lifetime to date for such things.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
392 Posts
Althought the OP doesn't specify, even the highest end of the Panamera is ~$140k and $35k for an engine in even that car is ridiculous, period. God, let's hope that with $48k of warranty work it was the high-end unit, otherwise they should have crushed it and moved on.

Under warranty I've never had Porsche charge me for anything, diagnosis or anything else, FYI.

Joe

·
Registered
CTS-V
213 Posts
Stories like this make me appreciate the simplicity in the LS line of engines. An LS9 can crank out more than 600hp and probably takes up less room than the Panamera Turbo's engine while weighing less.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Althought the OP doesn't specify, even the highest end of the Panamera is ~$140k and $35k for an engine in even that car is ridiculous, period. God, let's hope that with $48k of warranty work it was the high-end unit, otherwise they should have crushed it and moved on.

Under warranty I've never had Porsche charge me for anything, diagnosis or anything else, FYI.

Joe
Model 4s sticker price of about $107,000. The car should have been crushed and replaced but they promised if this isnt the cure then they give up. They finished when they said they would and so far the light is off..... for now

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Yep, I will never complain about a few creaks, rattles, or an oil leak then........

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto
455 Posts
From an engineering standpoint, the German cars are way overdone. There are those that get the impression that because they paid more for something, it should automatically be superior to the rest, i.e. Amsoil. What I really mean is that a pushrod engine, as simple as it is, can be efficient and powerful as well. Granted you might not get as much efficiency as in a VVti engine, but the probability of failure goes up as you add more and more moving parts to help out with saving fuel. We have all read the arguments from the European fanboys that German engineering is top notch. I get the impression that it is simply overkill, and the marketing of these cars appeals to those who love over-engineering and require a status symbol. What I have a hard time understanding is, who in their right mind would pay that much for an engine that has self-destructed? I realize that it WAS under warranty, but if it wasn't, you would have to be out of your mind to think it was of any value to pay that much to have the work done. On that note, I really hope the V does well in the speed world challenge, and I hope to see it walk some volkswagens, I mean, Porsches. It will really be nice to see the elitists reaction when an old mans caddy gets some wins.

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06
2,843 Posts
i'd chime in at my cost of my LSA replacment, but there are not costs associated with my items. IT's all listed as zero.

·
Registered
NONE YET
87 Posts
I don't think GM would give a shit if a V engine failed, they'd just tell you to f off. Porsche is doing something you'll never get if you buy GM, they replaced 48k worth of equipment and sent your engine to Germany to be examined to find the problem.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V wagon
500 Posts
I think GM would care, but I would prefer they just give me a new car and they take the old one and rip it apart. Call me crazy.

·
Registered
11' cts-v wagon
389 Posts
As an owner of many German engineered cars, and still a proud owner of 03' RS6(only year imported into USA), the cars are more complicated then necessary IMO. I love my RS6 and will never sell it, because I have a shit load of $ into in mods. But, when the car came to the US, it came with a pos suspension, hydraulically actuated called DRC, it has been recalled 2x and most owners rip it out and install coil overs, me KWv3. The other weak spot was trans, tip only and the ZF is awful. The TC has been recalled, and as most newer owners build on the engine, they have to almost always rlace the TQ or beef up transmission, I did both. This was an $83k car in 2003! Now then engine is bullet proof, but that's because it was a Cosworth. Audi owned cosworth in 03'. The engine with TT is amazing and for it's time fast, 450/446. Even funner, a timing belt must be replaced every 15k miles, and involves a total bumper removal, PIA. Got to love pushrods.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
As an owner of many German engineered cars...the cars are more complicated then necessary IMO.
It's not just the high-end cars. My stepdad's $25k GTI would not pop its hatch. They had to replace the module in the hatch, a module under the dash, and a module in the driver door. Over $600 in parts and labor. Good God. And don't even get me started on the DSG mechatronic...

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)
1,959 Posts
Old thread, but that dealer made some bank on the install. Probably why they wanted to fix it rather than lemon it.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I don't think GM would give a shit if a V engine failed, they'd just tell you to f off. Porsche is doing something you'll never get if you buy GM, they replaced 48k worth of equipment and sent your engine to Germany to be examined to find the problem.
As Barnum said there is a sucker born every minute!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts