Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there fellas,
I have a 99 STS, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the most expensive repairs to make on these cars. (ie.. transmission, computer, suspension, etc...)
Also, I would like some input as to --
-Should I be scared that expensive repairs may be needed, and therefore I should sell it?
-Should I keep the car, even though the warranty will be running out shortly?

-Any other input to encourage/discourage me to keep it, please.

Thanks,

-Mike

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6 AWD
429 Posts
Drive it like you stole it ;) at 23 000 miles the N* is brand new. Transmission can be expensive but I dont see why it will fail. Mine has over 110k miles on it and mainly trouble free. I replace the alternator (400$) water pump (250$) AC compressor (600$). Those are common repairs in my opinion and ive done all of those in my previous cars. Some had a lot lower mileage then my caddy, some a lot higher.

Keep the car and enjoy it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right, seeing that the most expensive repair (new engine) is out of the way. I guess if I keep up on the tranny maintenance (flush and fill), than I should be ok. Also, it is important to keep our cooling systems maintained.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
i second the new engine, mine blew 2 weeks after i had it thank god it was under warrenty, cost me 8,324 at a dealer, well it really cost me nothing. i only paid 8,990 for the car lol i think i got my moneys worth thus far, not to mention the compressor, blower motor, and water pump also went under warrenty and were replaced at no cost to me lol.

·
Registered
1999 Black and Tan STS
753 Posts
Largest cash output on my car was $4500. Not under warranty. That was water pump failure, causing head gasket failure. I guess there was about 130,000 miles on it at the time. We bought it at 12,000 miles. Right now I'm not sure which is a bigger hole to throw my money, this car or my Pool.
Oh. Merry Christmas..

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
youve put almost 120k on the car and thats your biggest expense i really wouldnt view that as a money pit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just dread the fact that these N*'s have so many reported incidents of head gasket failure, that It can blow anytime.
Do the computers ever need replacement that you know of?

BTW Merry Christmas to you also

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
no ive never really herd of computer problems now that they are located outside of the cab under the hood in the air box to keep it cool they usually dont fry, however the 98+ Sevilles cause of all their goodies have alot more sensors that start to go, there have also been reports of alot of grounding issue but i havent had any problems like that with my dads 98 sts just a few sensors.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
depends on your sensor, if its a steering wheel position sensor then your steering collum has to be pulled. if its an abs sensor then all you need is to pull a wheel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts