Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a kickass junkyard today, well thanks to someone at my school telling me about it.... of the many, many cars and LOADS of Caddys, there is a '79 Fleetwood Brougham...kinda rough, but all there. I wanna go back tomorrow to get some more Fleetwood-only parts ;) :)

But today I just wanted to look around, so I got a few things I could by hand/with keys. A new dual cup holder for the '93 Coupe (since I kinda broke the origanal) and the light lens covers for the doors from that Fleetwood....

check it out... I like it so much more, little things like this kinda add more to the interior of the car:

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the stockers were just the crest, since the DeVille didn't have the wreath in '79... the Fleetwood had the wreath (also on steering wheel, trunk etc...) so I wanted them. Just like I put a brand new 80's Brougham hood ornament on my car... really nice, with the wreath, the stock DeVille is just the big crest...ugly.

You have the squares because you have the wreath and crest above the arm rest but under the handle... I do agree, kinda ugly...

try to find a '77-'79 DeVille, not sure about '80+ or when they made the switch. The DeVille will have only the crest, like my first pic, the Fleetwoods are the ones with the wreaths as well.

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Oh man, next time I'm at the yunk yard, I'm stealing a whole crap-load of those wreaths and going crazy! Already got 'em on my mirrors! Thanks for the idea RIck!

·
Registered
81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8
230 Posts
Night Wolf said:
Yeah, the stockers were just the crest, since the DeVille didn't have the wreath in '79... the Fleetwood had the wreath (also on steering wheel, trunk etc...) so I wanted them. Just like I put a brand new 80's Brougham hood ornament on my car... really nice, with the wreath, the stock DeVille is just the big crest...ugly.

You have the squares because you have the wreath and crest above the arm rest but under the handle... I do agree, kinda ugly...

try to find a '77-'79 DeVille, not sure about '80+ or when they made the switch. The DeVille will have only the crest, like my first pic, the Fleetwoods are the ones with the wreaths as well.
You got the old Crest hood ordament? Is it nice? Want to sell?

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
On the mirrors? Really? No offense but I was never a fan of that. I've seen it done a few times.... I put them on the locks though, I love that look.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
None taken. I was considering either the mirrors or the locks, and I finally picked the mirrors by the logic she'd be getting a paint job someday and it would be something else to remove and re-glue. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the chrome door edging? I like the light antelope I have now, but the chrome would probably look good too!

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
My old 78 Fleetwood Brougham had the wreath and crest on the lights. Those were sure cool. Maybe I'll try to hunt that car down if it hasn't already been crushed and find some way to get them into my 75's doors when I eventually redo the whole interior.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Hi,

The wreath and crest door courtesy light lens was on all Fleetwood models from 1977 through 1980. From 1981 on, the Fleetwood Brougham Sedan door panel had the wreath and crest below the door pull so it was eliminated from the lens. The Fleetwood Brougham Coupe models from 1981-1985 had the wreath and crest on the lens since they did not have it on the door panel like the sedans.

I have both a Fleetwood and a deVille and I really like the Fleetwood with the wreath and crests yet I also like the classic wreath-less hood ornament and the bold "V" with the crest on the trunk on the deVille. Both are totally Cadillac. When I purchased the 1979 deVille it had the wreath and crest hood ornament and I immediately replaced it with a plain crest bought on eBay. Everyone is different and it's fun to make our cars look the way we want them to our eyes.

Dave

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LaneWvr said:
You got the old Crest hood ordament? Is it nice? Want to sell?
It is just the crest, no wreath, and the crest is bigger then the crest with the wreath. It isn't new.... 28 years old, driver condition...

I wasn't really looking to sell it... for the whole $20 I would get for it, if that... I may as well keep it since it is origanal to the car.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DopeStar 156 said:
On the mirrors? Really? No offense but I was never a fan of that. I've seen it done a few times.... I put them on the locks though, I love that look.
I personally don't like them on the mirror either...

Also at the junkyard I removed 2 (faded) gold wreaths around the door locks and added them to the '93 Coupe.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bro-Ham said:
Hi,
The wreath and crest door courtesy light lens was on all Fleetwood models from 1977 through 1980. From 1981 on, the Fleetwood Brougham Sedan door panel had the wreath and crest below the door pull so it was eliminated from the lens. The Fleetwood Brougham Coupe models from 1981-1985 had the wreath and crest on the lens since they did not have it on the door panel like the sedans.
I have both a Fleetwood and a deVille and I really like the Fleetwood with the wreath and crests yet I also like the classic wreath-less hood ornament and the bold "V" with the crest on the trunk on the deVille. Both are totally Cadillac. When I purchased the 1979 deVille it had the wreath and crest hood ornament and I immediately replaced it with a plain crest bought on eBay. Everyone is different and it's fun to make our cars look the way we want them to our eyes.
Dave
Oh yeah, I love the \/ too... which is why it is staying on the trunk and the steering wheel.

But the crest just looked plain on the front of the car... same with the light lens, so I added the ones with the wreath.... I guess since both of these didn't have a wreath or a \/, then it didn't matter to me.

None taken. I was considering either the mirrors or the locks, and I finally picked the mirrors by the logic she'd be getting a paint job someday and it would be something else to remove and re-glue. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the chrome door edging? I like the light antelope I have now, but the chrome would probably look good too!
I know on my Olds and '79 it was a factory option, on the '93 they are body color.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
90Brougham350 said:
The car came like that actually, those chrome door edge guards were standard equipment on the Broughams. I think they started painting them in 1990 or 1991 because my ex's 91 DeVille has the door edge guards but they're painted to match the body. Hit up a junkyard and pull the chrome ones off a late 80's Brougham. The things have done their job a buncha times I wasn't paying attention and just flung a door open.

·
Registered
even others in Caddy's hate my Lac's hahaha sissy fools
117 Posts
90Brougham350 said:
Oh man, next time I'm at the yunk yard, I'm stealing a whole crap-load of those wreaths and going crazy! Already got 'em on my mirrors! Thanks for the idea RIck!

I think if you were to find a crest to fit inside the wreath, that'd be a nice combination... Without the crest, it kinda looks "hollow"

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I went back today.....

I am going back tomorrow too :)

That '79 Fleetwood... I really want that alumnum hood... but upon closer inspection, there are quite a few little dents on the hood, like you were dropping golf balls on it or something.... I dunno, that and the fact that I really don't have the means to transport it or store it... PLUS, when I asked a body shop todya he said about $350 to paint it! That is with me supplying a perfect color match base coat also.

I really wanted the chrome trim that goes on the rockers and the back.... but it is kinda rough... the passenger side on the fender is bent, and because of the way they sit cars ontop of wheels, the rear left trim piece on the quarter panel is bent up alot.... plus, upon looking at it, I would have to drill into the body to mount the clips and stuff... I really don't want to do that.

I am going to see if 80's Brougham trim will fit the '79.... I know in front of the wheel it wont, but the rest may... if it does I'll pull the trim off one of the good cars there, otherwise forget it.

There is a '91 Sedan DeVille there with a pretty good front hit, yet the interior is like new... I mean the feel of the leather/vinyl just seems 2 years old, moving the light switch and stuff gives a nice firm click etc... so tomorrow I am going back to take the digital instrument panel, the fuel data center and the electronic climate control, as well as light switches and stuff... I want spares for my DeVille, plus I want a good digital cluster... I may do the swap, but I just want one.

There is a '92 Fleetwood there (FWD) I didn't have my Torx with me today, but I am going to get the dash trim, which is in really nice shape (real wood) only thing is the trim for the radio is missing (since the radio is gone)

Today was decent... spent $30, but ah well... I got the chrome trim piece on the left part of the FWD DeVille bumper, since my car got hit awhile back and bent it all up, now I have a new one, I polished it up, looks nice.

Then off that '79 Fleetwood I took both opra lamps... decent shape, but hell, the car is nearly 30 years old, spares are great to have. Same as mine, mine have a few more cracks but atleast I have spares. These are the nice kind that use little light bulbs and not the electroluminescent stuff.

Then, anyone familer with '77-'79 DeVilles know the '78 and '79 have orange colored parking light lens in the front of the car. Isn't the popular thing today with kids to put clear lens in? Well, '77 was the only year where the parking lights were clear lens and they used yellow bulbs.

I am going to put them in my car and see if I like the look or not. I am going to buy Sylvania Silver Start turn singal bulbs. Why? the blub itself has a blueish tint when off, yet it lights up amber! That is cool, so I'll put them in and see if I like it. There is another '77 there with the clear lights as well...if anyone is interested.... They were yellow and hazy, but Meguires Plastix cleaned them right up nice, in the one picture you can see 1 like it was before then the other after I cleaned it.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Night Wolf said:
Oh yeah, I love the \/ too... which is why it is staying on the trunk and the steering wheel.
But the crest just looked plain on the front of the car... same with the light lens, so I added the ones with the wreath.... I guess since both of these didn't have a wreath or a \/, then it didn't matter to me.
Have you ever concidered making a custom crest and \/ hood orniment? I'm sure it could be done if you took two C pillar \/'s or two trunk \/'s, cut a 90 degree lip in the middle and fit them around the bottom of the old crest, then welded them in place? Here's a diagram....

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
The craziest idea I've had for a hood ornament would be using 2 large wreaths and 2 crests, both from the trunk. Slot out the middle of the wreaths and then weld the ornament together. Drill a tiny (like 5/65th) hole in the very tip of each side of the wreath, and up through the middle of the post. Mount the ornament and hook it up to a tank of propane or butane under the hood. I don't know how you could spark it on the go, but cruising downtown on a Saturday night in the middle of summer with a huge hood ornament flaming a bright blue, I think it'd be pretty cool. Then again, I'm pretty loony.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts