Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally gotten around to documenting some of the more subtle modifications I have made this summer. Most of you are familiar with the disc brake deal so I will skip it here. These are just some simple things that I have done to freshen up the "Touring Sedan" and make it appear more like the factory piece that SHOULD have been built.

First is the "Touring Sedan" dash emblem that replaces the gearshift indicator for the column shifter. There is a gear indicator on the console next to that shifter.

I have removed the fabric from BOTH of the A-pillar covers. The fabric just had too much trouble following the compound curves of the gauges for a consistent professional look. I color matched it to the right side/interior panels. It was kind of interesting that the right side was already in the correct color UNDER the factory fabric.

I went ahead and installed daytime running lights in the "extra" inboard positions of the front light panels. This keeps me from having to turn on lights in misty rain where the sentinel does not think it appropriate for extra light. I have them set to be on whenever the car power is on. You may also notice that I removed the hood ornament and placed it into the grille.

This picture shows how the glovebox has to be modified for the console. I took 2 gloveboxes and used the ends to fabricate the seam that you see here. Remember that the trunk and traction control buttons have been relocated to the console storage compartment.

They are much easier to get to here also.

At the rear of the car, I have installed a Cadillac 5.7L engine ID tag and the trunk lock cover from the 91-92 Touring Sedan. I don't know if this was the only color available, but it was the only color I needed.

In the back deck I installed a dedicated DVD player that can output to the navigation screen. I also wired the sound into the stereo system. I still need to add monitors for the back seat, but for now they can look up front. This unit has a remote control so position is not a problem as long as you have the disc loaded.

...and finally, I covered up the Corvette designation on the fuel rail covers with something more appropriate. I also added some stainless inserts to the depressions in the valve covers and some stainless washers. I will need to coat the strip somehow later on as it appears like the factory piece does not agree so well with the heat... we'll see.

I hope ya'll like what I have done here. Did I mention how much I like NOT making car payments? :D

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Wow.... Great car..... I was just adminiring it on your website......

Id be interested to hear how you did the floor shifter thing...... I really like the way the engine looks...... Where did you get those cadillac silver things that are on the engine.......?

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Looks good, Bill!!
I'm not too crazy about many of the newer Cads but I sure do like those mid 90's Fleetwoods. :2thumbs:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Im just curious how long you think the car is gonna hold up...... I mean, 283k, its gonna die sometime isnt it??? you gotta have feelings on how much life is left in it!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pods are still available. Just buy the ones for the Impala SS from Jegs,Summit, or Dakota Digital.

The fuel rail cover strips are simply front door sills from the Fleetwood, cut down and shaped on the ends.

The engine badge is from the 92 RWD Fleetwood.

The "3" has always been on the hitch cover... It always will be.

...and Wes, I don't really worry about it. This ain't no H*nda.

As proof, here is the trophy for my 2nd place finish in the Souther Super Heavy Shootout run yesterday in Atlanta... about 300 miles south of my home in Winston.

I do plan on replacing the distributer cap at 300,000 miles whether it needs it or not :D

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Yeah, a little preventative maintenace..... I think you've gotten your moneys worth.......

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Bill.. You do some seriously nice work.. How much would you charge me to hook me up with a center-console like yours? Parts and labor?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Wow, all you guys with the Fleetwoods are doing one hell of a job with them, converting it to a standard, floor shift, making them super fast sleepers etc....

I love ALL those things you added....they fit soo nice and look great, that consol is perfect, I like the GPS... What made you get rid of the hood ornament...sure it gives it a more "sporty" look, but IMO a car such as the FW needs to have it on the hood, plus I know when I am driving, I love to see the gold wreath and crest leading the way..... or as one of my friends put it, "Hey look, its a pointer so you have perfect aim to run people over and hit things" <--- LOL

Also, I can not believe your car has 250k miles on it....that is crazy, is it all the origanal engine/tranny? how did you get so many miles in (realitivly speaking) such a short time? Also, what is pushing you to keep modding such a high millage car? does the chassis feel worn and played out? Just wondering for my own personal refernce.

Someday I would like to get a '87-'89 Brougham and if I have alot of money, put a 500 in it, if I don't have much money, drop a SBC in there, then mod the hell outta it either way and do some subtle custom interrior updates, make one hell of a sleeper too..... actually my mothers car would be the perfect canidate, but she is probally gonna drive it til' it dies, and it is already showing many sighs of wear and tear and it'll only get worse..... but these things are cheap enough as it is.... just gotta wait and see.

Great job!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sal,

I couldn't even begin to guess what it would cost to do this console thing again. I spent months getting it right. Hell, just gathering the parts took forever. I do have an extra maroon console if you need one, but make no mistake... this is a big job. You have to cut the seat down, cut the glovebox down, and fabricate a new shifting mechanism, and then make it all fit. I would say that you can't afford for me to build one, but I'm scared that maybe you can ;)

Nightwolf,

I got rid of the hood ornament in keeping with the Touring Sedan tradition. I am actually at 283,000 miles now and this is the original engine that has never had any sort of repair done to it beyond the water pump. It even has the original starter, alternator, and distributer cap. The transmission has been replaced but that's it. The suspension is just as tight as when it was new and there are no squeaks or rattles in this car.

A couple summers ago, I even drove the car to the Arlington Assembly plant so that I could personally shake the hands of the guys who built this thing.

B'CTSAMG,

Next time in ATL, I'll let you know I'm on the way... Very cool ride you got there, what will you do when the V8 comes out next month???

·
Registered
7 Posts
By looking these pics I`d say that this Fleetwood has something like 50 000 miles on it.Really, it`s in great shape. And the engine looks great too..BTW, have you ever thought to install eg.aluminium heads to get even more hp/torque..? Ist the camshaft original? And what type of clutch you`ve used?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bernie,

Glad too hear from you... hope you are keeping warm in the land of 10,000 lakes. There is no clutch in this one... it is still an automatic transmission, just shifted from the floor. The cam is stock as well as the heads. I have a new cam ready to go in but I will need a higher stall torque converter to use it properly.

I have seen several sources state that more power can be had by modifying the iron heads over what can be done by swapping aluminum heads. Even stock, the iron heads flow more than the aluminum parts. I figure a good port, polish, and gasket matching with the intake will make enough of a difference.

I will get more serious about that when she rolls the big 300,000 miles. (500,000 km +/-)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nothing important added here, just wanted to say I really appreciate what you have done to the FW; when I get mine (my plan is to get a 96 or 95 by Spring), I know what standard I have to aim for, and it won't be easy!

Paul

96 SLS
93 Sdn de V

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
Hey Bill. What car is the center console from? I wanna know so i could start searching for it now, Before I buy the car. Did the wood and shifter come with it or is it from the same type of car also?

BTW beautiful car. FW's like yours make me wanna get into debt right now and get mine.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts