Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: the electrical problems continue with my 87 brougham. Nothing electic will work it used to only happen when I drove it for about an hour or more the lights would dim climate control would go out etc. But now lights are dim and nothing works sitting in my driveway I put another alternator in it just to be sure cause the last one was used and I took care of the load that was killing my battery (auto level thanks to all who responded!!) I'm a good mechanic but the electrical system....thats something else.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
PLEASE HELP WHAT DO I CHECK!!!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
That is without doubt the dumbest place for the fuse box.
Does the car run? Do you have headlights, break lights?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok the car will idle here are the details of what it does
at idle all lights are dim headlights tail interior etc
if I rev it up they get worse:banghead: and the climate controle flickers on and off
I have to jump it to start it but the alternator wont charge the battery(wich is new) And I cant find any burnt up wires or conectors under the hood dosent meen they dont exist But if thy do I cant find them

any help is greatly appreciated its my only car and I'm getting preasure to replace it and I dont want to thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do you have a test lamp and a volt meter?
See what voltage you are getting at the battery with the car running. should be between 14 and 15 volts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not have a voltmeter but I dont imagine it has any volts as ten seconds after shutting the car off there is not enough power to start it again rarely enough to power the idiiot lights on the dash past one crank attempt

·
Registered
201 Posts
can you rig up some sort of test light?

If you can hook it between the neg. battery post and the disconnected ground cable. If the light comes on ther is a short.

I think you'll find this to be the case. If so .........Remove each fuse until the light goes out. That will be the circuit to check for the short.

·
Registered
201 Posts
While your at it...........check all your ground connections. I've had these sort of problems on other cars, and found loose ground connections at the starter.

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,172 Posts
If you follow the positive (+) batter cable from the batter up towards the fire wall of the car, there is a small red box marked 'Batter', or '+', something like that. Open that little box up and see if the nut is tight and make sure the terminals are clean. This box is on top of the driver's side wheel well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
Not for nothin', but have you checked your ground? SO many problems stem from a bad ground it's not funny, and it's commonly overlooked. Get a volt/ohm meter, put one terminal on the negative terminal, and another terminal on the alternator case. See what kind of impedance you get. It should be zero. My Torino was doing the same thing and I had 20 ohms of resistance on my ground. $4 new ground wire and the car runs fine now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts