Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in July I posted the following message regarding problems with our 2006 CTS. After several months of fighting with our dealer and Cadillac customer service, GM finally bought back our lemon of a Caddie and replaced it with an identical new one. It was bought back with 3000 miles on it and our dealer as well as the area service manager even once they agreed to buy it back still felt there was nothing wrong with the car. However, they flagged it to be sent back to the factory to be examined/tested to see if there was actually a problem instead of sending it to auction.

July message:
Has anyone seen experiencing any problems with their '06 CTS? Our CTS only has 650 miles and has broken down twice. The first time, the car shut off going 55 mph, lost all electronics and power steering/brakes, couldn't even open the windows. The shop had it for 1 1/2 weeks. They replaced the fuel pumps and a fitting that a service bulletin has been issued for. Then, last night it did it again. We did not lose the electronics this time, but it died while going 65-70 mph and would not start again. We waited over 2 hours for a tow truck from Cadillac Roadside Assistance and ended up hiring our own. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ironically, we received a letter in the mail a couple of days ago stating the following recall:
"A small number of 2006 model year Cadillac CTS owners have experienced a condition where fuel stopped flowing to the engine even though the fuel gauge showed approximately 1/8 tank of gas in the vehicle. The "Fuel Level Low" indicator did not illuminate and the warning chime did not activate.

A software calibration change to correct this condition should be available for your vehicle in April. As soon as the correction is available, we will notify you. Your dealer will repair your vehicle at no charge.

This condition does not occur every time the tank reaches 1/8 or less and most drivers will never experience it, but to avoid greater inconvenience, we recommend that you not let your fuel level fall below 1/4 tank until your vehicle is updated."

This is almost word for word what I had sent in a letter to Cadillac in Detroit earlier in the summer. Needless to say, until we get our replacement CTS updated, we will not be letting it run below 1/4 tank.

Now, we have a whole other problem with our replacement CTS that now has 2500 miles on it. I had been reading the forum the other night and saw several posts regarding the rear differential. The next morning I noticed a small spot of fluid on the garage floor about where the rear differential would have been sitting that wasn't there before. We had a mechanic look at the car and sure enough, the rear differential is leaking. It will be going back to the dealership next week. We will update this once we find out what is going on, but in the meantime you may want to crawl under and check this or have your mechanic check this just to be safe.

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Wow i dont know what to say, if i were you i would fight and make sure GM supplied me with another car.

My car is an 06, and now the dam differential fluid is leaking in my driveway.
O yea it only has 500 miles on it

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Geez, I feel fortunate. My '04 which I bought new has 23,000 miles on it. Other than a faulty steering sensor the car has been perfect. The car has a Volant and the V exhaust and at times I drive it aggressively. It's been a fun car for me.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Wow. Fuel cutting out that sucks. Like i've said a hundred times, problems are disproportionate here because of one of this forums' purpose, to help people solve problems.

11,600 miles and no problems here

·
Registered
100 Posts
no problems with mine

·
Registered
114 Posts
Any idea is there is a way to see if you suffer from this without running the car below 1/8 of a tank?

I rarely let my cars get below half, but there are times that I push it and go below 1/4. I'd hate to have this happen to me on the highway.

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
well with a new car you really dont have to worry, but yes the fuel pump does get hotter when you keep running it on low fuel, since the more fuel helps cool it down

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got the same letter, but no problems ever. It's a joke around here bacuse I usually run my cars down to an empty tank, but now I try to keep a 1/4 tank anyways (better for the pump, and much better for controlling moisture in the fuel system in the wintertime.)

I had to get the rear pinion seal replaced after about two months; it was weeping a little bit of fluid just like you describe. no big deal, the dealership will fix it right up if they have the seal in stock, and NO it won't cause any damage to anything to lose a few drops of fluid. Same thing has happened on other RWD vehicles I've owned so I knew exactly what it was.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
33K on my 04, haven't run into this problem. I reguraly run mine down to the last couple gallons (my work territory is only 20 miles square with plenty of access). I usually don't fill until the car indicates that fuel is low which is about 2 gallons from the bottom according to the amount consumed gage on the head unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts