Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
00' sts
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im on my 3rd caddy and i have a feeling it may be my last. i, unfortunately, do not have the option to by new as i cannot afford it. however, i just do not like any other cars beside lux/perf cars, thus ive purchased 3 used caddies all of which have had problems. after taking my cars to numerous shops (private and gm cert), they have all told me to get rid of it, or that these have problems and always suggest getting something like....toyota/lexus, honda/acura, bmw, mercedes. problem is, i still love caddy styling and dont like honda, or toyota. i cant stand most bimers or mercs, and the acuras are just not my style. only cars ive even considered lately are lexus, but i would be forced to consider something pre-owned.

my car....2000 sts

problem 1. i had a massive coolant leak; luckily i traced it down to a hole in my surge tank/reserve. i replaced this for 50 bucks and solved the problem! however, im still smelling burning coolant and not seeing leaks. car's not over heating and runs ok

problem 2. i have the notorious oil leak which thirsts for about a quart per month, on average.

problem 3. something's wrong with my suspension, i just know it. its spongy and soft and i get tons of body roll/sway on freeway bumps

problem 4. i need new tires, and at least one new wheel. i also need new brakes

problem 5. my car has had a problem with idling rough since i bought her 4 yrs ago and still has a hard shift every once and awhile

i have 120k on the car (2000 sts) and just fixed the fuel pump. i have yet to replace the alternator as well. a few problems i can deal with, but if i have more major mechanical failure and with the dreaded h.g. failure looming somewhere in the future im not sure if i want to keep this thing. OR, even consider another cadillac given prior history of this and my others.

only caddies i would consider are newer sts's and possibly an 08 cts if i could find a preowned one for a reasonable price

my question is, how loyal should i be to my caddy now? or should i finally make the leap and give the lexus a try?

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
From a reliability standpoint, any FWD Northstar Deville, DTS, Seville, or Eldorado is junk.

I wouldn't give up on Cadillac, but I personally would never buy any FWD Northstar Caddy(even the newer 2000-05 Deville, or 06+ DTS) after reading the horror stories on this board.

If you are on a sub $10k budget, these are great, problem free, reliable Cadillacs:

90-92 RWD Brougham- find one with the 350 TBI chevy, the 305 TBI Chevy/307 carbed Olds are really slow, but still bulletproof. Buy one from a southern state, rust can be a problem on these older Caddys.

93-96 RWD Fleetwood- 94-96 have the 260hp LT1 V8, 93 was still the 350 TBI. Check for on time transmission services in any RWD Caddy. They tend to fail at 120-150k miles in a well maintained unit, expect less life out of one that never had the fluid changed. Any RWD Cadillac is very easy to service and you can pick up parts for dirt cheap at your local NAPA

2002-2006 Escalade/Escalade EXT/Escalade ESV- pretty much a gussied up Tahoe/Avalanche/Suburban, for better or worse. Still uses the same platform as the Tahoe, and is very reliable. Gas mileage is horrific with the AWD 6.0 V8 models though.

91-93 FWD Deville/Fleetwood- The 4.9 V8 is very reliable, the electronics on this generation are also pretty solid

94-95 FWD Deville- Make sure its a base model. Concours Devilles came with the Northstar. Once again, the 4.9 V8 in the base models are bullet proof.

If you have 10-20k to spend:

2003-2007 CTS:
Pretty reliable, no major defects. Kind of cheap looking interior, but I love the exterior styling. Great handling as well.

2004-2007 CTS-V:
Balls to the wall V8 performance. They were only offered with a six speed manual transmission. Two engines were offered, the LS6(earlier years) and the LS2(later years), both offered around 400hp. The weak link is the rear end, which was very fragile and failure prone if the cars were subjected to clutch dumps, burnouts, or even driven at WOT.

2005-2008 STS:
Complete redesign of the Northstar V8 to mount it in a RWD chassis. Never heard of a single bad headgasket. Northstar models are pretty quick as well. Much nicer interior than the CTS.

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Well honestly besides your oil leak, everything else is routine maintnance. Tires and brakes simply wear out, the suspension on these cars tend to go out around 100K, and the rough idle can from a few easy to change parts (plugs, egr valve, plenum, MAF sensor, throttle body gunked up, IAC valve etc). All these parts besides the shocks, can be found fairly cheap on ebay, or rockauto.com and like I said are pretty easy to change. I would have your coolant pressure checked to make sure you dont have any headgasket issues and if you dont, just take your time and fix it one problem at a time. If you dont have the cash for new tires, try shopping for a great set of gently used tires on your local craigslist or used tire shops. As far as the shocks go, try Arnott. They offer a replacement shock for our cars for a fraction of the cost of OEM. Goodluck. Oh and P.S. Lexus is made by Toyota.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe
821 Posts
Northstars are fine engines.
A shame so many fools don't maintain them right, and end up on here pissing & moaning when crap breaks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
Well honestly besides your oil leak, everything else is routine maintnance. Tires and brakes simply wear out, the suspension on these cars tend to go out around 100K, and the rough idle can from a few easy to change parts (plugs, egr valve, plenum, MAF sensor, throttle body gunked up, IAC valve etc). All these parts besides the shocks, can be found fairly cheap on ebay, or rockauto.com and like I said are pretty easy to change. I would have your coolant pressure checked to make sure you dont have any headgasket issues and if you dont, just take your time and fix it one problem at a time. If you dont have the cash for new tires, try shopping for a great set of gently used tires on your local craigslist or used tire shops. As far as the shocks go, try Arnott. They offer a replacement shock for our cars for a fraction of the cost of OEM. Goodluck. Oh and P.S. Lexus is made by Toyota.
:yeah:

·
Registered
2000 STS
54 Posts
GUST 1980 I have a 2000 STS I have had it for a year and had to replace the coil pack the whole suspension all the bushings for the suspension, motor mounts rear bumper cover tail lights lower crankcase replaced power steering and transmission. which cost me about ten grand plus I bought the car for 5,000 total 15,000 the car brand new was 52,000 but you know what I now have a sick a$$ car. the only thing left is to replace the motor,my car has 160,000 miles on it and she still runs like a champ. I look at it this way yes I spent over 10,000 on my car but now my car is brand new and I have the car I love. this is my first Cadillac I have ever owned and I am in love with her. I also spent about 200 on the detail job on my paint and interior. I look at it this way you already have the car no payments.Why buy another used car all you will be doing is buying somone elses problems and be in the same boat again. I had a 2004 Dodge Ram four door fully loaded and I had to replace all kind of stuff on that truck plus I had a 600 dollar payment on top of fixing that truck. granted I loved that truck but when it was stolen I found this 2000 STS and been happier than a pig in Sh**. don't give up on her you treat her well and you will get the love back when people look at your car and say dam that is a nice caddie for being 10years old. I get compliments all the time My caddie is black on black 20' and blacked out taillights. Like I said before do not give up on her. :)

·
Registered
00' sts
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guys, for what its worth....

test drove some lexus's today and...... wasnt as happy or impressed as i had expected. the cars were built nice and looked nice, but i just could not get comfortable! the seats didnt conform to me like i wanted and both knees were rubbing on the door and center console in a way that bugged me instantly. got back into my car and felt at home; interior of my sts is soooo comfortable. there are no hard surfaces anywhere and my knees never get sore.

on the other hand, i jumped into this car and didnt get the best deal. long story short, i still owe 4000 on this car!

i am in no way complaining about the normal maintanence on the car but at this point its just insult to injury and then i have to worry about the hg and suspension. not to mention the plethora of minor cosmetic work that needs to be addressed.

either way, im still on the fence. i definitely will not get involved in another car if i do not like it and i still 'like' my car. still considering newer caddies though

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
Gust, just keep in mind that by now you know your car. You know what it is and what it can be. I have always had a love for Cadillacs. Either my father or grandfather has had one in the family for most of my life and now I'm the one riding in style. Think about the number of people on here that you see them talking about problems with their car, whether it be something minor or major, and then think about the number of these cars that Cadillac produced and how many are still on the road. Any car is eventually going to have some issues of some kind. I just cannot foresee getting rid of my Eldorado any time soon. I love it. I haven't found anything yet that can match the style, comfort, and performance of these cars and not absolutely cost you a fortune. I have had my ETC for 9 months now and have not had a minutes problem out of her in almost 14,000 miles. I know the STS is discouraging right now but how much will you miss it if you let it go?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts