Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahh .. more fun with my '92. Hopped in this morning (dark outside) - started her up - the headlights came on - the tail lights came on - the dashboard was black as it could be (analog).

Turned off the twilight feature, pulled out the knob for the lights and the dashlights came on - for about .5 second - then went out - repeated this process a few times and - at long last - the dashlights came on.

Stopped for a cup of coffee for the drive in - came out - started 'er up - turned on the lights and everything was hunky-dorey. Decided to experiment so I turned on the twilight switch and pushed the light switch back in - all lights (including the dash) stayed lit.

I this common? Perhaps my twilight sensor (although the outside lights worked fine) - perhaps the switch?

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome to the wild world of Cadillac, full of brilliantly designed features, abysmally executed. IMHO, Cadillac has done more for Lexus sales than any advertising could aspire to. I've had my POS for eight years, put only 21K miles on it, and have spent more on this money pit than any car ever considering the few miles I've put on it. There are other opinions but they are wrong.

·
Registered
878 Posts
DFBonnett said:
Welcome to the wild world of Cadillac, full of brilliantly designed features, abysmally executed. IMHO, Cadillac has done more for Lexus sales than any advertising could aspire to. I've had my POS for eight years, put only 21K miles on it, and have spent more on this money pit than any car ever considering the few miles I've put on it. There are other opinions but they are wrong.
Yeah, I guess I'm wrong. You'll forgive me, I hope, if I ask why you've had that POS for eight whole entire years now? Strangely, I've not sufferred more than normal maintenance experiences.

OTOH, I don't drive in the rain with the sunroof open. I don't drive through 2 foot deep "puddles." I change the oil frequently. Ditto the coolant fluid. I lube the chassis on occasion. Every 50K miles or so I change the tranny fluid. You know, that sort of stuff.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
OK, back on to this threads main topic. I think its your dimming switch going bad (the little knob that you pull out to turn the lights on). I doubt that its really hard to replace, but I have no clue how much a new one would cost.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm ... thanks for the advice on the switch - that was my main suspect - I'll pull it apart over the weekend and try to figure out what's wrong with it.

As for the Lexus comments - why tolerate an imitation - buy a REAL Mercedes rather than an oriental clone -

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
298 Posts
WarrenJ said:
Yeah, I guess I'm wrong. You'll forgive me, I hope, if I ask why you've had that POS for eight whole entire years now? Strangely, I've not sufferred more than normal maintenance experiences.

OTOH, I don't drive in the rain with the sunroof open. I don't drive through 2 foot deep "puddles." I change the oil frequently. Ditto the coolant fluid. I lube the chassis on occasion. Every 50K miles or so I change the tranny fluid. You know, that sort of stuff.

Regards,
Warren
Yes, you are wrong. Truth be told I've kept it because it belonged to my wife's late father and she wishes me to keep it. In response to your second snide paragraph, I don't drive through "puddles" either. I adhere to a rigorous maintenance schedule. It doesn't help. My judgement that the cars are overengineered and underbuilt stands.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I guess a thumbs up is in order. I noticed that when the left turn signals worked correctly the dash lights all worked correctly as well, but when it was behaving like a bulb was burned out (blinking real fast) the dash lights were an on-again off-again affair - so.
I pulled the offending bulb - it looked fine - I examined the base (the black plastic where the contacts protrued) - lo and behold the plastic was cracked.
I suspect that the bulb was shorting on occasion - wreaking havoc with the dashboard lights. I suspect this because after I installed a new 2057 everything worked - no fiddling around with the switch - as I write this the event has proven repeatable - something always needed for scientific proof - as the lights have worked without fault through seven on-off cycles.
Has anyone else run into something like this? I mean this could have been a very expensive and frustrating problem to chase down - if I hadn't noticed the crack in the plastic on the base of the darned bulb!

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
SteveThefolkie