Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
DTS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
afternoon boys!

so i recently fixed the rust on my 2008 DTS, came out PERFECT.

wednesday found pool of antifreeze under the car. ugh.

water pump replaced, and oil change with mobil one.

cost was $930. evidently my year cannot use the special GM tool to change the pump, he had to order more parts. local mechanic i trust, not the dealer.

dumb question:
is it time for me to trade in the car?
i did not like begging for 4 different rides while he kept it overnight.
i am original owner, 59,000 original miles, car is detailed, looks great, no rust, changed oil every 3-5000 with mobil one, did several oil analyses, changed radiator fluid twice, (now 3 times!), trans. fluid, brake and steer fluid twice. all maintenance done.

car is paid for. i like it, but i would be mad if the water pump broke on my last road trip to vermont!

any ideas?

THANKS!! have a great day!
PS. a young guy at work got a 2007 escalade he LOVES it. what a beast!

bob

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I traded my 2006 last year, but it had over 150,000 miles on it...
But, even with all that mileage, it still ran GREAT and used no oil at all.
In the almost 8 years I owned it, the only time a wrench was ever on the powertrain was the half case seal started leaking, but it was fixed under warranty.
Other than that, it was a pretty trouble free car...
I now have 2011 Platinum...

·
Registered
53 Posts
You know what you have if your a original owner. Most people get easy over 125,000. You should too. Water pump is not a big deal just a real hard job on the caddy.

·
Registered
DTS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS GUYS!! today will remove snow tires with my friend, a former mechanic. i am sure he will tell me also to keep it! the thing is, i really LIKE my car. wife has V6 Accord, great, but terrible ride!

thanks so much

bob

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bottom line, they make nothing like this wonderful car, and any replacement coming will be S class (Mercedes) priced. Enjoy your car, it's just getting broken in. And $ 1,000 water pump is a small price vs a new car!

·
Registered
DTS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANK YOU! my friend told me to keep the car, that ANY car could need a water pump, and the car has tons of life left. the water pump cost more ($800) because that model year could NOT use the special GM tool to remove, and he had to remove some other parts. parts from caddy were about $350. then his labor, and oil and filter change with mobil one synthetic as i requested.

thanks for your thoughtful comments! i am leaning towards keeping the car, i really like it!
best,
Bob

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Maunus...
Unless I am misreading your post, the problem getting a ride to somewhere 4 different times was more frustrating than having to replace the water pump...
If that is true... rent a car next time.. you can rent a small car for about 25 to 30 bucks a day... Then you don't have to ask anyone for a ride.
Just my 2 cents for whatever it may be worth...:)
Jim

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum
538 Posts
Water pump on my 2010 went out at 64k miles.. lucky I has warranty

·
Registered
DTS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to superjim: you are CORRECT. begging for a ride just killed me. never thought about renting a car! have a super day. bob. must be warmer in fort worth than here!!

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
to superjim: you are CORRECT. begging for a ride just killed me. never thought about renting a car! have a super day. bob. must be warmer in fort worth than here!!
It is 77 and sunshine here today Bob... A cool font came thru yesterday.. it was in the nid 80's before the front cam thru..:)
I have rented cars several times for various reason Bob.
I rented a 2006 Cadillac DTS in early Sept of 2005 and made a 2000 mile trip.
When I got back home I went and bought my first 2006 Performance Sedan...LOL

·
Registered
2008 DTS
107 Posts
I hope that you changed the heater hoses. The heater hoses on my 2008 DTS went at 66k. if you didn't change them, then you should. I also changed the rest of the hoses. you can drain some of the anti freeze and reuse it if you don't get dirt in it. or just replace what you loose when you take the heater hoses off. The heater hoses are special order.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
65 Posts
Interesting discussion. I just purchased a 2006 DTS with only 35k miles, and I was thinking about a radiator flush, or at the least, drain and refill. The owner's manual specifies 150k miles, or 5 years, whichever comes first. Most people miss that "5 years" part, and think their coolant is good for 150,000 miles.

"The heater hoses are special order"

I was looking on RockAuto, and their listings for heater hoses are rather ... ambiguous at best. Any way to figure out what to order, other than going to the dealer?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Interesting discussion. I just purchased a 2006 DTS with only 35k miles, and I was thinking about a radiator flush, or at the least, drain and refill. The owner's manual specifies 150k miles, or 5 years, whichever comes first. Most people miss that "5 years" part, and think their coolant is good for 150,000 miles.

"The heater hoses are special order"

I was looking on RockAuto, and their listings for heater hoses are rather ... ambiguous at best. Any way to figure out what to order, other than going to the dealer?
If the coolant has not been changed or if you don't know if it has been changed, I would definitely change it as soon as I could.

Can't help with the heater hoses except that when I traded my 2006 with over 150,000 miles on it, for the 2011, it still had the original heater hoses and the original serpentine belt on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts