Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2009 STS with the 18" wheel pkg--235/50/18 fronts and 255/45/18 rears. Car only has 29,500 miles--use an SUV in the winter. Car handles really well but I am looking for a little less handling and a more comfortable ride. Has anyone changed out a wheel/tire package for a softer ride? Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
:welcome::welcome:What Package do you have, the Tag under the spare tire cover has the RPO codes.
You are looking for 1S"X", X being the package you have, and NOT the 1SZ.
Have you selected Touring Vs. Performance on the Nav screen ?
"IF" you have MRC, Nothing has worked, Yet. :wtf:
I have 235 55's and it's still Stiff. "BUT"the car performs Excellently !
IF you have MRC, something could be malfunctioning.:golden:

·
Registered
2009 STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The code is 1SB and I do have MRC and set for touring. Ride is not uncomfortable just not like my last car. Last car was a DTS and I wanted a smaller sized car with more control, that's why I bought the STS. Now that I have the right sized car which handles really well, I was just looking for something a little softer (not as soft as the DTS). I was wondering if I changed to a smaller rim with something like a 205/65 or 215/65 tire if this would still allow the handling but with the softer ride.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
rjtjr said:
Thanks for the reply. The code is 1SB and I do have MRC and set for touring. Ride is not uncomfortable just not like my last car. Last car was a DTS and I wanted a smaller sized car with more control, that's why I bought the STS. Now that I have the right sized car which handles really well, I was just looking for something a little softer (not as soft as the DTS). I was wondering if I changed to a smaller rim with something like a 205/65 or 215/65 tire if this would still allow the handling but with the softer ride.
Impossible. Only 1SF and 1SG were available with magnetic ride selectable suspension.

Easy way to tell if you have the V6 you don't have magnetic ride. If you have a 1SB you don't have a V8. Magnetic ride was ONLY available with the V8.

·
Registered
2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry
390 Posts
OP went from a DTS to an STS. The ride is going to be stiffer, the platform is designed to give better control, with the trade of harder ride. I suspect the OP has a FE1, but how did he end up with staggered 18" ? Or, if true, is there a 1SB with 18" and FE5 ? I had that setup on my 07 CTS.

·
Registered
2009 STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I stand corrected. I do have the V6 and thought I had this with the Luxury pkg and reading the info in the owners manual. Either way, with or without I won't be touching the suspension system. Just don't know enough to be playing around with the original setups. Just thought that different tires could possibly make a difference without dramatically changing anything else. When Subsailor613 answered earlier, he changed to 235/55's but still had a stiff ride so I'm not sure rims and tires are my answer. Thanks for helping me get it straight.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
rjtjr said:
Thanks. I stand corrected. I do have the V6 and thought I had this with the Luxury pkg and reading the info in the owners manual. Either way, with or without I won't be touching the suspension system. Just don't know enough to be playing around with the original setups. Just thought that different tires could possibly make a difference without dramatically changing anything else. When Subsailor613 answered earlier, he changed to 235/55's but still had a stiff ride so I'm not sure rims and tires are my answer. Thanks for helping me get it straight.
Swap to 17"s and a softer sidewall tire and that will help.

·
Registered
2009 STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct--RPO tag lists FE1 no FE5. Don't remember whether the 18" were part of the luxury option or a separate option listed on the sticker. I knew there was a ride trade off when I took the car out and drove it. Just realized over time that it seemed like my Dad's CTS handled as well but had a softer ride, not soft but softer. I realize that it's all about personal taste and everyone has their own preferences, actually that's why I bought an STS instead of a CTS at the time.

----------

Swap to 17"s and a softer sidewall tire and that will help.
Thanks again. Any suggestion with what higher profile tires will fit without rubbing?

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
rjtjr said:
You are correct--RPO tag lists FE1 no FE5. Don't remember whether the 18" were part of the luxury option or a separate option listed on the sticker. I knew there was a ride trade off when I took the car out and drove it. Just realized over time that it seemed like my Dad's CTS handled as well but had a softer ride, not soft but softer. I realize that it's all about personal taste and everyone has their own preferences, actually that's why I bought an STS instead of a CTS at the time. ---------- Thanks again. Any suggestion with what higher profile tires will fit without rubbing?
I run Conti DWS. Great tire very soft sidewall. Very compliant.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
So you've got an 09 with about 30k miles on it. Likely you have the original Michelin tires. They are known to be rock hard. And also old tires like that will have a harder sidewall due to age alone. So if you get new tires of any kind your ride will likely get softer. I have the DWS and feel they are a bit too soft for my liking on my car but probably are just what you're looking for.

·
Registered
2009 STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you've got an 09 with about 30k miles on it. Likely you have the original Michelin tires. They are known to be rock hard. And also old tires like that will have a harder sidewall due to age alone. So if you get new tires of any kind your ride will likely get softer. I have the DWS and feel they are a bit too soft for my liking on my car but probably are just what you're looking for.
Thanks for your input. You are correct--original Michelins that came with the car. Didn't know about they were known to be harder. Looks like DWS will probably be my replacement tires.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac XTS, Former 09 STS and 07 CTS
222 Posts
on my first car was the original tires from 2003 and this was 2009 when I got the car and they where Michelins and they started to come apart the tread from the tire started to separate.

·
Registered
2009 STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
on my first car was the original tires from 2003 and this was 2009 when I got the car and they where Michelins and they started to come apart the tread from the tire started to separate.
Same happened to me before--Michelin tire rot due to age.

K

·
0 Posts
Michelin tires become dangerous after six years. Even Michelin says do not use a tire that is over six years old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts