Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

As per my old thread the thing would cut out with hard turns.

This time it did it as I was slowing down!

I had to apply a little harder brake than normal as I was in traffic slowing down for a red. As I slowed down to about 30-40kmh, it just died!

Any more suggestions?

Another problem:

If I'm waiting at a drive-thru window and I apply light pressure on the gas to inch up the engine accels a little, then sputters, then surges to get back up to idle. It will do this pattern repeatedly until I change the pressure on the gas.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
My best guess is that a cylinder(s) is missing, either because of a bad injector, or a bad spark plug, spark plug wire, or a combination thereof......

I dont really know, and dont want to say anything more about something i dont know too much about......

·
Registered
989 Posts
yeah, check the spark plugs and spark plug wires. My dad's car did that same thing and it turned out that he needed a new spark plug and new wire for cylinder #3. Just check all the spark plugs and all the wires.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MMNineInchNails said:
yeah, check the spark plugs and spark plug wires. My dad's car did that same thing and it turned out that he needed a new spark plug and new wire for cylinder #3. Just check all the spark plugs and all the wires.
I'm gonna try that, but doing the plugs on that thing is a nightmare. Is there any easier way to do it? But I'll definately look into the plugs.

Fuel Injector cleaner right? That thing ain't carburated!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Personally, I wouldnt use that Chevron Techron stuff to a half tank of gas, and run it till almost empty....... It cant hurt, and make sure you run it hard a few times, to run it through real well!!

I may also suggest running through some TOP ENGINE CLEANER.......

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am honestly beginning to think it's tune up related.

I just pulled code P044 which is 'Oxygen Sensor Reads Lean Exhaust'.

I'd say it's plug time!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Id say its o2 sensor time!!! If the plugs arent giving you any problems, i wouldnt mess with them, its not worth it!!!

I know for the Q45s, replacing old<er> o2 sensors will pay for themselves in 60k miles because of increased economy!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
elwesso said:
My best guess is that a cylinder(s) is missing, either because of a bad injector, or a bad spark plug, spark plug wire, or a combination thereof......

I dont really know, and dont want to say anything more about something i dont know too much about......

have someone check out the throttle position senser. MAL

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
TPS would also make sense.......

·
Registered
127 Posts
2dfx said:
I am honestly beginning to think it's tune up related.

I just pulled code P044 which is 'Oxygen Sensor Reads Lean Exhaust'.

I'd say it's plug time!
I got the same error on my old '91 S10 (i know, totally different vehicle and engine). Anyhow, replacing the O2 sensor fixed it - they're usually only $25 or so - and easier to change than the plugs!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine did that months ago; I was just coasting to a stop from about 40mph when this happened. But this hasn't happened since then so I did nothing about it. Although, the car continues to cut down power whenever there's 7 gallons or less fuel while making right turns. I was told by the dealer that this was normal for these cars. Really dangerous especially merging into a busy freeway.

2dfx said:
Hey!

As per my old thread the thing would cut out with hard turns.

This time it did it as I was slowing down!

I had to apply a little harder brake than normal as I was in traffic slowing down for a red. As I slowed down to about 30-40kmh, it just died!

Any more suggestions?

Another problem:

If I'm waiting at a drive-thru window and I apply light pressure on the gas to inch up the engine accels a little, then sputters, then surges to get back up to idle. It will do this pattern repeatedly until I change the pressure on the gas.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced the O2 sensor today as it needed replacing anyway.

My gas mileage has improved somewhat, but the hesitation is still there!!! I'm still stuck! I will try cleaning the Throttle body as per that other thread on hesitation!

PS - I happened to discover some soot around the tailpipe. Any indications?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
That is normal for any car without brand new exhaust...... If it is excessive, or you just cleaned it, then it could mean something (too rich).......

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
elwesso said:
That is normal for any car without brand new exhaust...... If it is excessive, or you just cleaned it, then it could mean something (too rich).......
That contrasts the old sensor reading of too lean...

Bloody Hell!!! I've just been driving the thing with the new sensor. I did have to remove the neg cable so the elec fan wouldnt start as I was removing the sensor.

Got P052 which is PCM Data Reset. No biggie, in 40mi it will recalculate the proper fuel curve.

It stalls at every [email protected]!!!! I slowed down to turn and thats where the strength comes in handy to turn that thing with no power steering. Never again.

Mind you it was also raining and it was damp. That may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2dfx said:
That contrasts the old sensor reading of too lean...

Bloody Hell!!! I've just been driving the thing with the new sensor. I did have to remove the neg cable so the elec fan wouldnt start as I was removing the sensor.

Got P052 which is PCM Data Reset. No biggie, in 40mi it will recalculate the proper fuel curve.

It stalls at every [email protected]!!!! I slowed down to turn and thats where the strength comes in handy to turn that thing with no power steering. Never again.

Mind you it was also raining and it was damp. That may have something to do with it.

I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but I think the car has a tendency to suffer from fuel starvation when it has less than half a tank. Normally when I have 7 gals or less the car cuts down on power when making a righthand turn. Yesterday, I had only about 5 gals of gas and it stalled when I come to a stop (in a straight line), especially if I stopped abruptly. My guess is that the tank may not have proper baffling to with not much fuel in the tank that when the fuel is sloshing around the pump is having a hard time picking it up. When I come to a stop not so abruptly the car nearly dies, coughs a bit, and recovers to normal idle level barely. I had to drive like this until I had like 3 gals and observed same phenomenon. I then went ahead and filled up the tank to full and the stall problem magically disappeared. What are your experiences guys?

·
Registered
1983 ElDorado
125 Posts
stalling at everylight in the rain?
almost sounds like bad plug wires? i remember a
old trick spraying down the plug wires at the distributer
with wd40 to displace moisture and it cured a stalling
problem for me till i could replace the wires
good luck :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts