Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm pissed right now... (rant on) I just replaced my factory struts with Monroe struts. I have been running 245 width tires with the factory suspension with absolutely no problems for a year. Now, I replace the struts, and apparently Monroe has a larger diameter strut. (rant off)

So, I need to get some spacers. Does anyone recommend a brand, or are spacers just spacers? Also, how thick should I go? I don't want to have to get longer lug bolts, and I don't want any rubbing with the wheel well. I was thinking 13 mm, which is about 1/2 inch. This will give me plenty of clearance of the struts, but I'm wondering if that is too thick for the oem lug bolts. Anyone?

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I'm sorry the Monroes don't fit. I use H&R 25mm spacers on the rear wheels with no wheel-well clearance issues. They fit perfectly even though they're listed for the Saab 9-3. These 5mm spacers will give you almost 2 inches extra space per side to clear each strut but you'll need longer bolts. They're sold separately. Are you using wider Sport wheels on a standard Catera or is your car a Sport?

I saw notes warning about using KYB struts on the Catera Sport but none about the Monroe Sensatracs. Obviously the warnings must be related to the wider Sport wheels. I'll add this warning to my list of suspension upgrades. I see no mention of using them on the front wheels. Pushing the wheels further out may put extra stress on the wheel bearings. I don't know your car's mileage but I'd change the bearings to be safe.

H&R Premium Quality Suspension Component - Trak+ Wheel Spacer.

Please check Bolt Pattern and Hub Center size before ordering ! For compatibility check and installation questions please call H&R support at (888) 827-8881.

Part No.: 1045650
Type : DR
Bolt Pattern : 5x110
Width, mm : 5
Center Bore : 65
Thread : 12x1.5
Bolt/Stud : Bolt
Notes : All DR Systems require longer wheel bolts. These must be purchased separately.
H&R TRAK+ wheel spacers move the wheel out from the hub, effectively widening the stance of the vehicle and lowering its roll center. This simple modification increases lateral stability, which in turn provides improved handling, greater safety and of course, the sleek style.

DR SERIES Features:

10 - 40 mm track widening.
This spacer is fitted between the wheel and hub, using longer wheel bolts (ordered separately).
Please check type of bolt head (taper or round and diameter) and shaft length before ordering.
Wheel Spacers are available as a set of 2.

NOTE: This site shows them to be out of stock. Shop around. They're pretty popular and should be available elsewhere.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
ECS Tuning sells bolts for our cars... they are 12x1.5mm and the length was 27mm I think, Ebay sells generic spacers which are 3mm which may give you just enough to clear them... you can order new 30mm bolts form teh site they run around 2.95$/bolt so it shouldnt be too bad... and I think that will fix it for ya.

A 5mm spacer from ECS is around 45$+shipping + Bolts so all together you can fix the problem for under 80$...

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, thanks for the information guys.

I'm gonna run over to the local auto parts store to see if they have anything first. I need my car back as soon as possible. I actually need it today, but can get by. I really just want to go as small of a spacer as possible to get enough clearance. Hopefully they have what I need. Our wheels are 5x115, right?

Elvin, these are just stock oem wheels, not sport.

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I've got some 5/16" spacers on and that was enough to clearance the struts. I'm just waiting on longer lug bolts right now.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Glad to hear it. Please report on the effects on handling or tire wear if any. My spacers are on the rear and I noted a tendency to turn in quicker when I first wrote about them but that was my initial impression. I've had them on for over a year now and I can't tell anymore. It's become normal and I don't want to take them off just to test my theory.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
ECStunning appears to no longer be selling saab parts so we are screwed, they had some of the cheapest H&R spacers, and bolts I can find... :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts