Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know this has been brought up before, but I want to see if anyone has any input to my circumstances. Brought the car in to the dealer in November for a moldy smell wheen the air conditioner is on. They said a mouse had gotten into the compartment where the cabin air filter is and was building a nest but had not gotten past the intake side if the filter. They changed the filter but the smell remained. Brought the car back and they give you an envelope to put your keys in and to write your info and comments on. Wrote that before I brought the car in I took out the filter examined it and it was clean and there was nothing in the compartment and I replaced the filter. They called me later and told me that they took out the filter examined it and it was clean and there was nothing in the comparment. Now I'm getting pissed because I told them that and we discussed deodorizing the system. I asked him if he did that and he said no. Blood pressures going up. Asked him if he could deodorize it and he said he'd try. Called me later and said he did it and come get the car. Still have the smell. Really disappointed that I have to live with that in a $50,000 car because in the words of the guy at the dealership "they all do that".My question is does anyone know of any TSB's on this or know of any info on the that came about after the last thread which was in November 2012.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4
394 Posts

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
^ Re the thread that somedaycts provided a link to above... I have updated that thread with info borrowed from the service manual on the procedure to enable Afterblow on the 2nd gen CTS. Direct link to specific post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/245176-afterblow-feature-functional-gimmick.html#post3219277

rchern, regarding the moldy smell in your HVAC system, your dealer should be referencing the following service docs:

1. Odor Correction document
2. TSB #99-01-39-004D: Air Conditioning Odor (Install Evaporator Core Dryer Kit and Apply Cooling Coil Coating) - (Aug 10, 2011)
3. Afterblow Enabling document (link to document text provided above)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I brought up that afterblow fix and the service dept guy told me that the fan runs for 20 minutes after the car is turned off. And that TSB, they obviously didn't look for it. I'm going to go see the service manager and try to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
Hi rchern - note that 'Afterblow' (i.e. if all conditions are met: automatic running of the HVAC blower for three (3) periods of 20 seconds each initiating 30 minutes after the car has been turned off) is not enabled when the car leaves the factory. It is something your dealer's service dept has to enable using a Scan Tool (e.g. Tech 2).
As info.. afterblow is not enabled on my '11 CTS4, however I plan to have it enabled the next time I have my car serviced.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me exactly how much clout a Technical Service Bulletin has? I know it's not a recall. If your car is experiencing the problems that the TSB is addressing can I make them perform it? When I brought the car in last time I told them that I heard about a procedure that would deodorize the evaporator core which sounds like the procedure in this TSB and they don't seem interested in doing anything about it. I get the feeling they don't want to do any warranty work. Also when I approach the service manager for the third time I want to be armed with all the information I can get. Also in the Afterblow enablingprocedure it says that the ambient air temperature has to be 70 degrees. Well, it's not going to be 70 degrees here for awhile but if i leave the HVAC in the auto position I get the smell.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
rchern, for your information & reference here's a link to TSB #99-01-39-004D, uploaded to my file sharing account at mediafire.com:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zox7brz194szcs4

During winter, when ambient temps are lower, I disable air conditioning (A/C) on my HVAC system, as most of the time during winter months I only need the cabin to be heated, not cooled or dehumidified. In disabling the air conditioner compressor the evaporator/heater core housing remains dry, therefore there's no odor generation. I temporarily switch the A/C back on during the winter at those times when I need to dehumidify the interior - generally when there's precipitation.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
If the dealer doesn't do the job, you might consider contacting Bactronix https://www.bactronix.com/ and see if you can have them correct the issue. Bactronix does treat vehicles. They're out of Pittsburgh. I don't know if they go as far as your location in NY, but you could always inquire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts