Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6 (Luxury Package)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I last made a post here.
I’ve had thoughts regarding modifying a CTS 3.6 and certain limitations regarding it. One of the things that makes me think about the most is this.
Hypothetically, let’s say I somehow get a 6-Speed Auto from a 2nd Gen CTS or any car that has the GM 6L50 Transmission. If I wanted to put that in my CTS, what would be things that I’d have to look out for?
I just want some advice or thoughts about that before I put it as a future thing to do when I can afford to do something as crazy as that.

PS: Hope everyone is doing good during this COVID-19 chaos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Switching to a different transmission will require fabrication to the car so that the new transmission can be mounted. This would be something that you would have to pay a shop to do and it'll cost a lot. Then there's wiring and tuning that will have to be done as well. The real weak points of the CTS's is the rear differential and the timing chain. I'd make all rubber bushings and fluids are all new or at least good. I'd replace the timing chain as that is the #1 cause of death which is likely to happen at 100k miles. If you add over 100 HP, then the transmission will not last too long and you could replace your future blown transmission with the same exact one which is much less costly and much easier to do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts