Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Will you mod your CTS?

  • Yes, I will or I already have

    Votes: 33 70.2%
  • No, I like the CTS the way it is

    Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Perhaps, I might like to down the line

    Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Only when it is out of warranty

    Votes: 2 4.3%

  • Total voters
    47
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of posts seem to be about enhancing or upgrading the CTS through a variety of aftermarket add ons i.e. exhausts, intakes, bizzare hardware hacks, exterior enhancements, etc.

Who out there is content to leave their CTS alone?

Just wondering how many people are modifying their CTS's compared to the number of creative modders.

Eventually, I will probably get around to adding a Volant, some stiffer sway bars, or an exhaust, but for now I am really happy with the car I have. The CTS rides pretty well, handles decently, goes fast in a straight line, slows down on a dime, what more could you want?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
MikeB066 said:
Who out there is content to leave their CTS alone?

Eventually, I will probably get around to adding a Volant, some stiffer sway bars, or an exhaust, but for now I am really happy with the car I have. The CTS rides pretty well, handles decently, goes fast in a straight line, slows down on a dime, what more could you want?
I'm not content with leaving mune alone...lol...I have added the Volant, Magnaflow Mufflers, V-Pipes and I'll add some more stuff now that I'm approaching my 2 year of ownership in November....The CTS rides well and handles decently, but I added Eibachs for a stiffer and tighter handling (will add sway bar and anti roll kit at some point); it goes fast in a fast straight line, but a littler faaster is cool too, this high flow cats and headers and/or maybe a super charger somewhere down the line...and slows on a d dime, but I got drilled and slotted rotors and high performance ceramic pads so it slows a little faster....I agree with you tho, the CTS has a lot but I wanna squeeze a little more out of it, w/o buying a V and paying the higher ins premiums etc....At somepoint I'll stop tho....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
I like a lot of the mods people present on these forums, but I'm leasing.

It doesn't make sense for me, plus I like the car as is anyway.

2 years from now, I'll probably lease a 2008 model CTS.

The wife and I usually buy 1 car and lease the other. We bought the MDX with cash.

She is ok with driving the same car for about 6 to 7 years. I like a new car every 3 years--so I lease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
MikeB066 said:
A lot of posts seem to be about enhancing or upgrading the CTS through a variety of aftermarket add ons i.e. exhausts, intakes, bizzare hardware hacks, exterior enhancements, etc.

Who out there is content to leave their CTS alone?

Just wondering how many people are modifying their CTS's compared to the number of creative modders.

Eventually, I will probably get around to adding a Volant, some stiffer sway bars, or an exhaust, but for now I am really happy with the car I have. The CTS rides pretty well, handles decently, goes fast in a straight line, slows down on a dime, what more could you want?
This is an interesting poll. I take some issue with it because of the lack of definition of the term modifications.

For example, I added exhaust tips to my car, otherwise no other mods. So in my mind my car is un-modded, and probably for most of the forum members here, they'd agree; however, it is modded by the strictist terms. So to explain I checked "un-modded" above. I assume by modding we are talking about performance and large external appearance enhancements only correct? Also my car came from the dealer with a V Grill, so its modded there, but I didn't do it. :bighead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
I like the idea of individualizing my cars. Part of it is the automobile has always been a big part of my life. Detroit often compromises and is a bit more conservative. What's interesting is many of our ideas get incorporated into Detroits offerings. I.E. Body colored grill, chrome exhaust tips & wood grain dash. In a way we are sorta pioneers..and it's a lot of fun IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts
It really depends for me, now i want to add a v exhaust and i have a v grill, but those are all cadillac parts. The problem is in my opinion, when some people modify there cars too much with aftermarket parts that it starts looking tacky. I like a classy type of modification. One thing i dont like is when people mess around with performance cars, exhaust and intake to me is fine, but I know this one guy, he has a cts v, took off the stock wheels and tires and put some of those cheesy all chrome 20 inch wheels on it. Then he made the doors into lambo doors. I mean, the v is engineered so nice from the factory, if I had a v I would probbaly just leave it alone, maybe add a nice lisnce plate frame lol. He basically turned the v into a cheesy rapper ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
I agree with personalizing your car. As they say "to each their own".

Not every car needs major mods to perform nicely or look better, but those who choose not to seem to lack some imagination.:stirpot:

It is all a matter of personal opinion to what is enough and what isn't. I just don't like to drive down the street and see the exact same car driving next to me. It is just like the choices you have in buying a car, you have the choice also to make it your own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,018 Posts
Since a V was mentioned I thought I would chime in. I had a Redline CTS and traded for a V. The V and CTS are very nice stock. On my CTS I added chrome rims, (which I need to sell) and chrome exhaust pipes. I also had a V grill on it which begged for rims over the stock CTS rims. It set the CTS off without the bling factor imo.
I just hope with all the mod's we in CTS family can do, NO ONE PUT's THAT CHEESY A^% CHROME BRAKE LIGHT TRIMMING you see on too many cars. I hope no vendor ever makes one of these contraptions especially for a CTS.
Add anything you want but never mess with the distinctive rear of a CTS except for the exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
:histeric:It would be hard to read these forums and not find one mod you like. I've completed five that I wanted from the factory. Now I'm prone to keep the car longer due to the increased satisfaction level. Sorry GM. My interest is more appearance and neat things versus performance. I'm getting older.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
There seems to be three rules of thought on this. Purchase and keep the vehicle as is. I fall into the next group, that who likes to keep the apperance stock except for subtle enhancements and more with performance (intake, plugs,exhaust and maybe MAF or ECU upgrade) and those who go for this and outer individualism (wheels, grill, spoilers, lowering the vehicle etc). How many premium vehicles do we see this on? Thats why I love this vehicle and all the individuality that it brings out. I hope Cadillac is paying attention to these things as it will make this a better vehicle in the future. The 3 series and the A4 come to mind and look at the progress of these vehicles. I'm opptimistic were headed in the right direction with this car, and a good indication of that will be the next version of it. What you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jteolis said:
This is an interesting poll. I take some issue with it because of the lack of definition of the term modifications.
I intended it to be pretty restricted between no mods at all in terms of appearance and making minor mods like exhaust tips or an intake because I like the stock CTS. I understand the desire to squeeze more performance out of it, to customize the body or appearance, to enhance the car beyond stock, but as it is the car is great off the assembly line. Many of the people posting to the forums are making major investments in mods, so I was merely wondering if there was a quiet minority that was perfectly content with their CTS the way it arrived from the dealer.

As I said when I started the thread, I love my CTS, but I am one of the people who will eventually mod it just not right now. Why am I going to mod the otherwise great vehicle? More power and better handling. I bought my CTS because it offered the best of two worlds, power and comfort. I am willing to sacrifice a little comfort for better cornering, a little more engine noise for additional power, and so on, because I live to drive and I drive to live. There are plenty of forum members who share this mentality, or so it seems, but I wanted to reach out to those who might not be fully invested in the "I must have the fastest, baddest, nimblest auto on the street" crowd to give them a voice. Today I am one of those "hey the CTS is fine the way it is" people. Tomorrow, or maybe in a year I willl want more and not want to invest in a completely new platform which is normally where I start making mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
-1- said:
:histeric:It would be hard to read these forums and not find one mod you like. I've completed five that I wanted from the factory. Now I'm prone to keep the car longer due to the increased satisfaction level. Sorry GM. My interest is more appearance and neat things versus performance. I'm getting older.
I tend to agree with you -1-
In the past I've always traded my cars every 3 years. But I'm really excited about my CTS after 2 years and have no craving to look yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
I'm with you Robert, I've had mine for allmost as long and still get a grin on my face when I walk out into the garage and fire it up. :yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I will begin to Mod when things start to wear out, like the tires, exhaust, etc... I read somewhere that the CTS was the Cadillac challenge to the BMW 3 series. Can a stock CTS be a challenge to a 3 series BMW? I am asking because I really don't know much about BMW's.

++Fixx++
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
++Fixx++ said:
I will begin to Mod when things start to wear out, like the tires, exhaust, etc... I read somewhere that the CTS was the Cadillac challenge to the BMW 3 series. Can a stock CTS be a challenge to a 3 series BMW? I am asking because I really don't know much about BMW's.

++Fixx++
Ohhh, yeah! The CTS will take on a 3-series. The 3.6 has a lot more power than the BMW 3.0 much less the 2.5. The interior of the CTS is a lot roomier than a 3-series. And best of all the sport suspension on the CTS is a lot less harsh than the sport suspension on say a 330ci. One of my co-workers has a 330ci and it is a nice car, but driving on anything but a glass smooth, just poured road and you feel like a bobblehead from the over aggressive suspension tuning. Sure his car might corner a little better than mine, but it is a compact coupe, not a mid-sized sedan. I have been egging him on for a little contest but so far he hasn't risen to the bait, instead he's thinking about ditching the 330 and getting a CTS. Having driven his 330 and my CTS, I think I have a chance of taking him, maybe not off the line but at top end since his governor kicks in before mine does. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
MikeB066 said:
Ohhh, yeah! The CTS will take on a 3-series. The 3.6 has a lot more power than the BMW 3.0 much less the 2.5. The interior of the CTS is a lot roomier than a 3-series. And best of all the sport suspension on the CTS is a lot less harsh than the sport suspension on say a 330ci. One of my co-workers has a 330ci and it is a nice car, but driving on anything but a glass smooth, just poured road and you feel like a bobblehead from the over aggressive suspension tuning. Sure his car might corner a little better than mine, but it is a compact coupe, not a mid-sized sedan. I have been egging him on for a little contest but so far he hasn't risen to the bait, instead he's thinking about ditching the 330 and getting a CTS. Having driven his 330 and my CTS, I think I have a chance of taking him, maybe not off the line but at top end since his governor kicks in before mine does. :D
:yeah: Sounds exactly like my own comparison test when I was shopping around and checked out the beamer 3 series
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
If a mod includes window tinting, clear bra, hardwire V1 and install a receiver hitch for my bike then yes the mods have begun right out of the showroom. Snow tires on the stock 16" rims may be next along with new 17" or 18" summer wheels/tires.depending on how it handles in the first significant snow fall.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
15 Participants
onephatguy
Top