Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my V off about a month ago at the dealer for an oil change and assumed they would just use the factory-recommended Mobile 1 synthetic. Well yesterday I decided to pop the hood and double-check the oil levels (I keep an extra quart of Mobile 1 in my trunk at all times) and the dealer had covered the "Mobile 1" cap with a Castrol Syntec sticker. Is this oil fine? Can I use the Mobile 1 to top-off the car? I'm kinda upset they used the Castrol but I guess it's really my fault for not asking.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've heard that Castrol Syntec isn't even a true synthetic, but a highly refined petroleum base stock. In any case, it performs nearly the same as Mobil 1, and in fact has a higher viscosity index and the same flash point. The pour point isn't as good as Mobil 1 though, so that may be of some concern if you live in a really cold climate.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I ran Castrol in my 450+ NAHP Mustang and found it left some strange buildup in my valve covers...swapped to Mobile 1 and the problem went away(after a cleanup). I now run royal purple. I would question them on why they used different oil than what the factory recommends.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I'll make sure to ask them when I go in to get my driver's-side rear headliner replaced (it blew off when I opened the window).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Seattle CTS-V