Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats all the hullaballoo about M1 in the Northstar??? I used Mobil 1 from day one in my 91 Continental (Bought it with 12K mileage). This is the worst car I have ever owned in 43 years of driving. Replaced every front and rear brake, hydraulics, motor mts, air bags, alternators, any many other components!, at least twice!! The motor has just turned 180K +. No smoke, runs like a top, uses about a quart of oil every 1600 miles. I changed the oil every 6K (As I feel oils are better these days then when I was hotrodding back in the 50's and 60's when I used to do the every 3K routine myself). I believe my 99 Caddy warranty book recommends a regular oil change every 7500 miles. I own a 99 Seville which I absolutely love. It just turned 48K. I have followed the 6K M1 oil change on the Caddie. I do not have one oil spot on garage floor. She doesn't smoke. She goes about 1500 miles before needing a quart of oil. Should I be worried!!!
 

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
Joined
·
141 Posts
JOENH said:
Whats all the hullaballoo about M1 in the Northstar??? I used Mobil 1 from day one in my 91 Continental (Bought it with 12K mileage). This is the worst car I have ever owned in 43 years of driving. Replaced every front and rear brake, hydraulics, motor mts, air bags, alternators, any many other components!, at least twice!! The motor has just turned 180K +. No smoke, runs like a top, uses about a quart of oil every 1600 miles. I changed the oil every 6K (As I feel oils are better these days then when I was hotrodding back in the 50's and 60's when I used to do the every 3K routine myself). I believe my 99 Caddy warranty book recommends a regular oil change every 7500 miles. I own a 99 Seville which I absolutely love. It just turned 48K. I have followed the 6K M1 oil change on the Caddie. I do not have one oil spot on garage floor. She doesn't smoke. She goes about 1500 miles before needing a quart of oil. Should I be worried!!!
If you are asking if you should be worried because it does not leak or smoke, then you need to spend some time with a shrink. I hate to break the news to you, but cars are not supposed to leak or smoke. If you are not sure, just take it back to the dealer and tell them that you have a problem. Your problem is that there is not anything dripping out of the car, and there is not any smoke coming out of the back.
If you need leaks and smoke, they you should have purchased a Hyundai.

I use Mobil 1 in all my cars and don't have any engine problems. I am guilty of practicing the extended oil interval theory. Good or Bad, it is working for me so far.

Keep the mop and mask handy. You may need them within the next 300,000 miles.

Jon
96STS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jonrodman said:
If you are asking if you should be worried because it does not leak or smoke, then you need to spend some time with a shrink. I hate to break the news to you, but cars are not supposed to leak or smoke. If you are not sure, just take it back to the dealer and tell them that you have a problem. Your problem is that there is not anything dripping out of the car, and there is not any smoke coming out of the back.
If you need leaks and smoke, they you should have purchased a Hyundai.

I use Mobil 1 in all my cars and don't have any engine problems. I am guilty of practicing the extended oil interval theory. Good or Bad, it is working for me so far.

Keep the mop and mask handy. You may need them within the next 300,000 miles.

Jon
96STS
Jon, tnx for your understanding reply. My question was not geared to the use of M1 in my Northstar (I'm comfortable with the oil!!!), but more to the auto technocrats in these columns who are having fits with the use of M1 into Northstars! I have read too many postings as such.
 

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
Joined
·
141 Posts
JOENH said:
Jon, tnx for your understanding reply. My question was not geared to the use of M1 in my Northstar (I'm comfortable with the oil!!!), but more to the auto technocrats in these columns who are having fits with the use of M1 into Northstars! I have read too many postings as such.
I agree, For all the others who don't like Mobil 1, they are free to do whatever they like. I think Mobil 1 is one of the best oils. It is not magic, just a very good oil. It actually is oil. It is not teflon, it is not particles of graphite, it is oil (hydrocarbon chains). I also think the Northstar engine is one of the best engines. Why not put the best oil in the best engine?
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
If you are on a tight budget, another good choice is valvoline SynPower........ Their detergent pacakge is a little better than M1..... I use only valvoline products in my car........

I really hate to see people go extended periods without changing the oil.......! What makes you think you can go longer..... Sure, the oil may LAST that long, but its so chuck full of crap that its still doing harm.... Just because it doesnt smoke doesnt mean its not wearing internally.....! IF you want to have a high mileage engine running good, regular oil changes BELOW 6000 is key....... But if you dont care, then thats OK too.......

OIL IS CHEAP!! REPLACE IT!!!
 

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
Joined
·
141 Posts
elwesso said:
If you are on a tight budget, another good choice is valvoline SynPower........ Their detergent pacakge is a little better than M1..... I use only valvoline products in my car........

I really hate to see people go extended periods without changing the oil.......! What makes you think you can go longer..... Sure, the oil may LAST that long, but its so chuck full of crap that its still doing harm.... Just because it doesnt smoke doesnt mean its not wearing internally.....! IF you want to have a high mileage engine running good, regular oil changes BELOW 6000 is key....... But if you dont care, then thats OK too.......

OIL IS CHEAP!! REPLACE IT!!!
Hi Sipes,

I agree. I appreciate the design and quality of the STS and plan on maintaining it as well as possible. I expect that it will go a long time without any big problems. I anticipate regular oil changes. This car was a fixer-upper and now it is almost completely fixed up again. I intend to keep it that way. I am sure most of the people on this forum are interested in keeping their Cadillacs running perfectly and avoiding any surprise repair bills.

Jon
96STS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I have seen alot more cads switching over to the syn. oils. I have seen no more problems running the syn. than conven. oils. If the engine is going to leak, burn, or consume oil- which northstats do- then the oil wont matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tnx for the info guys. As far as the comment on oil change frequency, I guess I can only say that it's based on my years of using the pre-synthetic oils. In the old days, regular detergent 6K oil was dark, heavy and dirty to the look. When I change M1 at 6K, it looks and feels like I changed it the previous week. Granted, there may be as many particles floating around in it, but it looks cleaner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
JOENH said:
Tnx for the info guys. As far as the comment on oil change frequency, I guess I can only say that it's based on my years of using the pre-synthetic oils. In the old days, regular detergent 6K oil was dark, heavy and dirty to the look. When I change M1 at 6K, it looks and feels like I changed it the previous week. Granted, there may be as many particles floating around in it, but it looks cleaner.
Would anyone recommend putting synthetic in a 4.9L with 70k miles????
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Its your call...... I probably wouldnt.......

You could also try a synthetic blend....... I think valvoline makes one, I cant remember.......
 

·
Registered
2016 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum
Joined
·
137 Posts
JOENH said:
Tnx for the info guys. As far as the comment on oil change frequency, I guess I can only say that it's based on my years of using the pre-synthetic oils. In the old days, regular detergent 6K oil was dark, heavy and dirty to the look. When I change M1 at 6K, it looks and feels like I changed it the previous week. Granted, there may be as many particles floating around in it, but it looks cleaner.
i changed my 1989 riviera at 80k over to mobil 1 car now has 230k no problems.

i also use mobil 1 since new in
1. 1999 cadillic sls 31k
2. 2001 cadillac dts 19k
3 sears lawn mower 5 years old
4. sears snow blower 7 years old

i think it is the best oil!
using a synthetic blend does not make sence to me (savings minimal)
just my two cents
charlie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
I put synthetic in my moms van about a week ago just to test it out before i go with my car. Suprisingly it runs great. I think i am going to try it in my car. Ill keep you updated with the results. any suggestions on brand????
 

·
Registered
2016 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum
Joined
·
137 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
I put synthetic in my moms van about a week ago just to test it out before i go with my car. Suprisingly it runs great. I think i am going to try it in my car. Ill keep you updated with the results. any suggestions on brand????
i use only mobil 1 10w 30w in everything. readily available.
walmart in my area carrier 5 quart jug containers for about $17.00.
nice of you to test in moms car FIRST.
good luck
charlie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
CBOYLE said:
i use only mobil 1 10w 30w in everything. readily available.
walmart in my area carrier 5 quart jug containers for about $17.00.
nice of you to test in moms car FIRST.
good luck
charlie
Well of course I am going to test her car first its a lease and its an 03. When ever i want to try something like that i put it in her van or my dad and i have a beater that we use to test things on.
 

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
Joined
·
372 Posts
This oil thing never goes away , so I will post results of a test on SuperFlow Dyno 3 years ago, (I am retired now ..).

Competition Engine #49..#355 CI Chev Smalblock.(.030 overbore, Steel crank, 6 inch rods and JE pistons).

Engine runin initial light torque load..(30 Wt Kendall GT1)

Change oil and Filter and Cut filter to examine for bearing material...Check out OK.

First power runs are with Havoline 30 wt.........baseline 475 HP

Change heads for 1 point increase in CR and set timing to 40 degrees
(Havoline 30 wt) 503 HP at 700 RPM

Change headers and tighten Valve lash for more cam duration
(505 HP at 7000RPM)

Change to Synergyn 0-20 rcing synthetic oil
(503 HP at 7000)

Change to Mobil 1 5-30) 505 HP at 7000)

Change oiland filter aagain to Amsoil....502 at 7000)

Check valve lash..(OK) change oil and filter and refill with Kedall GT1 30wt...........(506 Hp at 7000)

Result

The only difference in the oils is in the initial COST!


ljk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
I am not worried about the power difference in my car for different types of oil. Im more worried about the condition of the engine. Will the synthetic get more life than conventional.
 

·
Registered
2016 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum
Joined
·
137 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
I am not worried about the power difference in my car for different types of oil. Im more worried about the condition of the engine. Will the synthetic get more life than conventional.
230k on my riviera is proof enough for me.
runs like a top does not burn a drop of oil!
mobil 1 READILY available. you can run to walmart pep boys or just about any auto parts store and quickly pick up what you need.
i have read this AMSOIL may be better but not convient for ME to purchase.
you can go on and on about oil. synthetic or regular.
sometimes just a personal choice! (i have shared my experience with mobil 1)
whatever you decide
good luck
charlie
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Ive only heard good things about synthetic castrol........

DONT THINK BY SWITCHING TO SYNTHETIC YOU CAN EXTEND OIL CHANGE INTERVAL.......

Also, with mobil 1, its 30 weights seem to be a little on the thin side (which might be why it leaks)....... I suggest using a 40 weight mobil one......
 

·
Registered
2016 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum
Joined
·
137 Posts
never saw mobil 1 (synthetic) in a 10w 40w
(castrol the worst synthetic on market)
i do not extend change intervals.
amen for me
charlie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
In my 99' STS owner's manual, it states that 5-30 weight can be used on temps lower than 60 degrees on your next oil chg. and lower temps in general.

To me, the Mobil 1 10-30 will be perfect in this application for my car, esp for the winter months because of the lighter weight synthetic oil is.

I use M-1 in all my stuff and have had nothing but positive results and no leakage when I used it in a brand new Acura 3.2 Type-S from the factory.

STSGUY

elwesso said:
Ive only heard good things about synthetic castrol........

DONT THINK BY SWITCHING TO SYNTHETIC YOU CAN EXTEND OIL CHANGE INTERVAL.......

Also, with mobil 1, its 30 weights seem to be a little on the thin side (which might be why it leaks)....... I suggest using a 40 weight mobil one......
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top