Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know the new escalades come with this oil 0W/20 requirement. Unfortunately they use synthetic blend only for the FREE maintenance. Word of advice, please go the extra mile and use the mobil 1 0W/20 EP instead and you will be guaranteed extra miles of enjoyable driving. At least up to 200k miles!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
You can use Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W20 as they are both Dexos 1 approved. They will both protect better than the factory synthetic blend. By the way, the factory fill AC Delco Synthetic Blend Dexos 1 is made by ExxonMobil for GM. While the factory fill oil is not bad, it's not as good as Mobil 1. You can use ANY 0W20 oil, AS LONG AS IT'S DEXOS 1 APPROVED!

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only used the extended performance which is good up to 15k mile interval and have exceeded my expectations. 217k miles and running on my Honda Pilot and 194934 miles on my escalade hybrid and running!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
If you choose to service your vehicle elsewhere, just make sure to keep all records and make sure all the service records show the date and mileage as well as what oil and filter type you are using. This covers you in case you have any engine issues during the warranty period. I have spoken to a few Cadillac dealer service managers and they have said that GM will deny any engine warranty claims if you can't show service records. Lack of service records will indicate that you didn't change the oil which in turn becomes an owner neglect issue. I have personally seen vehicles at the dealer service departments where Cadillac has denied oil related engine failures due to the fact that the vehicle owners can't provide service records.

I would use regular Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 and change it out according to what the engine oil monitor indicates. Mobil 1 Extended Performance will go longer over what the oil life monitor shows and you want service records showing you changed the oil every 7,500 miles, not every 15K miles. Again, this is in case any warranty issues arise. You can even buy the oil and filter and give it to your Cadillac dealer and tell them to use it instead of the GM oil and filter. I would recommend the Fram Ultra XG 10575 oil filter if you are going to run the Mobil 1 EP oil. Mobil 1 oil filters are ok, but they aren't rated as high as the Fram Ultra filters. You can get a Fram Ultra oil filter cheaper than a Mobil 1 oil filter at Walmart. Fram Ultra filters are rated at 15K miles, so it is a perfect combo with the Mobil 1 EP.

I am going to let my Cadillac dealer change the oil and rotate the tires every 7,500 miles. That is the typical interval on the Escalade. If you change your oil every 15K miles, make sure to rotate the tires every 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have OnStar, it actually records when and at what miles you changed your oil. I use EP because if it's as good at 15k miles it's as good at 8k miles. I use the oil monitor reminder and usually I get 30% oil life left at about 10k miles.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Please don't tell me you rely on OnStar to record your service intervals. OnStar is far from perfect. I speak from personal experience. I do use OnStar, but not for service recordings. Keep service records in a file. GM is getting very strict on engine replacements! Just make sure to run a high end oil filter for optimal filtration in conjunction with the Mobil 1 EP. I run regular Mobil 1 5W30 and a Fram Ultra XG 10575 filter (same as Escalade filter part number) in my CTS-V Coupe and change it earlier than what the OLM shows. Cheap insurance to make sure there is always fresh oil and a new filter on the car.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My local dealer have online access to their service history as well and they keep a copy too and can print it out for you. The onstar one is backup. But after having my hybrid up to 194934 not a bit worried. I also use either mobil 1 EP filter or pure one oil filters. I send a sample to blackstone for the 1st two oil changes and if everything is ok just use the sample interval.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
All good advice....changing the oil is one of the best things we can do on ANY car that we own!!

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FirstEsv said:
Just curious, how many quarts/gallons is needed if I were to buy my own oil and bring it to the dealership?
If my old hybrid capacity is the same, about 6 quarts.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
I AM JUST GUESSING:
But most of my 8 cyl took 6 qts.
a few of my 6 cyl took 5 qts
And two of my 4 cyl took 4 qts.
Maybe it is true for all, but I am not sure.
I wonder what my 4 cyl turbocharger uses.
At the last oil change cost me $305 at MB.
They did not say how much oil.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zerdian1 said:
I AM JUST GUESSING: But most of my 8 cyl took 6 qts. a few of my 6 cyl took 5 qts And two of my 4 cyl took 4 qts. Maybe it is true for all, but I am not sure. I wonder what my 4 cyl turbocharger uses. At the last oil change cost me $305 at MB. They did not say how much oil.
I like to use mobil 1 since I know the smell new and used;). So, short of watching them pour the quart of oil to the engine I just check it at home.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
The Gen V DI engines require 8.5 quarts of 0W20 viscosity Dexos 1 approved oil with a filter. That's 2 gallons and half a quart. The old body style pushrod 6.2L Escalade took 6 quarts of oil with a filter. All of this is outlined in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you choose to service your vehicle elsewhere, just make sure to keep all records and make sure all the service records show the date and mileage as well as what oil and filter type you are using. This covers you in case you have any engine issues during the warranty period. I have spoken to a few Cadillac dealer service managers and they have said that GM will deny any engine warranty claims if you can't show service records. Lack of service records will indicate that you didn't change the oil which in turn becomes an owner neglect issue. I have personally seen vehicles at the dealer service departments where Cadillac has denied oil related engine failures due to the fact that the vehicle owners can't provide service records.

I would use regular Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 and change it out according to what the engine oil monitor indicates. Mobil 1 Extended Performance will go longer over what the oil life monitor shows and you want service records showing you changed the oil every 7,500 miles, not every 15K miles. Again, this is in case any warranty issues arise. You can even buy the oil and filter and give it to your Cadillac dealer and tell them to use it instead of the GM oil and filter. I would recommend the Fram Ultra XG 10575 oil filter if you are going to run the Mobil 1 EP oil. Mobil 1 oil filters are ok, but they aren't rated as high as the Fram Ultra filters. You can get a Fram Ultra oil filter cheaper than a Mobil 1 oil filter at Walmart. Fram Ultra filters are rated at 15K miles, so it is a perfect combo with the Mobil 1 EP.

I am going to let my Cadillac dealer change the oil and rotate the tires every 7,500 miles. That is the typical interval on the Escalade. If you change your oil every 15K miles, make sure to rotate the tires every 7,500 miles.
First off Fram is the worst filter in oil filter history. (Do research) 2nd Mobil 1 is nowhere as good as it use to be since the formula change. I wouldnt keep it in my vehicle past 3 to 5k. At a 6k interval my UOA report was awful. Oil broke down very badly.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade ESV Premium
88 Posts
Surprised about this distrust of Mobil 1- I've got years (including this years) of Blackstone Labs oil evaluation reports that suggest I take my factory 4500 recommended mileage to 9-10K miles. Hearsay is great but I'd rather get a professional unbiased opinion.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
Mobil 1 and its variants are some of the best-selling engine oils on earth, highly recommended by several large automobile manufacturers.. Hearsay and unfounded opinion will not change that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts