Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got my car back. I just had a new purge valve put on my car, and had the idle speeds on my car adjusted because they were all wacky since I got my remanned carb. I was told that everything is now perfect, as it should be, the car has been restored to it's original luster. I picked it up tonight and TO ME the fast idle still sounded fast and the car still seemed to jump when put in gear. To be honest I just don't know. I can't tell if this is what normal is because I've been driving it messed up for so long it all sounds funny to me. Is the car supposed to jump a little when you pop it in gear? How fast is the fast idle supposed to be? I seriously can't tell if this is normal or what. Can somoene if you have the know how and means to post a sound clip of the proper idle speeds or send me the file? I just wanna hear the fast idle, low idle, and in drive with the brake held down. I think at this point if it's still not right after several visits to the shop I'm just going to go to a dealer and have the GM guys look at it and tell me where it's supposed to be. I figure they'd know better than these guys at my shop would. :hmm: :confused: :bonkers:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, I dont think I can post a sound clip or anything, but I think I know what your talking about. At least with the jumpo when you put it in gear. My car, when its in the fast idle, it actually seems to slowly speed itself up the warmer it gets, untill I finally have to stop it from revving too high(even if it isnt totally warmed up) Id assume that the car should idle at about 1000 rpm give or take once warmed up. I know that bad vacume lines can easilly effect idle speeds and the smoothness of shifting. If you havent already, id go over and replace any cracked, dry rotted, or collapsed vacume lines. Im currently doing this to my car and it seems to be helping, though unfourtunatly Ive been havin gother problems with the car and have yet to finish. Good luck though

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah mine does that too. I'll choke it, start, and it's fast, then ti goes down, then starts to go up. However when I drop it, it'll still jump forward into gear. It's not like a violent jump like it was but it's a jump none the less. As far as I know all the vac lines were replaced with the new carb. Do you have a digital camera with a sound recording feature? Or even a video would work. If you can or anyone else I'll PM you my email and if you could email me that, it would be great.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
DopeStar 156 said:
...I think at this point if it's still not right after several visits to the shop I'm just going to go to a dealer and have the GM guys look at it and tell me where it's supposed to be. I figure they'd know better than these guys at my shop would. :hmm: :confused: :bonkers:
Not a bad idea, and what FINALLY happened to us after spending hundreds of dollars in two different shops to get my father's Roadmaster worked on, only for it to get parts it never really needed and come out more screwed up than when it came in.

When we took the other car to the dealer then to get stuff fixed, at least they were not only familiar with most everything on the car, but also had the best and latest diagnostic tools, worked the fastest, and ended up charging less than anyone else would have, not to mention fixing what needed fixing on the first try. Then again, this dealership has a pretty high ranking service department, so I would imagine not all would be as good.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, well I'm gonna drive the car for a few days and see how I like it. If it doesn't bother me I won't mess with it.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
If you're concerned about a high idle, drive to the shop and ask them to hook it up to a tach and show you...

·
Registered
01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed
1,392 Posts
i think that once the car is warmed up, and placed in gear that the idle is supposed to be like 550-700rpm or something. dont quote that though, its just off the top of my head, i'll look it up and see if i can find some real stats

·
Registered
01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed
1,392 Posts
Performance Olds 307. Tuning The Q Jet ... Adjusting The Engine Idle Speed (RPMs).

The 307 likes to idle at about 600 in gear and 800 out of gear. ...

performanceolds307.tripod.com/id5.html

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
The sticker on the front of my car says to adjust the fast idle to 550 RPM in drive. At 550 RPM, the car doesn't jump at all when I put her into gear.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
On carbureted cars, the proper start-up procedure is as follows:
1. Set choke by pressing on gas pedal (a couple pumps of the pedal sets the choke and primes the system by shooting a little fuel into the carb/intake).
2. Start engine and allow to climb to a smooth fast idle.
3. Before putting transmission in "Drive", tap the gas pedal to release the high-idle.
4. As idle slows to normal curb idle, THEN put trans in "Drive".

The reason for this is: when cold, the carb choke assembly spring forces the throttle shaft into a high-idle position on the high-idle cam (located on the right side of the carb). Even once the engine is warm, and the choke totally open, the carb will stay at high-idle until you tap the gas which releases the high-idle cam. The high-idle IS adjustable, and on your car, it should be adjusted to 550rpm in "Drive".
The reason for the idle climbing characteristic you mentioned is that as the choke opens, the idle mixture goes from a very rich mixture to a normal one, and that translates into a higher idle. If the choke and fast idle are properly adjusted, the idle difference won't be too great but in any case it's certainly a noticable change.
If, for some reason the high-idle doesn't drop off as soon as you tap the gas once, either the choke is not fully open, or the choke linkage is binding. Either situation is easily remedied via a simple adjustment.
Failing to tap the gas and drop the idle prior to putting the trans in "Drive" is bad for the trans and the entire drivetrain.
These are obviously things you don't have to worry about on EFI cars but that's life with a carburetor! ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mmmmm...carburators. Katshot, Im, gonna have to print your post and glue a copy onto my friends dashboard. Lol, he has a few classic cars he is "restoring" Sadly, he has never had the pleasure of actually driving a carburated car. I remember a few times when hed go to start up his 72 dodge coronet (cop car to be) hed do it all wrong and it would stall instantly. Lol, kids theese days.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Kids huh? ;)
It IS funny though to think of things like this that are so normal to us older folks, as something that needs to be taught to anybody. There are a lot of things that we (older folks) grew up learning that younger folks simply never had to learn due to modern technology. Of course, as younger folks explore older tech items (like carbureted cars), they find themselves at a loss. Now don't get me wrong, I DON'T consider myself OLD be any stretch but never the less......
Anybody here remember:

1. Smacking the side of a TV to gain a clearer picture?
2. How about VHF and UHF TV stations?
3. Setting point gaps with a match book cover?
4. Driving cars with non-synchronized transmissions?
5. Driving cars with no gas gauges?
6. Driving cars with a 3-on-the-tree?

There's a lot more too. Anybody got any to add?

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow dude no gas gauge? Haha sucks. Yeah though I'm gonna take the car out tomorrow and see how it performs, Hopefully it won't be too cold tomorrow and that won't mess with the idle.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Katshot said:
Yep, no gas gauge. You really had to pay attention to the mileage. One of my cars actually had a reserve tank valve like a motorcycle!
Haha shit dude! How long ago was this?! :canttalk:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Back in the early 70's. The car was a '59 VW Beetle. I was really into VW's for a while back then. I did a number of custom ones and a couple ground up restorations. For a while I had a VW engine building business too. Then I got more into domestic performance cars and the VWs went bye-bye! ;)

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Katshot said:
Kids huh? ;)
It IS funny though to think of things like this that are so normal to us older folks, as something that needs to be taught to anybody. There are a lot of things that we (older folks) grew up learning that younger folks simply never had to learn due to modern technology. Of course, as younger folks explore older tech items (like carbureted cars), they find themselves at a loss. Now don't get me wrong, I DON'T consider myself OLD be any stretch but never the less......
Anybody here remember:

1. Smacking the side of a TV to gain a clearer picture?
2. How about VHF and UHF TV stations?
3. Setting point gaps with a match book cover?
4. Driving cars with non-synchronized transmissions?
5. Driving cars with no gas gauges?
6. Driving cars with a 3-on-the-tree?

There's a lot more too. Anybody got any to add?

Manual chokes.

Luxury cars that came from the factory with Holley carbonators. '72 Imperial, 72 Contenential.

Front drum brakes.

Chrysler Corp. on the edge of extinction 1981 stock $6.00. Ronald Rayguns bailing them out with federal loan.

Crappy American econoboxes. Chevettes, Vegas, Pintos, AMC, Pacer, GM's X platform.

Bias ply tires.

Super Sport Stones.

Disco Sucks bumper stickers.

Gas stations that delivered fuel in Liters instead of gallons. Push for metric system here in the states.

Price of gasoline first time I bought any $0.59 .

Sears wind-up lawn mower starters.

Tube stereo systems. Still have 'em!

Thrush mufflers.

T.V. sets that had to warm up.

Boss 302 cylinder heads with ports so large you could slip a full deck of cards through.

T.V. sets that made a small bright circle in the center of the screen for a minute after being shut down.

Orange Hayes 10" Pressure plate.

Music on AM stations that had reverb added. Sometimes they left it on during the news.

Entire model years for GM where most of the paint flaked off '73,4.

GM getting it's act together in the rustproofing department. 1977. First year for GM cars that didn't rust like hell.

Nightly Vietnam casuality report by talking heads. Good old Walter Cronkite.

Being a teenager with a beater hotrod that could easily kick the crap out of anything a rich kid's parents could buy new.

Cars without tinted glass or factory air.

2 door cars with doors made from a couple of soup cans without crash beams. '67/8/9 Barracuda.

Chrysler Cordoba which was a stretch Barracuda. Lean burn instead of a catalyst. Corinthian leather. Feel the power.

$7.00 minimum gas purchase for 6 and V8 cars. $5.00 minimum for 4 bangers.

You don't have to smack your current TV set? What brand is it?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The Ape Man said:
Manual chokes.

Luxury cars that came from the factory with Holley carbonators. '72 Imperial, 72 Contenential.

Front drum brakes.

Chrysler Corp. on the edge of extinction 1981 stock $6.00. Ronald Rayguns bailing them out with federal loan.

Crappy American econoboxes. Chevettes, Vegas, Pintos, AMC, Pacer, GM's X platform.

Bias ply tires.

Super Sport Stones.

Disco Sucks bumper stickers.

Gas stations that delivered fuel in Liters instead of gallons. Push for metric system here in the states.

Price of gasoline first time I bought any $0.59 .

Sears wind-up lawn mower starters.

Tube stereo systems. Still have 'em!

Thrush mufflers.

T.V. sets that had to warm up.

Boss 302 cylinder heads with ports so large you could slip a full deck of cards through.

T.V. sets that made a small bright circle in the center of the screen for a minute after being shut down.

Orange Hayes 10" Pressure plate.

Music on AM stations that had reverb added. Sometimes they left it on during the news.

Entire model years for GM where most of the paint flaked off '73,4.

GM getting it's act together in the rustproofing department. 1977. First year for GM cars that didn't rust like hell.

Nightly Vietnam casuality report by talking heads. Good old Walter Cronkite.

Being a teenager with a beater hotrod that could easily kick the crap out of anything a rich kid's parents could buy new.

Cars without tinted glass or factory air.

2 door cars with doors made from a couple of soup cans without crash beams. '67/8/9 Barracuda.

Chrysler Cordoba which was a stretch Barracuda. Lean burn instead of a catalyst. Corinthian leather. Feel the power.

$7.00 minimum gas purchase for 6 and V8 cars. $5.00 minimum for 4 bangers.

You don't have to smack your current TV set? What brand is it?

LOL!!!:histeric:
OMG, I can't tell you how many of those brought back memories (not always good ones). I remember the wind-up lawnmower starters, my parents had one. At one point I was stuck with working two of the WORST cars on the planet (my dad had a Citation and my mom had a Chevette). The TVs warming up was so true. I remember replacing tubes in early TVs and radios. Hell, I had at least a dozen cars before I actually had one with A/C! I had Thrush glass-packs on my '70 'Cuda. Well the list goes on like you said. Things HAVE really changed huh? Also, remember how cars didn't used to come with right side mirrors? I'll bet I had a couple dozen cars before I actually got one that came with a right side mirror. It was one of the first things I did to a car when I got it.
And no, I don't have to smack my TVs anymore. That probably ended when I got rid of my last Zenith TV! LOL!

·
Registered
201 Posts
katshot
How about the drive-in movie, quadraphonic stereo,( when I buy music, I still say "I got a new record album")

Later

1 - 20 of 36 Posts