Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Concours
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Concours burns a bit of oil and starts to run rough every 10,000 miles or so. I normally just put new plugs in or clean and gap (I think the oil burning causes the electrode to burn down quick), clean or replace the coils and clean the module area (including the ground wire) and it runs good for another 10,000 or so. I am having this problem again but it appears to be only one bank of of cylinders (all 4), this has been verified by an inductive pickup timing light although it was a few months back and now can't remember if it was the front or rear bank. Any thoughts on what would cause a whole bank of cylinders to miss fire? No codes of course. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,179 Posts
Time to remove the plug wires , coils, and ICM base plate. Clean well, make sure the ICM ground cable is correctly installed, new (the expensive set) AC Delco plug wires from RockAuto.

No reason on earth - not even oil burning (cooler than gas burn) - that the AC Delco 41-950 Platinum plugs should need replacement before 100,000 - yes, 100,000 - miles.

Maybe - just maybe - one CKP (CranKshaft Position sensor) is going bad.

Northstar Waste Spark Ignition System.gif

·
Registered
98 Concours
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sub, I would love to fix the problem with the electrodes burning up so quick but so far no luck. I will be doing all the things you have suggested, I do it every 10,000 miles or so except for the wires (which of course are ac delco, lifetime warranty and have been replaced before under warranty).
I thought I had read in the past some issues that could cause just one bank of the ignition system to fail, any thoughts on that (or is that why you suggested the crankshaft positioning sensor)? I have always used ac delco 41-950 but I am thinking about switching to ac delco iridium plug (I think it has a stronger electrode). Thoughts?

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts