Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is having problems and after weeks trying to find the problem, I was thinking maybe someone here has seen this one.

The 4100 engine, runs strong, but misses at idle just a little bit, always. It does not go away. However, when I activate the A/C, the missing increases or maybe it just feels like it increases because I can feel it more. I tend to notice the missing when she warms up and not so much when cold in the first 5 minutes.

On occasion, not always, but only when cold, the engine almost feels like she wants to choke and load up when I accelerate. I don't see black smoke when this happens. When this happens, it goes away in a few seconds and does not repeat until another day.

I check the codes twice a day, and there are no current codes.

She got new plugs, fluids, hoses and belts about 6 months ago.

If anyone has suggestions specially if this problem has been encountered, I would appreciate a response.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
allante88 said:
My car is having problems and after weeks trying to find the problem, I was thinking maybe someone here has seen this one.

The 4100 engine, runs strong, but misses at idle just a little bit, always. It does not go away. However, when I activate the A/C, the missing increases or maybe it just feels like it increases because I can feel it more. I tend to notice the missing when she warms up and not so much when cold in the first 5 minutes.

On occasion, not always, but only when cold, the engine almost feels like she wants to choke and load up when I accelerate. I don't see black smoke when this happens. When this happens, it goes away in a few seconds and does not repeat until another day.

I check the codes twice a day, and there are no current codes.

She got new plugs, fluids, hoses and belts about 6 months ago.

If anyone has suggestions specially if this problem has been encountered, I would appreciate a response.

Thanks
I've never had this problem with a Cadillac, but have with other cars I've owned. I notice you didn't mention replacing the plug wires, just the plugs.
The wires need replaced periodically. I had an old Pontiac that got worse over time and a friend suggested I open the hood in the dark and look. There were so many "arc jumps" from the wires to the exhaust manifolds it looked like a Tesla ball.
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bob2231 said:
I've never had this problem with a Cadillac, but have with other cars I've owned. I notice you didn't mention replacing the plug wires, just the plugs.
The wires need replaced periodically. I had an old Pontiac that got worse over time and a friend suggested I open the hood in the dark and look. There were so many "arc jumps" from the wires to the exhaust manifolds it looked like a Tesla ball.
Bob
hey Bob,

not sure what a tesla ball is, but when i tried your suggestions tonight, i was provided with one awsome light show under the hood.

trails of blue light around the distributor cap, from the wires to the tubing, to other wires, to the manifold, pretty nice show if someone will ask. But probably not too healthy for the combustion.

this is at least part of the problem, and maybe the whole problem.

any specific recommendations on wires for a caddy?

thanks
 

·
Registered
'76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS
Joined
·
169 Posts
allante88 said:
hey Bob,

not sure what a tesla ball is, but when i tried your suggestions tonight, i was provided with one awsome light show under the hood.

trails of blue light around the distributor cap, from the wires to the tubing, to other wires, to the manifold, pretty nice show if someone will ask. But probably not too healthy for the combustion.

this is at least part of the problem, and maybe the whole problem.

any specific recommendations on wires for a caddy?

thanks
A tesla ball is one of those glass globes you've seen in stores like Spencers and Brookstones with an electrode in the middle of the globe and electrical arcs shooting from the electrode out to the perimeter of the globe. The arc follows whereever you touch your finger to the globe.

Ells
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
allante88 said:
hey Bob,

not sure what a tesla ball is, but when i tried your suggestions tonight, i was provided with one awsome light show under the hood.

trails of blue light around the distributor cap, from the wires to the tubing, to other wires, to the manifold, pretty nice show if someone will ask. But probably not too healthy for the combustion.

this is at least part of the problem, and maybe the whole problem.

any specific recommendations on wires for a caddy?

thanks
Hi,
I think you're right. You've found at least part of the problem. And most likely this is all that's wrong. If you're not getting error codes then it's probably just a basic tune up sort of thing.
Since you already did plugs and some other things, how about getting a rotor, dist. cap and wires. Then you have a pretty fresh system as far as the basics go. Most people here would recommend original equipment wires, cap and all. I think that's a good idea. The originals lasted all this time, right ?
Something else people here suggest, make sure you route the new wires exactly like the old ones. Use all the looms and retainers, and if you break one, don't ignore it. Get a replacement. This stuff runs so close to the motor that if you miss on location you'll cook the insulation and be right back where you started with arc jump.
Just get good parts, be careful how you install them, and most likely you'll have a smooth running engine again.
Bob
 

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
Joined
·
6,738 Posts
I Agree, Gm Parts For A Gm Car!. Also Apply Dielectric Grease To Cap Terminals And Plug Boots. Keeps Moisure Out And Easier To Remove Wires From Plugs Down The Road. Good Luck, Bill.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top