Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10881 - 10900 of 11028 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
17,798 Posts
CTS

Good article on the Genll and how well it stands up today.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
13,813 Posts
CTS

It truly is a great design that has stood up well; akin to the STS & ETC from the turn of the century.
My complaint list is brief: beefier front seats and longer overall, items which I personally feel were corrected in Gen III. The drawback to the next iteration was the dismissal of the coupe and wagon.

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Digging this 1920!
Bottle Liquid Drinkware Window Tableware

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,583 Posts
LOL--I've got a bottle of Longbranch somewhere, too.
And respectfully disclosed as the aforementioned 'other ne'er-do-wells on here'.

• Haha
Reactions: Long

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
2,393 Posts
I am an early riser and value my alone time. Love these early mornings with everybody asleep. Good cup of coffee, a good book, window open, listening to a Barred Owl hooting off in the distance (from the sounds of it, not too distant this morning). Hoping to do a run and a swim when it gets light. There's a light rain right now but it'll stop soon. Today, the day will be cloudy and will eventually hit 70F but this is going to be a nice day. For sure.

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,583 Posts
Early riser here as well - a curse since childhood. Coffee and a little AP and NPR to check planetary rotation. You mentioned reading, and my only regret is not making time to read more fiction. Time's too loaded up with working around my place, and right now immersed in building the MIL apartment over the garage. There's been no lack of reading though. The permit process is as entailing and exasperating as it is time-engulfing. Draft the plans, submit the plans, wait 2 weeks then answer information clearly shown on the plans.... While it's still quiet I'll be studying the Nat. Elec. Code to pass the qualified owner test panel work and branch wiring. Same for plumbing, but just for the pex supply lines. That stuff almost installs itself - way faster than sweating copper. But no way in hell I'd attempt the drain piping. I lucked out as the guy installing mine is a Michelangelo. This is just the bathroom and he met my request to keep everything tucked in the trusses:

Wood Floor Beam Composite material Roof

Good luck on your run. I have this copulsion now for some reason to walk around outside with a cup o' joe. ;)

Reactions: NorthernSRX

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
I am an early riser and value my alone time. Love these early mornings with everybody asleep. Good cup of coffee...
My body no longer allows comfortable slumber over the 5 hr mark.
Coffee and solitude here as well. The primary bedrooms in our house are all above the garage bays which limits my tinkering there while the others dream so I'm relegated to enjoying the nature of our woods and this particular morning the racket of turkeys wandering the trails.

This group has alot of similarities.

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
Yes sir, 2015. Thanks, it took 2 adjustments to the front, and 3 tries at the rear, to get it sitting how he wanted. That my friend, is a 19x11 out back.
I bet his smile will take weeks to subside.
Nice job, Dad.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
2,393 Posts
My body no longer allows comfortable slumber over the 5 hr mark.
Coffee and solitude here as well. The primary bedrooms in our house are all above the garage bays which limits my tinkering there while the others dream so I'm relegated to enjoying the nature of our woods and this particular morning the racket of turkeys wandering the trails.

This group has alot of similarities.
Yes we do. I wish I could get a full eight hours. That might come with age. I mean, more age...

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
2,393 Posts
CTS

A nice read. I would say that the car holds up very well indeed. When I drive new cars, I am struck by the tech advances made since this car was engineered 15 years ago. What the gen2 lacks in current tech, it makes up for in pretty decent technology and very very good bones. Yes, it has its weaknesses - as do all cars - but those weaknesses are more frustrating than they are deal killers.

The past couple of weeks under my car have inspired me to go after all the rust - not just the visible stuff. If I can get my price on a new CT5-V (no, not the BW), I will be able to focus all of my wrenching attention on the CTS and get it back to something close to pristine. There are two spots where I would weld in new metal (and, although I do weld, I would leave this to a pro).

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
2,551 Posts
My normal sleep is about 10 hours. But for the two days I have to get up at 5 AM then is only 8 hours. but I do take naps.

·
Registered
Current: 2012 3.6L ThunderGray CTS4 | Retired Caddies [3]: 2002/1993/1994 Seville Touring Sedan
153 Posts
I have never been able to get to sleep at a reasonable hour. A night owl since early childhood. Since I can’t get to sleep and work is always early, I average 2hrs a night and have lived that way for as long as I can remember. It’s not that I dislike sleep. It’s the “getting there” that I have problems with. If given the opportunity, such as the occasional weekend, I find myself sleeping for a full 6-9hrs if the family allows it.

As far as the CTS goes. The tech and styling of it were what I was expecting coming from my previous Seville ownership experiences, my working for a dealership when the first gen was introduced, my continued research on Cadillacs as I kept up on what was going on in that world till I would be able to make purchase on my next used car (I have always been one of the “poors”, from teenage homelessness to job hopping and poor spending habits into my thirties), the nature of technology advancement, and Cadillac being the brand that is often the test bed for tech that ends up in the rest of the GM line later on.
I also expected the expensive electrical issues and “minor” design flaws that come with the territory, since playing it safe sets you behind in the arena Cadillac plays in.
One thing I did not expect, was the driving experience of the gen2. I was long out of the dealership when the second gen came out and never got the chance to drive one till I was in the market for a used one and only got to drive a first gen once.
It is nothing like the Cadillacs I had ever driven before. My Seville’s were land yachts by comparison. The Cateras I had driven felt closer to a cavalier/sunfire than anything else. The first gen that I got the chance to drive was close, but I felt the suspension missed the mark and the interior felt unrefined, like that of a premium Chevy or base Buick of the day.

While I miss the spaciousness and soft touring ride of my ‘02 Seville with its N* engine/tranny combo and PAS providing enough power to move you down the highway and handling that could, at times, defy its size, it was not a “driving machine”, even though MotorTrend did call that (final) generation of the Seville Touring Sedan a “Muscle Car in an Armani Suit” (always loved that!).

The only thing I wish this car had, was more power accessible at lower rpm.

my apologies, I did not mean to write a novel. A great many words, signifying nearly nothing. My bad.

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,583 Posts
It was referred earlier those miscreants of us (at least those posting on this thread) give the impression of sharing traits in common. I mentioned I've always been cursed with rising early, but only because I'm 'blessed' with high Z Waves I think it's referred to. I think of pleasant things (construction order to building a new bookcase, or, the data, sound, signal, power and antenna cables needed along with the flexible conduit(s) to chase them) for my entertainment built-in, blah-blah. And voila, it's dead to the world until getting up for a fluid exchange and repeat. Or, cue up some stolen tunes and I'll conk off for hours sitting in the chair. There might be stuffs you might not have tried yet to change sleepy time. Or, whatchur doin is working for you.
And yah, there aren't more than 5 fingers of Cadys I'm strongly drawn to (XLR would make 6 but zero application to real life driving JIMHO). But I was quite close to pulling the trigger on both an '07 STS-V and a ?'10 CTS-V wagon at certain times. But both cases I lucked out (or messed up) and got pulled to an overseas project and saved all that depreciation. I just fear what's going to happen in 3 years that'll keep me from getting that CT6-V I'm banking on then.

BTW, one night I dreampt up the perfect substitute for that expensive ass theater flexible conduit while thinking about cleaning the pool house. An unused old skimmer vacuum hose hiding behind the stack of salt bags. Worked perfect. And free.

Reactions: Bucketokarma

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
17,798 Posts
It's evil, you must kill that bottle.

10881 - 10900 of 11028 Posts