Cadillac Owners Forum banner

6881 - 6900 of 7199 Posts

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
10,136 Posts
back in the days, GM used whale oil to stop the shutter. Then we started to run out of whales in the 70's.
They should stop looking for whales in the water and start hunting them at Jenny Craig meetings.

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,287 Posts
Dif-urnt whales than in Lost Vegas eh.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,886 Posts
By the 1960s up to 30 million pounds of whale oil were used each year, chiefly as the main additive to automatic transmission and locking differential fluids. It was whale oil that made these devices so reliable and efficient and it was primarily the auto industry's requirements that maintained the demand for whaling during the mid-20th Century.

Automatic transmissions ran smoothly and reliably using whale oil in lubricating fluids, as long as engine coolant temperatures ran below 173 degrees F. Fortunately for the whales, by the 1970s engines became subject to tighter emissions regulations and engineers had to design them to run hotter. Other demands such as front-wheel-drive and ever-increased emissions limits boosted the operating temperatures of engines to well over 200 degrees F, forcing research efforts into synthetic lubricants and rendering the use of whale oil (really an esther, not an oil) obsolete.

The Endangered Species Act of 1972, followed by an "indefinite moratorium" set in 1986 protects those whales remaining. Only the Japanese and Norwegians still kill whales for meat. While our society now looks at this senseless killing as; well, senseless and selfish, think of how you might have felt about driving a 50s or 60s-era car with an automatic transmission or locking differential if you had known that large numbers of whales had to die for your convenience. It isn't a pretty story, is it?

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,489 Posts
Vast amount of knowledge here. Thanks.
Of course an LSD diff is “pure racing” but with that added complexity and potential shudder (it also shudders more and more as the additive degrades) I would rather live without it. We talk about a car with 373 Nm. My Toyota Avensis has more torque on the front wheels (400 Nm) - there you can talk about the need for a locked differential.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,112 Posts
Actually my issue is the need for ambergris for perfume. Is a product of a squid based diet. LSD is also handy for snow and sand, not just racing (though a good modern Traction Control can come close). Back in the 70's most of my cars, even the tow car, had posi.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,446 Posts
By the 1960s up to 30 million pounds of whale oil were used each year, chiefly as the main additive to automatic transmission and locking differential fluids. It was whale oil that made these devices so reliable and efficient and it was primarily the auto industry's requirements that maintained the demand for whaling during the mid-20th Century.

Automatic transmissions ran smoothly and reliably using whale oil in lubricating fluids, as long as engine coolant temperatures ran below 173 degrees F. Fortunately for the whales, by the 1970s engines became subject to tighter emissions regulations and engineers had to design them to run hotter. Other demands such as front-wheel-drive and ever-increased emissions limits boosted the operating temperatures of engines to well over 200 degrees F, forcing research efforts into synthetic lubricants and rendering the use of whale oil (really an esther, not an oil) obsolete.

The Endangered Species Act of 1972, followed by an "indefinite moratorium" set in 1986 protects those whales remaining. Only the Japanese and Norwegians still kill whales for meat. While our society now looks at this senseless killing as; well, senseless and selfish, think of how you might have felt about driving a 50s or 60s-era car with an automatic transmission or locking differential if you had known that large numbers of whales had to die for your convenience. It isn't a pretty story, is it?
Wow. Simply wow.
How do you know all of this now useless information? And is this why Japanese cars run so well (whale, lol)?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,446 Posts
Actually my issue is the need for ambergris for perfume. Is a product of a squid based diet. LSD is also handy for snow and sand, not just racing (though a good modern Traction Control can come close). Back in the 70's most of my cars, even the tow car, had posi.
I worked on a lot of LSD when I was in college.

Reactions: Long

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why Im I not surprised Tinman!

Ordered a bumper sticker for the Cadillac today.
“Fear is the real pandemic”

Comes just in time for the election.

·
Registered
10,136 Posts

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Is that Don Henley?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
True that. But dont know about perfume.
Anyways. Couldnt get the GM brand fluid here. Castrol should have a cross reference fluid. Which maker of differential is it? ZF?

Change tomorrow...

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
LSD is also handy for snow and sand, not just racing (though a good modern Traction Control can come close).
I never used LSD like that.

Actually my issue is the need for ambergris for perfume.
I love women who smell like whales and squid.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
I think when I was in college. My fraternity had 'Pig Night'. At least that's what they tell me.

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Today is National American Beer day

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Should be a National Holiday on the same day as Election Day.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Seriously, Election Day should be a National Holiday once every four effin years. The 'Man' intentionally has it this way so the little people can't vote.
I own a business. I pay my employees for time off if they need to vote.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
6881 - 6900 of 7199 Posts