Cadillac Owners Forum banner

5261 - 5280 of 5315 Posts

·
Registered
96 FWB
564 Posts
Ok. But there's always waiting until morning to start -- when you're rested. Also, ample hydration, green vegetables and exercise balance ample imbibeinating. Just finished a 5k and the last 10 minutes at 7mph. Yes that's bragging. woohoo.

Coincidentally perfect with the end of 'Extraction'. You guessed it, chock full of corrupt blind police and ninjas. Only this time all in s. asian make-up.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,430 Posts
Poor thing. Did you take care of it during cocktail hour?

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
409 Posts
1792 is a blend and IMO blended liquor never stands up to a single barrel or a single malt.
It is decent, but it is so close in price to Michter's or Eagle Rare that purchasing up is an easy move.
I hear you. But I will say that Chivas is a blended Scotch and a darned fine one at that. Eagle Rare is hard to get up in these here parts. I've only ever scored one bottle - one of the last times I was in NYC.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
8,645 Posts
Poor thing. Did you take care of it during cocktail hour?
I did not partake yesterday and responsible Long thinks I should take tonight off as well.
I hate responsible Long.
I hear you. But I will say that Chivas is a blended Scotch and a darned fine one at that. Eagle Rare is hard to get up in these here parts. I've only ever scored one bottle - one of the last times I was in NYC.
I believe this is my 3rd bottle of 1792 and IIRC they have all been gifted. Not a bad bottle by any means, just close enough in price to easily step up.
Whiskey distribution seems to be worse now than it was during prohibition. What can you get your hands on up there in The Great White North?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,379 Posts
Isn't every scotch a blend of some sort? I don't drink much of it, but have never seen a single barrel scotch.

I read eagle rare is still mostly a single barrel even though they dropped the label from the bottle a few years back. They pour single barrels into each bottle, but at the end of the barrel the next bottle will be a blend of 2 barrels. Not sure if it's true but seems that way based on the slight inconsistency between the bottles I've had.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,430 Posts
Scotch is either blended or single malt - or rotgut. Now they have variotsingke malts aged in Sherry casks, this cask and that cask.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,379 Posts
Right but single malt doesn't mean single barrel. It just means all the whiskey that was blended to make it came from the same distillery.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,430 Posts
I could be wrong, but my best guess is it is not a blend of barrels of a like kind, but a bottle from one single barrel of scotch. I'm open for corrections.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
409 Posts
I believe this is my 3rd bottle of 1792 and IIRC they have all been gifted. Not a bad bottle by any means, just close enough in price to easily step up.
Whiskey distribution seems to be worse now than it was during prohibition. What can you get your hands on up there in The Great White North?
We do okay up here. Basically, I can get anything you can find on this site: Welcome to LCBO. So, in terms of Kentucky bourbons, the list is here: LCBO -Kentucky bourbons. I live on the border with Quebec (and my office is there), so I can get stuff from here as well: SAQ: Discover our selection of wines, beers and spirits online

Next to Tesco and Costco, I believe that the LCBO is one of the largest buyers of wines and spirits in the world so they have purchasing power and get a decent range of things. Nevertheless, you will find that I cannot get Eagle Rare through it right now. If I could, it would be just a tick under $US42. Whereas Buffalo Trace is "on sale" right now for the equivalent of $US 27.

So much of the price of wine and spirits is taxes. I was in Japan in October and was astonished how cheap single malts were - like roughly 40% less than Canadian prices. And in corner stores! When I was in Manhattan in January, I went into a few local stores there and noted that the Scotches there were significantly pricier than back home - plus there's a sales tax in NY. And I was in DC in early March (stayed in Virginia) and their wines were significantly cheaper than either NYC or up here.

My taste in whiskies tends toward liking complexities and shying away from those that round off the flavours with sweetness. I would rather drink less of something great than more of something cheap. Of course, drinking more of something great is also an option...

·
Registered
14,430 Posts
The stupid 25% tariffs that Trump imposed on Scotch for zero reason doesn't help the prices in the States. Obviously a gin drinker.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,172 Posts
So EjS, nice nice rig. I got the real jonesing for one in '10, but kept working overseas and couldn't see buying anything new for 500 miles /yr. on leaves. Just curious what it's called up your way. I've heard all sorts of names in EU for those but not often a wagon: variant, shooting brake, break, estate car, combi/kombi...
I would say, wagon, stationcar, station wagon, estate are the normal terms. Stationcar is the same in Danish.

In Swedish and German the name is “kombi” spelled that way.

You should have bought it and stored it away.
I just turned 100.000 kms and continue to consider what to do with it when lease is up end 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,430 Posts
English term.

·
Registered
14,430 Posts
Gawd. If you guys can't already tell from my car, y'all leave me in the dust with all this fancy talk of the newer cars. If ever the opportunity to move to EU I'll just take the tram until I can snag an old Phaeton W12. It's the perfect embodiment of American excess: well over 5,000#, respectable wb, 6L, 420h/406ftlb. and non-descript enough to keep clowns from pestering me = heaven. Sure, I hear you have to lift the motor to fill the tires, but I'd like working it. And it sounds like it'd be a lot.

For viewing pleasure:
View attachment 582195
One just sold for $13,500 on BaT:

2004 W12 Phaeton

·
Registered
96 FWB
564 Posts
DAM! Just DAM! That's not fair. I was distracted watching this nice kombi:

In all honesty that Phaeton is a much better deal than the one with 10% the miles at twice the price that went a year or so ago.

It's no surprise reading increasing bargain-snagging as more folks get further upside down.

·
Registered
14,430 Posts
My mom had a Country Squire with a 390. I learned to smoke tires on that car.

·
Registered
96 FWB
564 Posts

I've seen that mark on stuff and never considered it much. So, sorta good becoming aware of it in the first place in a UL sort of way. Even better to be mindful (nearing wary) of motives behind such an intentionally close mark from elsewhere.

·
Registered
14,430 Posts
View attachment 582357

I've seen that mark on stuff and never considered it much. So, sorta good becoming aware of it in the first place in a UL sort of way. Even better to be mindful (nearing wary) of motives behind such an intentionally close mark from elsewhere.
Trump would have said it differently.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
8,645 Posts
That is a beast of a wagon with just the right amount of patina, but what's up with the side trim?
Looks like carriage bolts holding it in place.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,172 Posts
I think he is sometimes strange. But I love when he calls bluff and skips diplomatic bs. Like the WHO letter. He has a talent for that (and should stick to it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5261 - 5280 of 5315 Posts